need advice on going Carnival

rushedmom

I didn't mean to say that RCI has more tasteful activities than CCL. Even my comment that the rooms were more tastefully decorated on RCI was badly stated, so I apologize. I should have said that the decor was more to my taste personally. Again, not everyone would be bored on CCL, but it was our experience (We were an extended family of 27 ranging in age from 8 to 83. Many of us were, inconceivably perhaps, bored at times.). RCI does have a full basketball court, rock climbing wall, ice skating show, mini golf and a variety of activites that just happen to appeal more to my family. It does not mean to say that one cruise line is worse or better than the other, simply that they are different and that for my family the difference did affect our enjoyment of the experience. Carnival is sometimes more convenient and less expensive than RCI, but it simply doesn't siut us as well. I am sure that there have been people with the opposite opinion. My explanation of our experience was meant to illustrate our feelings for the consideration of someone who may experience the same likes and dislikes. I believe that for those that enjoy the Carnival experience, CCL provides a great cruise. I also feel that both lines advertise their product very well so that what you expect is very similar to what you get. Looking carefully at their brochures and videos illustrates the lines' position beautifully.

As to the guests, it is probably true that this type of situation could happen on any cruise or cruiseline. No one has to pass a courtesy test in order to board, at least as far as I know. It may well be that it just happened this way for us on the one CCL cruise that we were on. It is most probably no more true of CCL than RCI overall. I have never experienced it on RCI, is all.

The cliche 'Different strokes for different folks' seems to apply.

It is my hope that everyone here enjoy their cruise experience on whichever line they choose.

Dorie

I totally get the being bored on Carnival thing. I am a very active person, and there was just nothing for me to do. So, I'd get another drink.:o Their daily newsletter of activities had huge spaces between each one - whereas on RC you have to squint to be able to read the activites, as there are so many of them. If all you like to do is sit by a pool, it wouldn't matter what cruiseline you are on, really. I want to keep moving - can't stand to sit. This is not to say that I would never sail on Carnival again; I might try a new ship one day.;)

I love to cruise . yes they are differnet things on booth lines. however I like carnival maybe its me. I am however going on the Mariner in Dec and I will also enjoy it . I have to laugh at this because I feel you make your cruise. not the ship. I love RCCL tastefull designs. I love my bigger balcony on Carnival. I like I can make a cruise no matte what .

Dorie: Whoops...I hope my post didn't come off as a "smack down." That certainly wasn't my intention. I think "different strokes for different folks" is true, and even our cruises on the same line have been quite different from each other, so I guess "labeling" a cruise line isn't fair. Our favorite cruises sometimes have nothing to do with food, activities or amenities, but simply fond memories of time spent w/our loved ones and friends. Happy cruising to all...

FrannyK, nothing that you said was in any way problematic.

I was just concerned because I truly didn't mean to offend anyone. Just wanted to share our experience in case it might be helpful. Then realized I might be sounding more judgemental than I intended.:o In the end we did enjoy the time spent with loved ones which, as you say, is what is important.

Dorie:)

Give Conquest a try. We've not been on her but are booked for the end of November. We have been on Carnival Spirit and thought it was a beautiful ship-and very, very clean. Food was great!

We have cruised on RCI and found the experience lacking. Food was bad, staff had attitude. They allowed my seven year old to check himself out of the kids club and wander the ship alone. We spotted him going up in one of the glass elevators and had to chase him down. Of course this could have just been a one off. Who knows? We have no plans to ever cruise RCI again.

To me, both lines are very similar. Have you read any of the reviews on Conquest? I think you'll find lots of favorable opinions. We are very much looking forward to our upcoming Conquest cruise. BTW, I should state that NCL is our very favorite line, however, Carnival is a close second though :)

The last 3 summers we sailed on Carnival. We had a good time. The food was great. Next summer though we are going on rcl Freedom of the seas. It looks like there is alot more to do on the Freedom of the seas than taking another Carnival ship out.

I've never been on the Conquest though, so I can't help. You might want to try the Carnival board. I'm sure you will find alot of information over there. Good luck and happy sailing.

I've sailed on both and find them very similar. Service was great on both. Friendly staff on both. The shows were of similar quality. Similar shore excursions offered. Accomodations/staterooms were similar, lots of storage on both. Both ships were super clean and maintained.

I liked the decor on RCCL much better. Carnival decor is a litle more "out there". I loved that RCCL had a strictly enforced adult's only pool. The one Carnival cruise I have been on was lacking that. I believe some of the bigger Carnival ships have adult only areas now.

Things that I preferred on Carnival were the food and the price. When booking for a family of 4, a small difference in price per person can make a big difference.

In summary I would sail either line again.

The cruises that I have booked in the future have been based on itinerary and price. Some off the on-board amenities that are offered on RCCL are not available on Carnival such as rock-climbing and flowriders but since I would not bother with these types of activities I really don't mind that they are not available on other lines.

I suggest that you try it and see for yourself. Everyone has different ideas of what they want for an overall cruise experience. I prefer RCI MUCH more over that of Carnival. No comparison in ships. IMHO the Conquest class is the worst designed ship to date that I have cruised. It was a cattle call. I also find that the crew on RCI is much more friendly.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

One question for those that have been on conquest do they have a work out facility? (the carnival web site is not working very well so I can't tell)

Yes, they have a very nice Gym and Spa on the Conquest class. I have not been on the Conquest but her sister ship the Glory, liked it so much we got married on it. I love both lines for various reasons but honestly the simlarities are more than the differences. Especially if price and port location is a factor.

We went on a FREE Carnival cruise last Christmas (brother in law brought the entire extended family). I also thoght any cruise is better than on land. I didn't enjoy the experience and feel that if it had been my first cruise, I probabaly wouldn't cruise again.

The good:

The rooms are bigger and extremely comfortable on Carnival.

The food is marginally better in the main dining room, IMHO. (Warm chocolate melting cake.Yummmy)

There is a self service laundry.

The price was very good. (FREE for us, low for BIL)

The bad:

The decor is not for me. I do find pleasant surroundings enhance or garish decor detracts from my vacation experience.

We were bored. when you are used to the varied and entertaining options on RCI, hairy chest contests leave me cold.

The floors were so slippery in the buffet dining area that no matter how careful we were several of our party fell and were hurt. I didn't, but it was close often.

The attitude of fellow passengers surprised me on times. Groups of LOUD, shouting teens would roam the halls near cabins. When asked to please lower their voices because of others trying to sleep, they became verbally abusive.

There were decks that you couldn't go from one of the ship to the other on, overall a confusing layout.

Kids from our group were bored. Hubby & others disappoiinted in the small sports area.

Before I went, I was interested in trying Carnival. As a result of this experience I wouldn't bother to sail with them again. We love RCI.

In response to the 'Good' aspects of Carnival:

RCI balcony cabins are smaller but are more tastefully decorated and are

very well organized.

RCI has a full laundry service, which is fine for the occasional need.

The food is acceptable on RCI, just not as good.

Some people love Carnival. the things that are important to them are different than what is important to me. Fortunately, we all have a choice.

Hope this helps,

Dorie

I am almost lockstep with Dorie except that I rate the RCI main dining room food a bit better than what I found on the Conquest, with perhaps the exception of Carnival's great desserts. I found the Conquest food thick tasting, lacking in a proper blend of seasonings.

The buffet dining on the Conquest was rather close in quality to the dining room, which I found surprising.

Like Dorie, I nearly met with disaster on the buffet dining floor more than once.

This is lawsuit waiting to happen.

We've sailed twice on the Conquest when she sailed out of New Orleans (same itinerary as Galveston). We have also sailed other Carnival ships, this past May we were on the Valor. The Conquest is a nice ship with lots to do if you want to partake. The food is actually very good (try the alternative restaurant Scarlett's....wonderful & at $30 per person, well worth it). There is a sushi bar, deli, Asian resturants, yogert & ice cream machines, great pizza, buffet is, well a buffet. Dinners in the main dining room are really great (never tried breakfast or lunch in the main DR). All of these are included in your base fare. Don't forget to try the coffee bar. There is a slight charge but the specialty coffee's they serve are wonderful! Lots going on in the discos & clubs. Huge area for the kids with their own nightclub (teens have their own too). Main shows are pretty good for the most part. Final show is made up of talent from the passengers which we feel is the best show of the week. They may not have a Mango Tango, so try a Dirty Banana instead, or a mango margarita or daqueri. Cabin ammenities include a basket of toiletries & a nice, plush terry robe. The Carnival sleep system beds are also great.

On our 2nd Conquest cruise a few years ago, they even presented an interactive ( midnight :0) Rocky Horror Picture Show! Never heard of this on a cruise ship before & it was well attended & a RIOT! I can still picture the assistant cruise director in spike heels, corset & fishnet hose! His name was Kevin!LOL Carnival pushes the envelope a little which is a nice change every once in a while.

This May, we are 'jumping the Carnival ship' and sailing on the Mariner, which we have admired for several years now. This will be our 2nd RCL cruise. After our Valor cruise, we all felt that after 7 Carnival cruises, it was time to switch to other cruise lines. We can't put our finger on it but we just got tired of Carnival. Can't wait for our Mariner cruise!

We've sailed twice on the Conquest when she sailed out of New Orleans (same itinerary as Galveston). We have also sailed other Carnival ships, this past May we were on the Valor. The Conquest is a nice ship with lots to do if you want to partake. The food is actually very good (try the alternative restaurant Scarlett's....wonderful & at $30 per person, well worth it). There is a sushi bar, deli, Asian resturants, yogert & ice cream machines, great pizza, buffet is, well a buffet. Dinners in the main dining room are really great (never tried breakfast or lunch in the main DR). All of these are included in your base fare. Don't forget to try the coffee bar. There is a slight charge but the specialty coffee's they serve are wonderful! Lots going on in the discos & clubs. Huge area for the kids with their own nightclub (teens have their own too). Main shows are pretty good for the most part. Final show is made up of talent from the passengers which we feel is the best show of the week. They may not have a Mango Tango, so try a Dirty Banana instead, or a mango margarita or daqueri. Cabin ammenities include a basket of toiletries & a nice, plush terry robe. The Carnival sleep system beds are also great.

On our 2nd Conquest cruise a few years ago, they even presented an interactive ( midnight :0) Rocky Horror Picture Show! Never heard of this on a cruise ship before & it was well attended & a RIOT! I can still picture the assistant cruise director in spike heels, corset & fishnet hose! His name was Kevin!LOL Carnival pushes the envelope a little which is a nice change every once in a while.

This May, we are 'jumping the Carnival ship' and sailing on the Mariner, which we have admired for several years now. This will be our 2nd RCL cruise. After our Valor cruise, we all felt that after 7 Carnival cruises, it was time to switch to other cruise lines. We can't put our finger on it but we just got tired of Carnival. Can't wait for our Mariner cruise!

Thanks for the info this is very helpful. Enjoy your cruise on the Mariner I hear it is a wonderful ship.

Help we are loyal Royals but due to our summer schedule and the fact that RC is not sailing out of Galveston next summer we might have to sail on Carnival. (their site is not real helpful other than photos)

Can anyone tell me about the Carnival Conquest? I am interested in knowing info about suites (any perks) Teen club activites, ship in general, things to do on board?

Will we be to spoiled by RC to enjoy Carnival???

Any words of wisdom apprecated

I cruise on both lines and the differences are so minor as to be almost no existent.

The only Carnival suite perks are VIP boarding, so if you are looking for suite perks forget it.

The teen clubs are as busy and have more activities on carnival than they do on RCCL according to my teens.

The things to do on board are very similar. RCCL seems to have a few less rowdy events, but they are pretty similar. Shopping is about the same.

Carnival's cabins tend to be a bit larger. Food is so subjective that it is hard to say much of anything, but I don't find the food on either to be any better quality than a mass market restaurant on shore. None of it is special IMO.

Service is about the same, but maybe I don't expect much, a cabin cleaned in the morning and turn down service at night with plenty of fresh towels. Dining room service is the same on both lines.

Carnival has a much better buffet including an 24 pizza and 24 hour soft serve ice creme.

Hope this helps some.

I finally tried Carnival last month...and liked it. The food was better, the cabins bigger. On RCL the lines were shorter. Service was excellent on both, and I didn't notice any difference in demographics, though many have commented about that. We would sail on either line again without hesitation.

I agree. It sounds like some high school spirit competition. But I am generally no fun. :D

Then just do what I always do, not participate. I couldn't even tell you what color I was because I never paid attention. It just didn't matter to me.

Judy

Worth mentioning for dining options on Carnival Conquest, the pool grills. They serve fresh cooked (right in front of you) hamburgers & hot dogs. Combine that with all the trimmings for the burgers, chili for the hot dogs, great, slightly spicy chicken strips, & make it your way nachos...YUM! This is where we ate lunch on most days. :p

My best advice is to just try it. But here is our experience.

Conquest was our first cruise. As I have always said, while I don't have anything to compare it with, it far surpassed my expectations. It was wonderful.

The food was great, the bed was so comfortable, the staff was excellent, and there was a WIDE variety of ages of people. While they call it the "fun" cruise, we saw alot of senior citizens there!

I will and continue to have nothing but GREAT things to say about Carnival. This is my opinion only. Jeri

I went on the Carnival Legend last October. So far I would rate it as my favorite cruise. I am going to Hawaii next month on RCI Radiance. I hope it lives up to my Carnival experience. The food was amazing. Rack of lamb (not shanks) and creme brulee the first night. Outstanding service. THE MOST comfortable beds. I wish mine at home was that comfortable. Big fluffy comfy robes in the closet. I loved the adults only swimming pool. It was nice and quiet. There were all ages onboard but more of an older crowd because of the time of year. Certainly not a party hearty crowd like the old Carnival reputation.

Archived