Barcelona ?'s

mw112208

I don't know too much about the HOHO bus...but there are plenty of "Don't Miss" attractions...

Here's MY list:

1) La Sagrada Familia...Simply the most amazing building I've ever seen...anywhere...Designed by Antoni Gaudi...(more Gaudi to come)

2) Parc Guell...Another Gaudi masterpiece--what happens when they allow a madman to design a park...

3) Casa Mila...Yup, more Gaudi...make certain to go up onto the roof...

4) Casa Batllo...Guess what? Another Gaudi work...Someone let the architect from the Twilight Zone design a private residence...

5) Las Ramblas--Barcelona's great strolling Promenade...

6) Bari Gotic and the Old Cathedral--wander the narrow streets of the Gothic Quarter...

7) Picasso Museum

Lots more to see, but those are easily MY Top 7--especially the Gaudi works...You will leave amazed...and wondering just what drugs the man was able to find in 19th Century Barcelona...

Go to Google Maps and look at the satellite view of Barcelona. Zoom in and you will see a cruise ship docked in the Harbor. That was where the Emerald tied up when we were there in May of this year. Pretty good hike to the Christoper Columbus monument and the rest of Barcelona. The HOHO buses are always mobbed with long lines waiting. Take a cab if you are short on time.

49er

I don't believe there are any HOHO stops near the port. I may be wrong, but we did the HOHO last fall and I don't remember our route taking us close to that area of the waterfront.

We arrived three days prior to our cruise in September and stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo on Las Ramblas. I would highly recommend staying on, or within walking distance, of Las Ramblas. Barcelona is a fantastic city and Las Ramblas is a very vibrant area.

Placa de Catalunya is a large square at the head of Las Ramblas where the HOHO buses begin and end their routes. The HOHO bus is a great way to see this beautiful city. Plan to spend a few days there if you can.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

I wish we had longer but we're only in Barcelona for one day while on our transatlantic. Looks like the best bet is to set out on foot from the cruise terminal up Las Ramblas, thru the Bari Gotic to La Sagrada Familia and on to Parc Guell. Then maybe a taxi back to the ship. Thanks Bruin Steve for the impressive list of must see's. All very Suessical :D I'm sure we won't see everything in just one day but we'll do our best.

The main reason for considering the HoHo is because our friend has had neck and back surgery. But instead it might be better if he takes a cab to the next site while we hoof it. Who knows, he might just feel up to walking too.

BTW - I just found an interactive map with photos which helped me get my bearings with regard to the cruise port. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-map.html

Maggie:D

BTW - I just found an interactive map with photos which helped me get my bearings with regard to the cruise port. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-map.html

That shows the cruise terminal where we docked several years ago. Last year our Princess ship was about a mile to the left of that terminal.

The port had a shuttle bus to about 2 blocks from Las Ramblas for about 2 Euros each way at that time.

mw112208,

It is an extremely ambitious walk you are planning.

The Ramblas, Bari Gotic and Paseo de Gracia (with Gaudi's Casa Mila & Batllo) are walkable; the others I would do on metro or taxi.

By all means do inside visits in both C. Mila & Batllo to get the most out of it - quite incredible inside & out.

Have fun!

I wish we had longer but we're only in Barcelona for one day while on our transatlantic. Looks like the best bet is to set out on foot from the cruise terminal up Las Ramblas...
Google maps gives the walking distance at about 3.8km (52 minutes) from the pier to Las Ramblas.

Since this is only a port stop, I would suggest you look into Princess' or other excursions that will leave from the pier. Walking to Las Ramblas, although it can be done, will be a fun thing to do, but it will give you just a small taste of what Barcelona is all about. To get an overall feeling of this great city you need to experience more than just Las Ramblas.

Lew

The HOHO bus is definitely the way to go. We've done this a number of times both staying in Barcelona and as a cruise stop. The blue, southern, route of the HOHO has a stop at World Trade Center, which is right at the foot of La Rambla and, depending on where you are docked, maybe a mile or so from the ship. One ticket on the bus gets you all 3 lines (2 lines in the winter) and you can access all of the sites referenced here. It is simple, relatively inexpensive compared to a ship excursion, and allows you to be in control of your day.

Archived