Share Tips On How Not To Gain Weight On A Cruise!!!

mjfeaster

i too am on the weight watchers band wagon. I had lost 30lbs before our cruise and was determined not to gain it back. I always went to the buffet for breakfast, but each day I ate a yogurt and granola. For lunch I had a salad and for dinner I ate what I wanted in small portions. With that mixed in with all the walking I actually came home to find that I lost 2lbs!!!!

Self restraint works every time.

Have you looked around? Do you only see skinny people everywhere? Self restraint does not work every time as the millions, probablly billions of dollars spent a year on diet aids. I have lost 24 pounds and would like to keep it off so suggestions on alternative foods or ideas are appreciated. Self restraint only last so long before I want to eat a warm cookie w/ tea or have a dessert along with everyone else at dinner. At 40 years of age, it takes a whole lot more work to maintain weight control. Anyway, I really appreciate all of the good advice I got from other posters. Some things I didn't even know were on the Princess Menu!

Have you looked around? Do you only see skinny people everywhere? Self restraint does not work every time as the millions, probablly billions of dollars spent a year on diet aids. I have lost 24 pounds and would like to keep it off so suggestions on alternative foods or ideas are appreciated. Self restraint only last so long before I want to eat a warm cookie w/ tea or have a dessert along with everyone else at dinner. At 40 years of age, it takes a whole lot more work to maintain weight control. Anyway, I really appreciate all of the good advice I got from other posters. Some things I didn't even know were on the Princess Menu!

Actually self restraint is necessary. Why do you HAVE to have that cookie? Who is forcing you? So you mean you can't control yourself? I too have lost weight and IMHO have realized that at times you can indulge but its knowing when and how much and how often that is important. No offense but if you don't show self restraint or shall I tone it down by saying prudence then you will repeat the same pattern that had to overeat in the first place. Last May/June in a two week vacation period that included 3 days on land and 7 days at sea I lost two lbs. I exercised regularly and tried to eat wisely. If there was a desert I really wanted then I got it but had a taste, a few bites and left it. Afterall what do you really want and what do you really need. Do you want that extra bulk or do you want to be happy when you look in the mirror? If its the latter then you need to know when to say no. Thats the inner part that knows what, when and how much. JM2C. I had a nice meal out last nigh prior to seeing a play. Breakfast today was light. Now I'm off to the gym. :D

Actually self restraint is necessary. Why do you HAVE to have that cookie? Who is forcing you? So you mean you can't control yourself? I too have lost weight and IMHO have realized that at times you can indulge but its knowing when and how much and how often that is important. No offense but if you don't show self restraint or shall I tone it down by saying prudence then you will repeat the same pattern that had to overeat in the first place. Last May/June in a two week vacation period that included 3 days on land and 7 days at sea I lost two lbs. I exercised regularly and tried to eat wisely. If there was a desert I really wanted then I got it but had a taste, a few bites and left it. Afterall what do you really want and what do you really need. Do you want that extra bulk or do you want to be happy when you look in the mirror? If its the latter then you need to know when to say no. Thats the inner part that knows what, when and how much. JM2C. I had a nice meal out last nigh prior to seeing a play. Breakfast today was light. Now I'm off to the gym. :D

You sound very self righteous as if you have no vices at all. Do you have self restraint in all areas of your life? The internet gives people this freedom to say things they normally wouldn't say face to face. Tell me, if you were sitting accross from me at the dinning table on the cruise, would you ask me if I enjoy that extra bulk? Or if want to be happy when I look in the mirror. Maybe, hey have some self restraint and put the fork down? You know, we are here in this forum to get advice for a cruise, a vacation. I don't appreciate being told to "not go on the cruise" or "have self restraint". It would be a lot more beneficial for people to not say things that they wouldn't say face to face!!!!!! I just want some tips...please move to another thread if any of you posters don't have anything really helpful to say.

You sound very self righteous as if you have no vices at all. Do you have self restraint in all areas of your life? The internet gives people this freedom to say things they normally wouldn't say face to face. Tell me, if you were sitting accross from me at the dinning table on the cruise, would you ask me if I enjoy that extra bulk? Or if want to be happy when I look in the mirror. Maybe, hey have some self restraint and put the fork down? You know, we are here in this forum to get advice for a cruise, a vacation. I don't appreciate being told to "not go on the cruise" or "have self restraint". It would be a lot more beneficial for people to not say things that they wouldn't say face to face!!!!!! I just want some tips...please move to another thread if any of you posters Yes I would say it to face to face. The www does not allow one to show facial expressions or hear a tone of voice so we are limited to interpret what printed words mean. I would not, like you have interpreted, say it as a put down. However I do feel stronly that what I said is true and honest and not judgemental as you may think it is. I suggest you calm down and not overreact. I am trying to help you and am trying to do so by saying what I believe to be true. BTW I am 56 and I know its not easy to lose weight but I have found something that I think is necessary and that is to change your attitude about food, hence the refernece to the craving for that cookie. I also think you need to change your attitude about honest advice and not read more into it than what it is. You have asked for advice and I have given you some. You got what you wanted so don't complain. I think its you who is being self righteous. This may not be the advice you wanted but it may be what you need to hear, like it or not. So if you don't enjoy that extra bulk then what is plan to take it off and keep it off? I guarantee it will necessitate a change it attitude about that cookie and alot more too. Now if you have calmed down now let me share what has worked and I think is sensible:

1. A meal should consist of at least three food groups. For breakfast on the last cruise I took I had skim milk, fresh fruit, whole grain bagel with low fat cream cheese, lox, an egg-beaters omelet or some combo of this. It worked.

2. Drink alot of water.

3. Eat about 5 times per day and don't skip breakfast. This starts and sustains your metabolism.

4. Exercise at least three times per week.

5. Eat complex carbohydrates, low fat dairy products, fresh fruit and veges, lean protein (a serving should be about the size of a deck of cards) and moderate to small amts. of healthy fats such as olive oil, avocado and natural pnb.

6. Moderate alcohol. Only fat has more calories per gram than alcohol.

7. Commit to all of the above as a permanent cahnge in your life style. You can only improve your health.

8. Finally keep your eye on the prize. That is the person you would like to be. Is that the one you see now? Finally listen to the message, don't shoot the messenger.

Good luck. I need it too amigo. :)

Our approach is:

1. Eat in the dining room whenever possible. The potions are of reasonable size.

2. Stay awayfrom the buffet. This is not really a very civilized or relaxing experience anyway.

3. One-mile walks around the Promdendade deck at least once a day.

4. Do shore excursions which involve some physical activity.

Dude I reread my initial reply and OMG! where do you see all that stuff? What about the term I used like "no offense", the advice about deserts, amd the advice about adjusting from one days to the next after a meal out? Mamma mia! Chill amigo. BTW we saw Mamma Mia last night. WOW! Talk about fun at the theatre. The ushers were dancing in the aisle at the end and the auduience was doing the wave. :D

We just returned yesterday from our first cruise. I weighed myself this morning....

I DID NOT GAIN A POUND!! *wooo hooooooo!!!!*

Eating as a vegan helped, I know, cuz we certainly ATE!! :eek:

I agree... we ate in the dining room for almost every meal, including Afternoon Tea!! I also mostly avoided breads. I think I had two rolls on the entire cruise... but, I did have dessert, often! mostly the sorbets, after our waiter would go verify that there was no cream in them :p (scones at tea don't count as bread, right? amazing scones... with the jam).

Ate a lot of fruit, salads with oil/vinegar or vinegarettes, amazing meals that the head waiter designed for us...

DH gained 3 pounds, I think, but he really indulged in the french fries, daily. Yes, they were good, I had them a couple of times. The veggie burgers sucked. They tasted okay, but could have been cooked longer, and had a little seasoning put on them whilst cooking. I had PLENTY to eat without them, though, so it wasn't any sort of deprivation for me!! I fairly waddled some evenings after dining...

We just returned yesterday from our first cruise. I weighed myself this morning....

I DID NOT GAIN A POUND!! *wooo hooooooo!!!!*

Eating as a vegan helped, I know, cuz we certainly ATE!! :eek:

I agree... we ate in the dining room for almost every meal, including Afternoon Tea!! I also mostly avoided breads. I think I had two rolls on the entire cruise... but, I did have dessert, often! mostly the sorbets, after our waiter would go verify that there was no cream in them :p (scones at tea don't count as bread, right? amazing scones... with the jam).

Ate a lot of fruit, salads with oil/vinegar or vinegarettes, amazing meals that the head waiter designed for us...

DH gained 3 pounds, I think, but he really indulged in the french fries, daily. Yes, they were good, I had them a couple of times. The veggie burgers sucked. They tasted okay, but could have been cooked longer, and had a little seasoning put on them whilst cooking. I had PLENTY to eat without them, though, so it wasn't any sort of deprivation for me!! I fairly waddled some evenings after dining...

Typically I would order sorbets for desert too. It a good alternative. If there was something really nice then get it, have a bite or two and leave it. One googobalicious desert can have say about half the calories one needs for an entire day. Did you exercise or do active shore excursions?

I tried to use the stairs a lot... my knee didn't let me.

We did one easy hike in Juneau, mostly just walked around a lot!

We danced a little in the Wheelhouse bar.

I think the secret was I drank LOTS of water, ate LOTS of fresh fruit and veggies, avoided most bread, and ate SLOWLY, savoring every bite!! I'm a firm believer in paying attention to my food. We also avoided the buffet, as that seemed like so much fast, mindless eating going on up there.

I tried to use the stairs a lot... my knee didn't let me.

We did one easy hike in Juneau, mostly just walked around a lot!

We danced a little in the Wheelhouse bar.

I think the secret was I drank LOTS of water, ate LOTS of fresh fruit and veggies, avoided most bread, and ate SLOWLY, savoring every bite!! I'm a firm believer in paying attention to my food. We also avoided the buffet, as that seemed like so much fast, mindless eating going on up there.

Makes alot of sense. :)

I actually lost weight on my cruise, I ate what I wanted, and did not use the gym.

I did however take the stairs almost every single time (12 day cruise).

Did plenty of walking, and danced my heart out into the wee hours of the morning at the club!

Actually dancing burns about the same amt. of calories per hr. as aerobic exercises, maybe more. More fun too. :D

Jacketwatch I do believe you meant no offense. Perhaps the comment about self restraint was taken in the wrong way. However, I do agree that self restraint has been mandatory for me in my weight loss efforts. I'm 43 and for most of my life was very thin and never had to think twice about what I ate, so I ate everything I wanted. After two children and hitting my forties reality hit and like you I had to entirely rethink how I view food. We went on a short cruise just a few weeks ago and let me tell you I did have to restrain myself. I limited my portions, ordered healthier low-calorie choices and limited dessert. Now I'm not saying you can't enjoy your food, but instead of cleaning my plate, I ate things I enjoyed in small amounts and didn't overeat. Instead of ordering 5 courses, I stuck to just a soup or salad and my entree and avoided the appetizers. If I wanted dessert, I ordered something I liked, but limited myself to a few bites. And I walked and walked, climbed stairs and drank lots of water.

It is both self restraint and self discipline. There is nothing wrong with saying that and it's not insulting. I think all of the good ideas being suggested in this thread reflect both qualities.

The few bites of dessert advice is something I do too, and it isn't too hard once you get used to it. The first few mouthfuls are really what taste the best anyway, so eat slow and enjoy.

I try to limit myself to one calorie "splurge" a day. After all, it's a cruise and I'm sure we all look forward to the food. I don't worry too much about the calories in the entrees or appetizers, because all the walking etc takes care of that. If you want that piece of mud pie or cheesecake, and don't want to do the "just a taste" limit, make that your treat for the day and skip the calorie laden cocktail. There's so much opportunity to indulge on a cruise, from desserts offered at lunch & dinner, sweets at afternoon tea, etc, that I find it helpful to try to set some rules for myself.

Well I lost weight on a cruise once, but I had to get the Norvo virus to do so - I advise against that !

Never go to the buffet - too many temptations.

We order continental breakfast to our cabin so then we aren't tempted by either the buffet or eggs, bacon, etc. on the dining room menu.

Always use the stairs - if you are physically able to do so.

If you get home with a few added pounds - so what, you had a great time !

Jacketwatch I do believe you meant no offense. Perhaps the comment about self restraint was taken in the wrong way. However, I do agree that self restraint has been mandatory for me in my weight loss efforts. I'm 43 and for most of my life was very thin and never had to think twice about what I ate, so I ate everything I wanted. After two children and hitting my forties reality hit and like you I had to entirely rethink how I view food. We went on a short cruise just a few weeks ago and let me tell you I did have to restrain myself. I limited my portions, ordered healthier low-calorie choices and limited dessert. Now I'm not saying you can't enjoy your food, but instead of cleaning my plate, I ate things I enjoyed in small amounts and didn't overeat. Instead of ordering 5 courses, I stuck to just a soup or salad and my entree and avoided the appetizers. If I wanted dessert, I ordered something I liked, but limited myself to a few bites. And I walked and walked, climbed stairs and drank lots of water.

It is both self restraint and self discipline. There is nothing wrong with saying that and it's not insulting. I think all of the good ideas being suggested in this thread reflect both qualities.

Thank you. That is very nice of you to say that. And I agree. It is important to show control over your attractions to food that are not born of hunger such as sight and smell cues and that can only come from oneself. Take care. Larry. :)

Not everyone who's skinny just happens to be skinny!

Most people have to exercise incredible self-control in order to stay slim.

Just because the food is there doesn't mean you have to eat it.

Life is full of choices. The older you get, the harder the choices get,

especially when you're talking about eating anything you want vs looking good in a bikini! :D

I find that some of the major constituents in the enjoyment of food are the wonderful aromas that often accompany the preparation and presentation of good food. To the extent that the food presented on most main stream cruiselines is largely devoid of such aromas, avoidance of overconsumption is made easier.

This is easy book an RCI cruise, just got back from the AOS, great cruise but the food left a LOT to be desired. I am not picky , my Dad always said I would eat anything that wouldn't eat me first, and I had a hard time finding much that I liked that wasn't the same old thing. Sure hope Princess is better we are going on the CB in April.

This is easy book an RCI cruise, just got back from the AOS, great cruise but the food left a LOT to be desired. I am not picky , my Dad always said I would eat anything that wouldn't eat me first, and I had a hard time finding much that I liked that wasn't the same old thing. Sure hope Princess is better we are going on the CB in April.

No kidding... I lost weight on my RCI cruises!

If you truly do not want to count calories while on board:

1. only use the steps ALWAYS

2. drink water before each meal -- it will fill you up

3. lose weight BEFORE you sail; therefore, if you DO gain weight while sailing, you'll just be back where you started and you will have deprived yourself of nothing.:p

Good Luck!

Archived