transfer from Rome to Port

jagi

In 2003 in with rain coming down sideways our driver made it in about 75 minutes -- then again he was absolutely out of his mind and talking on two cell phones simultaneously nonstop -- so clearly he had a very good reasons for not seeing whatever speed limit signs may have been posted.So this trip we are taking the train:p

In 2003 in with rain coming down sideways our driver made it in about 75 minutes -- then again he was absolutely out of his mind and talking on two cell phones simultaneously nonstop -- so clearly he had a very good reasons for not seeing whatever speed limit signs may have been posted.So this trip we are taking the train:p

I love it. Great comments. best advice is to sit back and close your eyes. :D

The other thing that amazes me when we are driven in Rome is those on the motor bikes as they move from lane to lane. To me it's an accident in the making.

Keith

Then again there are the motorbikes in Saigon (or to be PC, Ho Chi Minh City).Before we left on that trip my manicurist, who is from Saigon, gave me some advice. She said when you want to cross the street just step out into the traffic and keep walking at a steady pace and don't look at anyone of the thousands of people around you on motorbikes. It took alot of faith in her her advice and nerves of steel to do that but it worked perfectly -- I made it to all of the shops and back to the ship in one piece. But boy was I ready for a nice cold glass of champagne!

Then again there are the motorbikes in Saigon (or to be PC, Ho Chi Minh City).Before we left on that trip my manicurist, who is from Saigon, gave me some advice. She said when you want to cross the street just step out into the traffic and keep walking at a steady pace and don't look at anyone of the thousands of people around you on motorbikes. It took alot of faith in her her advice and nerves of steel to do that but it worked perfectly -- I made it to all of the shops and back to the ship in one piece. But boy was I ready for a nice cold glass of champagne!

I do the same thing in Livorno. In the case of Livorno it's the automobiles rather than the motor bikes. What I do is if traffic is going from left to right I stand to the right of a few locals. I wait for them to cross and then as soon as they start I walk. I figure they know what they are doing and if not they will be in arms way rather than me. :p

Keith

Another interesting taxi ride can be in India; such as Mumbai. The drivers would like to take you all over town to all sorts of stores. One has to carefully negotiatie cab fare (which can be dirt cheap) and be very clear that you want to go for point A to point B and do not want to go all over the city for shopping. And you drive around in cabs from the 1950's. But good news is that prices for cabs are cheap and somehow they get you there.

Keith

Tiilylovesseabourn, we MUST have had the same driver. By the time we got to Civitaveccia I was ready to bolt out of the car and kiss the ground -- I did not care how much it was raining. But it did make our "homecoming" onto the Spirit that much more special -- though we almost ended up on the Legend. It was in port at the same time but quite a distance from the Spirit and our driver kept wanting to drop us off in front of the Legend. Clearly he was anxious to get rid of us and pick up another unsuspecting customer and give them the thrill of their life.

Perhaps we were lucky the two times we were in Istanbul -- never had a scary taxi ride there. have not yet been to Mumbai -- will store that info for future use!

Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but this could be a new seabourn experience -- they could attract a younger generation of thrill seekers by advertising it as both a thrill ride and immersion into Italian culture.

For my part, next Saturday it will definitely be the train.The only excitement I want on the 20th is getting that first glass of champagne on board the Legend.(This decision is also based on the fact that I just checked the long range forecase at Itellicast and they are predicting rain and thunder -- definitely don't need a repeat of my last journey from town to port).

Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but this could be a new seabourn experience -- they could attract a younger generation of thrill seekers by advertising it as both a thrill ride and immersion into Italian culture.

For my part, next Saturday it will definitely be the train.The only excitement I want on the 20th is getting that first glass of champagne on board the Legend.(This decision is also based on the fact that I just checked the long range forecase at Itellicast and they are predicting rain and thunder -- definitely don't need a repeat of my last journey from town to port).

You know to inflict pain! When your state that you will be going next Saturday....it really hurts not to be going as well!...but...we do wish you a wonderful trip...and just to show how we do not harbor ill feelings..we will force ourselves to open a bottle of Moet and Chandon and toast you a Bon Voyage! Lola and Don

Lola/Don,

Thanks, we are starting to get very excited (we leave on Tuesday) -- especially since our luggage is gone -- no trauma of packing to interfere with that excitement. We shall endeaver to leave some champagne for you -- November is not that far away.

Archived