Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

:confused: Does anyone have thoughts about my question? I can certainly see everyone has thoughts/opinions regarding the "adults" but haven't heard children mentioned. Are they not to be taken to the dining room on formal nights or what? I wonder if I'm doing this posting thing wrong (please help me if I am) because I've posted responses/questions in other threads and they have been ignored.

Thanks

Dinscoe,

I can understand not wanting to purchase a suit for a ten year old boy. He'll probably outgrow it before using it again. Others may disagree with me, but I'd say he'd be fine with a dress shirt and tie.

He definetely should be in the dining room on formal night. Most kids really enjoy being part of a grown-up dinner that is obviously special, but he will be learning a lot about manners and dress.

His outfit doesn't have to be 'formal' formal, but every boy at 10 should have at least a dress shirt and tie and I know you could pick up a very inexpensive sport jacket at Target or a similar store for next to nothing. He would look great and it would be a special evening for him, too.

My sons ( 11, 14, 15 ) all participated in formal night on our Veendam Western Carribean Cruise in Jan. 2003. They did not wear jackets, but did wear dress slacks, long-sleeved button down shirts and ties, also belts and decent shoes. They looked fine and no one commented. There were other children and teen-agers dressed about the same. Your son does not need a jacket in the dining room. He will look great in just a shirt and tie. You can always get him a really cool tie to spice up the look.

Have a great trip. Leave the small worries at home! :p

When my son was 9, we found an adorable four piece outfit for him at JC Penney's. It was very inexpensive and consisted of slacks, dress shirt, VEST and clip-on tie. He looked adorable.:D Also, I think it was more comfortable for a boy his age. Check the discount stores, maybe you'll find something, too.

Having said that, I think he would have looked fine in something less, and would not have been sent back to the cabin by the maitre'd! :p

I hope your family has a wonderful cruise!

Beth

IMO...One episode, one cruise, on one ship does not a new policy make. [/Quote] It is my understanding from information received from Seattle that enforcement will be fleetwide. Management has decided to create a more ‘harmonious atmosphere’ on board and this, along with increased security, is part of the campaign.
You are missing the point. EVERYTHING people post here is their subjective opinion !!! People are free to agree or disagree - but everyone is entitled to their opinion
My opinion is that everyone should drive on the right side of the road, but there are dire consequences when I do such in the UK, India, Japan, and other countries. Following 'local custom' is mandatory.

Since we're on the topic of formal nights, can I ask what is acceptable for a 10 year old boy? Would a jacket be required for him, also? Or, would he be able to go to Club HAL during that time? I wasn't sure of their hours and he would probably prefer that anyway, but just want to be prepared. Kids grow so quick that we haven't bought his first suit yet. Thanks!
You will see on board many different forms of dress for 10 year old cruisers, from formal to open shirt. In my mind, the issue is whether you are raising a young gentleman or a child. At what age should children be taught the responsibilities of adulthood? Obviously, not all are taught or some never learn.

A sport coat is fine. One can be obtained inexpensively at resale shops or mass merchandizers.

I think Iknick put it so succinctly on a long-ago thread there should never be another question about dress codes. If I may paraphrase you, sir?

Formal night: evening clothes: Tuxedo for gentlemen, Evening Gowns for ladies. (A suit or jacket and tie is acceptable).

Informal night: A jacket or blazer and shirt and necktie for gentlemen, dressy (no trousers) for ladies.

Casual night: Nice clothes (no shorts or jeans) but nothing formal is required or expected.

Kids? I got my first suit when I was, I think, four years old. I wore it to church, dinners with my parents' friends or in nicer restaurants, special dances or parties, etc. There's no reason I can see why kids can't dress up occasionally. It's a great opportunity for them to learn. (even though they go "Oh, MOM!" I bet they secretly love it)

Why flaunt the cruise line's wishes? It doesn't make you an iconoclast or an individualist; more like a spoilsport. Cruises are all "let's pretend" anyway. Why not pretend you're the Duke of York having dinner with a few friends on your Yacht, complete with sommellier and a few hovering waiters? It's great fun!

lane 11_2_100.gif

Superstein, where did I say women and children can ignore the dress code thing? I put my nephews, from age 5 - 17, in tuxedo's for our cruise. The girls wore fancy dresses. I wear sequened pant suits or a pair of nice black slacks and a sequened top. If that's ignoring the dress code thing, then I guess I am guilty.

As far as answering the posters question, this is a child we're talking about, dressing for dinner, I think a shirt, tie and nice trousers are perfectly acceptable for him for a formal dinner although, a nice sport jacket is nice as well.

I don't know why we insist on making exceptions for children.

On my first cruise, at age 5, I remember wearing a white shirt, tie, knickers, scratchy socks and blazer. But that was so long ago...

Two years ago, my male grandchildren aged 11 and 12 wore suits, my male grandchildren aged 14, 15, 17 wore tux...by their choice as they either knew what was appropriate or their mother knew what was appropriate. [sometimes, it's hard to say.]

And of course, the young ladies, aged 7 and 19, both wore dresses.

There's nothing that says you have to spend a lot on a boys suit -- as was mentioned before, second-hand and resale stores would have them pretty cheap. Again, as was mentioned before, they aren't worn much before they're outgrown.

Heck, you could even donate it when he outgrows it and get a tax deduction, or put it in a consigment shop and probably get almost what you paid for it.

I am not making excuses for children, I am trying to put myself in this posters position. Perhaps they booked this cruise last minute and couldn't take advantage of some of the department store sales or maybe doesn't have a second hand store around. I still say a young boy is fine with a nice pair of trousers, shirt and tie. After all, how many young ladies do we see in ball gowns on a cruise.

Doone...I was in a very upscale boutique yesterday and saw the most beautiful woman's tuxedo suit that was as formal as anything any lady could wear. It was in a luscious silk satin cloth that draped and fell exquisitely. A cowel necked cream satin top completed the suit and if the price wasn't to choke on ($1,800) , you can be very sure I would have bought and worn that suit with tremendous pleasure. Ladies certainly can wear certain pants and be dressed formally. If Bill Blass, Bob Mackie, Ralph St. Laurent, Anne Klein etc etc all make ladies tuxedos and the stars have been seen wearing them to Academy Award Shows, I certainly agree that pants on women CAN be appropriately formal.

Ladies certainly can wear certain pants and be dressed formally.

TSK, tsk, tsk - not according to the written HAL dress code which says:

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

and don't try and get out of it by saying it says "usually" - because it also says "usually" for men

S7S, that suit sounds beautiful and I agree, if the price wasn't that high, I most definately would have bought it as well. Ladies do not have to wear ball gowns or be limited to just cocktail dresses for formal attire. I love my sequened pant suits and will continue to wear them.

I thought we were discussing the HAL dress code not the Academy Awards...Perhaps I wiil leave my tie home if the Academy Awards is the new standard...Or maybe wear that designer blue denim suit...Pants may very well be appropriate for women for formal evenings but that is not what the HAL dress code says.

I thought we were discussing the HAL dress code not the Academy Awards...Perhaps I wiil leave my tie home if the Academy Awards is the new standard...Or maybe wear that designer blue denim suit...Pants may very well be appropriate for women for formal evenings but that is not what the HAL dress code says.

Agreed - Opinions - and thats my point !!! Some of these folks point religiously to the written HAL code when it comes to men wearing a jacket - but then ignore that printed code when it comes to themselves or children.

they can not have it both ways !!!

On the QE2 last year, my lady wore a man's white dinner jacket which she had tailored to fit, a white pleated dress shirt with pink plaid bowtie and cummerbund, and tux skirt. She was quite a hit and received many compliments.

On the Zuiderdam, my daughter wore her naval mess dress.

I'm sure Super would say they both violated the dress code.

We have now reached the point of ridiculousness!

On the QE2 last year, my lady wore a man's white dinner jacket which she had tailored to fit, a white pleated dress shirt with pink plaid bowtie and cummerbund, and tux skirt. She was quite a hit and received many compliments.

On the Zuiderdam, my daughter wore her naval mess dress.

I'm sure Super would say they both violated the dress code.

We have now reached the point of ridiculousness!

Actually it is the code itself which is ridiculous. i am simply pointing out how so.

And BTW, formal military dress is always apropos

lknick.....

I wish I had been present in order to enjoy seeing your group enter the dining room. You must have all turned heads with how wonderful you all looked. Congratulations on being patriach to such a family.

(...and I am so tempted to play copycat to your lady. I love the sound of her outfit. I would love wearing that look.)

Doone...I was in a very upscale boutique yesterday and saw the most beautiful woman's tuxedo suit that was as formal as anything any lady could wear. It was in a luscious silk satin cloth that draped and fell exquisitely. A cowel necked cream satin top completed the suit and if the price wasn't to choke on ($1,800) , you can be very sure I would have bought and worn that suit with tremendous pleasure. Ladies certainly can wear certain pants and be dressed formally. If Bill Blass, Bob Mackie, Ralph St. Laurent, Anne Klein etc etc all make ladies tuxedos and the stars have been seen wearing them to Academy Award Shows, I certainly agree that pants on women CAN be appropriately formal.

:confused: Did you mean Ralph Lauren or Yves St. Laurent? Don't think I have ever heard of Ralph. St. Laurent.

and don't try and get out of it by saying it says "usually" - because it also says "usually" for men

Indeed ... men usually wear tuxedos or suits; when they're not being usual, they are supposed to at least wear the required minimum: jacket and tie. :) When they breaking the rules they forego the jacket and tie. :) It may nearly be time for me to post my joke Dress Code ... that, or perhaps, do another one especially for Superstein61. :) I'll have to give this some thought ... could be fun.

TSK, tsk, tsk - not according to the written HAL dress code which says:

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

And men can wear kilts and be formal, so the pants/skirts thing goes both ways. ;)

Archived