Lost my Cabin

Av8tor

Anyone else have something like this happen to their booking and what happened with it?

I was originally booked into C333, a cat JJ cabin on the Sapphire in 2 weeks and was fully paid. I called my TA to check on the cost of upgrading to A400, a BB balcony. He checked with Princess and the $1200 extra they quoted was more than I wanted to part with since I already have an AA mini-suite for my following cruise. Therfore, I said "No Thanks, we'll stay with what we have."

Lo and behold, a few days later, Princess is calling my TA to get the additional payment for the BB cabin. Seems they changed my booking anyway and have subsequently sold "my" original C333 to someone else. My TA wasn't happy and neither was I.

Princess "offered" to give us an obstructed view Cat F on Emerald deck at the original price (only about $72 more total), but we wanted to be on a higher deck closer to the pools and spa but still be mid-ship. The only cabins available in the original category or Cat F were either WAY forward or WAY aft. I had my TA offer to split the difference with Princess and keep the mid-ship BB and pay 1/2 the upgrade they quoted since it was their mistake, but they wouldn't budge...

Is this a common occurance for Princess?

How can they change a booking when you're just calling to ask how much an upgrade would be?

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to walk up/down 2 more flights of stairs on our way to/from the pools and spa and enjoy the lovely view of the lifeboat.

Frustrated,

Paul

Paul, it sounds like your TA might have messed up and isn't 'fessing up. There's no way, and I've never heard of it, someone can be upgraded at an additional price and lose their cabin without their TA putting in the request. If Princess had "accidentally" done this, your TA could have gotten your original cabin back. Princess might upgrade you if you have the default "will accept an upgrade" on your booking but that wouldn't have been at a penny more, i.e., you would have been upgraded at no additional cost to you. The fact that there's an additional cost leads me to believe that your TA put in the request.

Av8tor,

Welcome to my nightmare...

Despite what some people will tell you, Princess DOES make mistakes...

Something very similar to what happened to you recently happened to me...

Only I was lucky and I caught it BEFORE they sold my cabin to someone else.

I originally booked an HH guarantee, then, when I got my cabin assignment, I was not happy...but still had some options available..My TA, basically, called to figure out the options and someone at Princess mistakenly took it as a request to be thrown back into the guarantee pool...and went ahead and processed THAT order...

However, what we did was to re-book a specific FF cabin--which was confirmed by Princess...

AFTER that, the original loose cannon Princess rep went ahead and processed a move--NOT requested by me or my TA--to throw us back into the HH Guarantee pool--and I was assigned right back into the same objectionable cabin...

Certain regular posters on this board tried to tell me that this was an "upgrade" (one category DOWN???) and that it was MY fault for not marking my booking "Do not upgrade"...Of course, that was NOT the problem...

The problem was that Princess made an error...Their booking rep processed a move that we did NOT request...I didn't, my TA didn't...Purely a case of the Princess rep reading something into a conversation that just wasn't there...and not even recognizing that the booking was already specifically changed to a specific cabin at a higher price AFTER the misunderstood conversation...

I discovered the error when I was checking my booking and found my cabin changed and then found my booked cabin being offered on the booking page...

I was lucky...sounds like you were not...

Oh yeah...and the same posters on here also tried to tell me it was my TA's fault...Definitely wasn't...

Paul, it sounds like your TA might have messed up and isn't 'fessing up. There's no way, and I've never heard of it, someone can be upgraded at an additional price and lose their cabin without their TA putting in the request. If Princess had "accidentally" done this, your TA could have gotten your original cabin back. Princess might upgrade you if you have the default "will accept an upgrade" on your booking but that wouldn't have been at a penny more, i.e., you would have been upgraded at no additional cost to you. The fact that there's an additional cost leads me to believe that your TA put in the request.

I have to agree, Pam. This sounds extremely fishy to me. And, of course, the only story the customer has access to is the TAs. I don't think I'd buy this story.

Tee

Obviously, only your TA will know for sure. But, it seems the TA must have done more than just inquire about the cost of a cabin upgrade. Somehow, Princess had to have been told of your reservation and your desire to upgrade. There must have been confusion (or a lack of clarity) between Princess and your TA on exactly what the TA was looking for. If your TA gave your name and reservation info, he/she should have been clear that Princess was "to do nothing until the TA got back to confirm your desire to make the switch."

Sounds like you wanted an "upgrade" but wasn't willing to pay for it.

Princess gave you one anyway, but not to your liking.

This happens if you do not request - No Upgrades!!!!

In your personalizer there should be a box asking if you do not want an upgrade - check here.

Or you should have stated that to your TA.

If you like your cabin, it's best not to upgrade.

Cruise lines will move you to hard to sell cabins.

I was originally booked into C333, a cat JJ cabin on the Sapphire in 2 weeks and was fully paid. I called my TA to check on the cost of upgrading to A400, a BB balcony. He checked with Princess and the $1200 extra they quoted was more than I wanted to part with since I already have an AA mini-suite for my following cruise. Therfore, I said "No Thanks, we'll stay with what we have."

Lo and behold, a few days later, Princess is calling my TA to get the additional payment for the BB cabin. Seems they changed my booking anyway and have subsequently sold "my" original C333 to someone else. My TA wasn't happy and neither was I.

Princess "offered" to give us an obstructed view Cat F on Emerald deck at the original price (only about $72 more total), but we wanted to be on a higher deck closer to the pools and spa but still be mid-ship. The only cabins available in the original category or Cat F were either WAY forward or WAY aft. I had my TA offer to split the difference with Princess and keep the mid-ship BB and pay 1/2 the upgrade they quoted since it was their mistake, but they wouldn't budge...

How can they change a booking when you're just calling to ask how much an upgrade would be?

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to walk up/down 2 more flights of stairs on our way to/from the pools and spa and enjoy the lovely view of the lifeboat.

I have a gut feeling that the TA did it on her computer and changed the cabin to get the price and then couldn't get it back.

Just asking--can a TA actually make a change like that on her computer? I was always under the impression that any changes my TA made were done on the phone with a Princess rep. But I don't really know anything about the business.

Just asking--can a TA actually make a change like that on her computer? I was always under the impression that any changes my TA made were done on the phone with a Princess rep. But I don't really know anything about the business.

The TA absolutely can make that change, but if she clicked through too far, the change would have been confirmed (and she would have gotten a message that the record was updated).

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Yes, changes can be made by the travel agent by computer. If the TA does not know what they are doing it is VERY EASY to make this kind of mistake. There are no "do you really want to do this" screens in between.

Now that every Tom, Dick and Harry (and Harriet) can be a travel agent with minimal training, it is even more so important to work with agents that are familiar with the particular cruise line's software products. There is no guarantee, but finding an agent listed under the travel agent finder on the provider's website (in this case, find a Princess Commodore on the Princess site) is one step toward getting an agent that is more familiar with the process rather than one who just wants to make commission on something they know nothing about. Like I said, this is no guarantee of getting someone more knowledgeable but it is a step in the right direction.

Anyone else have something like this happen to their booking and what happened with it?

Frustrated,

Paul

Paul, I tend to agree with some of the others here. I would come back on the TA for this one. The TA should have been notified of the change when it occured and possibly didn't pay any attention to it. I don't think I would give up on this one so quickly, but insist the TA take care of this problem. That is what they are getting their commission for, and it's time they dig in and see how they can make this right for you.

Best of luck, and let us all know how this one turns out please. ;)

Whenever I make a change to my reservation - I get an email from Princess with the changes. I assume the Travel Agents get this also.

I would come back on the TA for this one. The TA should have been notified of the change when it occured and possibly didn't pay any attention to it. I don't think I would give up on this one so quickly, but insist the TA take care of this problem. That is what they are getting their commission for, and it's time they dig in and see how they can make this right for you.

Best of luck, and let us all know how this one turns out please. ;)

i agree. i book direct sometimes, and when i do if there are ANY (even miniscule) changes made to my booking i get an email from princess immediately. makes sense that a ta would get the email if they booked it for you.

that said, we all make mistakes. hopefully your ta can sort it out for you. let us know please.

The TA absolutely can make that change, but if she clicked through too far, the change would have been confirmed (and she would have gotten a message that the record was updated).

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Were you on the phone on hold when your TA contacted Princess or did the TA have to call you back?

I have to agree with Rich. It sounds more like TA may have went on their own to check prices and upgraded you by going too far in.

But on the other hand, I've seen plenty of instances of the cruise line making errors like this as well, so who really knows. If a Princess rep. really did make the error, I'd think they'd be adding a little something for the error, like an OBC or something.

I'd be calling the Manager of the agency to try and find out what really happened and see if you can get a bit more from someoe.

Princess should have sent a new booking notification to the TA as soon as they changed the cabin.

I haven't had a problem with Princess but had something similar recently with Royal Caribbean. I'm sailing with a bunch of friends in Sept 2009 and about 8 of us have all booked aft balconies. I had paid my deposit and had cabin assigned. About 6 weeks later when I got my C/C statement it had a credit from RCL on that I couldn't figure out what for. Called my TA and RCL had cancelled my booking for some reason and refunded my deposit! Luckily since is was still a long way out my TA got my original aft balcony back. Neither of us could figuure out why RCL had cancelled the booking when neither of us had even called them afetr the initial booking

I also agree it had to have been your TA. I book directly with Princess and any little changes I make come with an immediate email confirmation. What happened to you is one of the reasons I book direct, then I know I have control of my own reservation. It costs me more but it's worth it to me.

If TAs can go online to inquire about upgrades, would that apply to airfare also?

I called my TA and asked what Princess would want for airfare from LAX to Rome and Venice back to LAX for my upcoming Med cruise. She put me on hold, I assumed she was calling Princess. Came back and told me $1600 pp, I told her NO, I thought I could do better on my own.

I DID NOT received any kind of notice, email or invoice change.

Maybe a month later, I went to the on-line personalizer to see if excursions were available to pre-book yet, and in my personalizer it showed Princess airfare???

I immediately called the TA, told her the situation, and she had it removed. AGAIN, I RECEIVED NO notice, email or invoice change.

I had my original invoice, the invoice with the fuel surcharge added, the invoice with the fuel surcharge removed, and when I made final payment I received an invoice indicating full payment. None of my invoices ever showed any Princess airfare.

So either Princess rep made the change, even though it was only an inquiry, or the TA did it on-line? Not sure if airfare could be done on-line the same as the cabin change.

Want to talk big messes. Try booking airfare a year in advance, then a month before the trip, have a flight cancelled :eek: Instead of flying on Saturday, Nov 1, we now have to fly Sunday, Nov 2 from Paris to LAX then I have to be at work at 6 am on Monday, Nov 3. Ought to be interesting! No big deal to the TA, or the airline, just sent me an email. Unfortunately, it's a BIG DEAL to me!

Thanks for all the replies...

I booked through a large internet agency specializing in cruises so I'd hope they knew what they were doing, but you can never tell just how long the particular agent you have on the phone has worked as a TA...

I initiated the call to the agency to check how much it would cost me to change to the balcony cabin and was holding on the phone with the agent when he called Princess. After the price quote proved too high (since it wasn't a "new" booking) I told the agent to nevermind and just keep things they way they were.

The agency says that's what they told Princess, but Princess says they have no definitive way to prove who was at fault for the mix-up. Either way, I'm the "one left holding the bag."

By the time the error was discovered, my original cabin was no longer available. I ended up talking the "upgraded" OOV forward cabin even though it wasn't located where we wanted to be. We'll still have fun on the cruise and we'll get a little more exercise going up and down the stairs and walking the companion ways more.

I'll also remember in the future to INSIST that my agent positively verify that NO changes were made to my booking after an inquiry or that any changes that were done, were actually what I wanted!!!

Happy Sailing!

Paul

By the time the error was discovered, my original cabin was no longer available. I ended up talking the "upgraded" OOV forward cabin even though it wasn't located where we wanted to be. We'll still have fun on the cruise and we'll get a little more exercise going up and down the stairs and walking the companion ways more.
Great attitude and no matter what happens, you'll have a terrific time.

As an FYI, I concur with several of the others in that whenever ANY change is made to my booking, my TA sends me an updated confirmation. I review it very closely to make sure it's what I want and verify with my TA that it is. If I don't get the updated confirmation, I call and ask her to send it. And, to repeat, I always go over every single confirmation line-by-line to make sure everything is accurate. Never assume that it's 100% accurate no matter how much you trust your TA. They're human too and you are your own best advocate.

Archived