Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be bothered by what someone else is or isn't wearing? We dress in accordance to the suggested dress, we enjoy ourselves - we don't really care what those around are or are not wearing.
In reality, few do. This is just an opportunity for some to display their opinions.

But, as the same posters always say the same thing while refusing to acknowledge the sincerity of the initial question, it seems to me that this is really an opportunity for some to prove their point in an arena in which there is no consequences.

When I see words such as “coward,” “bigot,” “bad day,” “fashion police,” etc. followed by “you must respect my opinion,” I have to wonder what is behind such vehemence.

As the HAL Maitre'd was quoted above:

"...Formal Wear is suggested - and Coat and Tie is (the minimum) required."

I'm all for creativity when it comes to formal wear - kilts, cowboy string-ties/Texas formal, trendy formalwear, etc. We have plenty of formal gatherings here in SF, and for a city notorious for being underdressed (this is where 'casual Friday' started) one rarely ever sees folks dressed down at the Black & White Ball, the Oscar galas or certain other benefit galas. We also have restaurants and private clubs who will not admit individuals who are not dressed in coat & tie.

When it comes down to it, in individual coming to a formal dinner in casual attire - regardless if the occassion is 'by invitation', paid for or on a cruiseship - is socially inappropriate.

Don't like those rules? Go somewhere else - simple as that.

Excellent post!

jc

In reality, few do. This is just an opportunity for some to display their opinions.

But, as the same posters always say the same thing while refusing to acknowledge the sincerity of the initial question, it seems to me that this is really an opportunity for some to prove their point in an arena in which there is no consequences.

When I see words such as “coward,” “bigot,” “bad day,” “fashion police,” etc. followed by “you must respect my opinion,” I have to wonder what is behind such vehemence.

It is called a crusade, and it is the bane of all of the forums at CC. We have individuals who desire change or to stop change, and who use this forum to try to cause the change or stop it. I feel that CC is a place for us to share our passion for cruising. To help new comers to maximize their experience, and to prepare for things as they are. Generally, this topic begins with a legitimate new person, wanting to understand formal nights and what they need to prepare for in order to fit in. Then the crusaders come in with their view of the way cruising should be, and the fight starts. Brian said it exactly correct in his previous post, but the crusaders have to fight their cause. Last week it was uncialman trying to force HAL back into their pre-CCL mode. Next week it will be prepaid tipping, or babies in the pool, or etc....:D

jc

jc

I'm willing to bet the farm the dress code said SUGGESTED and not Required on my Westerdam cruise.

Here are two scans of the appropriate section of the Daily Program from the Zaandam's 21 Day Panama Canal Cruise Sept 25- Oct 16, 2004. Note the wording.

informaldress1.jpg

Even informal night's published code, in the Daily Program, states that a jacket is "required." If it's "required" for informal night, how can it possibly be thought of as being just "suggested" for formal night? That would violate the entire essence of the concept "formal."

Let's see what the Daily Program stated regarding what was expected on formal night:

formaldress1.jpg

Yes, the word "suggested" is used ... the Tuxedo is what is "suggested." What is "required" is a jacket and tie.

So ... what kind of farm is it??? ;)

Here are two scans of the appropriate section of the Daily Program from the Zaandam's 21 Day Panama Canal Cruise Sept 25- Oct 16, 2004. Note the wording.

informaldress1.jpg

formaldress1.jpg

Thanks, rev. Reading these 2 codes and hearing of your experience, there is no doubt that HAL has started a new and tougher policy. I think they realized that there had been a drastic change in decorum in the dining room the last year or 2 and they didn't want it to go any further.

informaldress1.jpg

Even informal night's published code, in the Daily Program, states that a jacket is "required." If it's "required" for informal night, how can it possibly be thought of as being just "suggested" for formal night? That would violate the entire essence of the concept "formal."

Let's see what the Daily Program stated regarding what was expected on formal night:

formaldress1.jpg

Yes, the word "suggested" is used ... the Tuxedo is what is "suggested." What is "required" is a jacket and tie.

Greg, Thank you for posting that. I would say that should answer the question in full. I am certainly glad HAL is starting to get a tougher in this area.

IMO...

One episode, one cruise, on one ship does not a new policy make. It is a good sign for those of us who support enforcement of the dress code but until we hear of Maitre d's on other ships/other cruises doing the same, it is now only the one reported incident.

I hope that other cruisers on other ships will let us know if they hear/see enforcement occuring on their cruises.

informaldress1.jpg

formaldress1.jpg

Touche'

;)

One episode, one cruise, on one ship does not a new policy make. It is a good sign for those of us who support enforcement of the dress code but until we hear of Maitre d's on other ships/other cruises doing the same, it is now only the one reported incident.

I agree. I simply offered an example of what was printed in the Daily Program aboard the Zaandam. I also shared an example of where the Dress Code is being enforced. That most certainly does NOT mean that it's being enforced everywhere ... even on ships where the code is being posted! Something similar is posted in the Daily Programs on the Zuiderdam, yet they don't enforce it. On the Volendam, in Sept 2003, this same code was posted in the Daily Program but they didn't enforce it.

So ... I agree. It may just be that Jerry believes in enforcing the Dress Code. Time will tell.

The statement: "NCL does it right - certain sit down restaurants are designated formal and others are casual on "formal night"" is entirely your subjective opinion ... not gospel. I certainly disagree. And that's what makes life fun: we all have our own tastes, or own likes and dislikes; we don't all have to be the same ... .

Rev

you are missing the point. EVERYTHING people post here is their subjective opinion !!!

people are free to agree or disagree - but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Superstein, you need to return to NCL, where you can dress as you wish and be comfortable. BUT I have to agree with Esme, I think you are just stirring the pot here, which you do on almost all subjects. I'll bet we'd all see you in the dining room on formal evenings in a very nice tuxedo.

I will pick the cruise line I cruise on - Thank you. If you do not like it, tough.

And no, I do not wear a jacket onboard any longer. And its never caused me a problem

Boy, I'm gone from the boards (packing and getting ready for our cruise) for just a few days and looky what we have here! This could be a clone of the same thread last month, last week, last year...

I wasn't going to read this - let alone post anything. However, I feel it is important to point out that everyone on these boards is entitled to his/her OPINION and each persons opinion should be respected as such.

We all know Superstein chooses not to dress in a jacket & tie - apparently, the Maitre d' on the Zui had no issue with this on a formal night, so what difference does it make?

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be bothered by what someone else is or isn't wearing? We dress in accordance to the suggested dress, we enjoy ourselves - we don't really care what those around are or are not wearing.

I will not wear pantyhose or stockings anymore - I wear dressy sandals to dinner and most sandals are not condusive to wearing pantyhose - also, as one poster pointer out - they are uncomfortable, especially in hot, humid climates. My DH wears his tux (when he doesn't have his arm in a cast), but is not really that comfortable wearing it when it is hot.

He is unable to wear his jacket on our upcoming cruise due to the cast - I certainly hope no one takes offense at his lack of dinner jacket.

Thank you ekerr - my feelings exactly. I frequently anm amazed at all those who get upset with what others wear. Everyone has their own opinions and everyone should do what they are comfortable with doing. Thats the bottom line

And that's not to say Superstein is wrong (don't tell him I said this) for wanting things to be more his way. The sooner that happens, the sooner he will feel comfortable in casual attire.

Ah contraire dear roboat - I am quite comfortable eschewing jacket and tie now. I personally could give a horse's patootie what others think about how I dress :D

IMO...

One episode, one cruise, on one ship does not a new policy make. . . . until we hear of Maitre d's on other ships/other cruises doing the same, it is now only the one reported incident.

Wow - I actually agree with S7S here. You are so right - because I can tell you my experience on the Zuiderdam in late July / early August contradicts the rev's experience on the ship he was on

Wow - I actually agree with S7S here. You are so right - because I can tell you my experience on the Zuiderdam in late July / early August contradicts the rev's experience on the ship he was on

My experience on Zuiderdam in October contradicts what you report as your July/August experience. We found most pax to be very respectful of others and dressed per the dress code.

For the ladies, on casual nights, I like to wear a nice capri outfit. Informal nights, a nice pant suit and formal nights, dressy black pants with a sequened top or sequened pant suits. Its not too hard to dress up on formal nights, use your imagination, you'll look great. QUOTE]

The HAL website says "On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns"...Doone, you don't follow the suggested dress for ladies on formal nights so why pick on the men?

For the ladies, on casual nights, I like to wear a nice capri outfit. Informal nights, a nice pant suit and formal nights, dressy black pants with a sequened top or sequened pant suits. Its not too hard to dress up on formal nights, use your imagination, you'll look great. QUOTE]

The HAL website says "On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns"...Doone, you don't follow the suggested dress for ladies on formal nights so why pick on the men?

:D :D :D You mean what's good for the goose is not good for the gander. I am shocked ;) LOL

you are missing the point. EVERYTHING people post here is their subjective opinion !!!

Is that the point? I thought the point of this thread was to answer a question regarding what would be appropriate on Formal Night on HAL; regardless of what one might like to think, the Dress Code is pertinent to that question. For instance, the Daily Program on the Zaandam during it's 21-day Panama Canal Cruise stated that jackets were "required" for men. That is NOT opinion, but substantiated historical FACT. What one does about this fact while on a cruise will vary from person to person, but this doesn't change what the code says. Hence, relative to what the code actually says, a dress shirt, tie, and slacks (sans jacket) would not meet the posted requirement for formal or informal night. Subjective opinion would be wether or not one should feel any need to bother abiding by the Dress Code. I think people should; you don't think it matters; we disagree. Boy ... I'm glad people are different; the world would be dull if everyone were the same; ditto for cruise lines, dress codes, and dining policies. And that was what I said. Why should HAL copy NCL?

people are free to agree or disagree - but everyone is entitled to their opinion

I don't think I ever said, or implied, that people are not entitled to their opinion. "Everyone has the right to be wrong." :D

i enjoy dresing for dinner each night and dressing per the lines request, its wonderful to dress for dinner, i am on a cruise and have the time to dress for the occassion, i don't let what other passengers wear bother me, though i have had table mates ask why i am dressed " up"ed for dinner, i give them a look and go about my business, i don't comment on what they are wearing and i certainly don't want to waste time explaining the dress code to them if they feel uncomfortable, well they should have read the program, yes i have seen the maitre d tell some passengers on my last cruise the dress code for that night, one couple left abruptdly and headed for the lido!!!!oh well,its what makes the world go around. after working hard all week and work and home, its nice to take a cruise and dress up and feel special, especially after spending the money now for a cruise, it makes the trip even more fun, especially seeing what other people wear and enjoying the sights with no comment from me asking why"!!!!!!

happy cruising everyone.

Since we're on the topic of formal nights, can I ask what is acceptable for a 10 year old boy? Would a jacket be required for him, also? Or, would he be able to go to Club HAL during that time? I wasn't sure of their hours and he would probably prefer that anyway, but just want to be prepared. Kids grow so quick that we haven't bought his first suit yet. Thanks!

:confused: Does anyone have thoughts about my question? I can certainly see everyone has thoughts/opinions regarding the "adults" but haven't heard children mentioned. Are they not to be taken to the dining room on formal nights or what? I wonder if I'm doing this posting thing wrong (please help me if I am) because I've posted responses/questions in other threads and they have been ignored.

Thanks

This is what we did when the children sailed with us on the Veendam.

I had rented tux's for all the men, young men as well. We chose second seating for dinner, which was when the Club HAL activities for the younger children were taking place (not sure what dining time you have chosen, but if you want your child to dine with you, then choose the earlier seating). We gave the option to the kids of either eating in the dining room with us or attending the Club HAL activities. The younger kids (ages 5 - 10) LOVED Club HAL, so they chose the activities. We did dress the boys in their tux's to have their pictures taken with the captain and then my sisters took the kids to their cabins and changed their clothes so they could attend the Club HAL activities. My sisters took the kids to the Lido for dinner or they ordered room service, which the kids thought was GREAT. Had we known these the activities were held during the hours of second seating, we would have chosen early seating so the kids could have enjoyed the dining experience.

Our next family cruise will be in 2006 and we will choose the earlier seating so the kids can dress up in their tux's and fancy dresses and participate in the cruise dining experience.

In answer to your question, yes, children are welcome to the dining room for dinner on formal evenings. I think they enjoy the experience as well. Do they need a jacket? For a 10-year old, I would say no, put a nice shirt and tie with a nice pair of trousers, he will be fine. To be honest with you, I wouldn't purchase a suit for a 10-year old either. You could, however, if you wanted, rent the tux, but its not necessary. Your son will be fine.

Archived