Food on River Ships

Elyilona

... I think that it's unproductive and unrealistic to even try to compare the food on an ocean liner to a river cruise ship.

Amen!

I recall an Alaska cruise where we were royally fed!!

It was Dutch and there was this chocolate buffet ... aah ...

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/chocolate_buffet.jpg

Concerning the comments of Elyilona, I've run across similar comments before ... on numerous tours of Europe and China.

It's difficult to understand why anyone would "blame" the quality of the food, the tour, the guides (or anything else) on the lesser expectations of non-Americans.

(I must admit the tastiest food I've had was in ... uh ... Texas.)

I am checking out the river cruise companies, Uniworld, Avalon, Viking re a cruise next year. Only did the 'big ships' in the past. I too find the original post on this thread off putting. I mean if the meals were 'geared to Aussies' was the main course at dinner called a Main as we call it or an Entree as the Americans call it? Looking at a sample menu for the river ships..it looks like the main course is an Entree, there you go the menu is Americanised ! The pax lists, U.S., Aussie, Canadian, British look to be much the same as on the ocean going passenger ships, that is good.

As stated, I have yet to do a river cruise in Europe but I can understand with limited galley space and catering staff, one cannot expect the variety of food served say on Princess Cruise Lines. I hope to experience it for myself next year, looking to going on Uniworld - River Duchess, Amsterdam to Vienna.

By the way which line serves the bust 'tucker', Avalon, Viking or Uniworld?

Hi NSWP.......

Please don't let this post put you off river cruising.

You're booked on the same ship that I've done my 2 river cruises on and I have nothing but positive things to say about River Duchess.

As far as the food goes, I was very pleased with almost everything that I was served. The chef is wonderful.

There was a fish that they served on the first or second night on both cruises, that I would caution you on.

It was one that I had never heard of and it was very fishy tasting.

That was the only thing that I didn't care for. There was other choices on the menu that I could have ordered, but didn't.

I think that the general concensus of all the posters that have commented on the initial post, is that they all have been relatively pleased.

The initial post was a rambling that didn't make much sense.......

Thanks Tiggypooo for those kind words of encouragement. I take posts on CC with a grain of salt, one can read between the lines, if you know what I mean. Glad you enjoyed River Duchess. I have not booked yet, but 90% sure of doing it. I just think having done several trips on the big ships, River Cruising would be a much different experience. I have ALL the glossy books!

Have been reading this thread with great amusement, and I agree with Sanny, poor Elyilona must be ruing her choice of words…

Now, as an Australian who lived in the US for 17 years, and who still visits often, I think I have seen a bit of both of both countries’ food preferences. The truth is I had some awful food in the US, and some wonderful food. And I have had awful food in Oz, and wonderful food. And people willing to settle for mediocre food without complaint in both countries. Or when they are relaxing on holiday, so long as actual food poisoning isn’t involved. As a foodie though I would be the first to complain about awful food on a river cruise boat, or anywhere else. So would all my foodie friends and family – though in the case of a local restaurant you vote with your feet. Maybe Elyilona was travelling with a more laid back group of Aussies…can’t speak for the Canadians.

For the record, I thought that the food on our recent APT cruise on “Sound of Music” Amsterdam to Istanbul was good, and I believe similar to APT Amadeus Waterways ships’ food. In fact it was at least as good as food we had on Celebrity Millennium on a month-long cruise to South America, and way better than on a Yangtze cruise on Victoria Cruise Line. We travel a lot (though are quite new to cruising – it’s a recent pastime as we grow more geriatric). Trying interesting restaurants and drinking good wine is always an important aspect of our travel plans. Actually I would be more critical of the “free” wine served on our European cruise than the food; the wine was quite ordinary, and there was little choice.

I wonder if anyone on the board has ever been to a river cruise that did not cater to our English speaking brothers an was made up of 90% europeans. Do the French, German, Dutch and Swiss accept such poor quality. They are accustomed to really good meals?I saw many other river cruisers with such passengers. Elyilona

We were on a CroisiEurope (French) cruise in Portugal. We were the only Americans; there were no Canadians or Australians.

The chef was French, and the menu was geared towards local Portuguese & Spanish cuisine, but with a gourmet flair.

There was no choice in the menu either (unless I imagine if you specifically ask ahead). Soup, appetizer, main, cheese & dessert. But the staff was very accommodating. Sometimes the waiter would suggest ordering the appetizer as a full meal for our 2 boys if he felt they wouldn't like the main course.

Everything served was top-notch, if a little different to what we are accustomed. Even my husband, the ever-critical family cook, was floored by the meals. The wine selections (not included) were good too.

I do feel that the type of guest determines the meal choices of the cruise line. Personally, I can't see my fellow Americans accepting only one menu choice, or opting for the gourmet over the familiar.

I do regret any comments about Australian or Canadian appreciation of fine food.What i actually meant was they are more accepting without too much complaining. Americans for the most part accept ordinary food when better presentation and service is available, whenever they feel like doing it. My cruise on Avalon Artistry had two nights of adequate dining. We let european river cruise lines get away with it by not complaining.The standard should be up to par every day.Concerning geriatric comment I mean persons over 75 who are often very polite , too polite to complain. I hope this long discussion hits the point that river cruise ships are not up to the standards of ocean liners. The question is: should they be. Many restaurants with small kitchens easily serve 125 dinners in a night with fine food. Take a look at the restaurant kitchen in your favorite city where the cost of real estate is high and you will find most as small as or smaller than the galley of a river cruiser. The reason the food is fine in a better restaurant is the quality of meat and produce used and a good chef and staff, Avalon artistry does not have it. Elyilona

Archived