Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

Forget the HAL dress code Nazi's.....Sipperstein speaks the truth....Been there done that .........more times than I can recall.

Bash on you dogs.....you know who you are!

Ahhh - here we go again.

IGNORE THE Dress Police folks here who get so bent out of shape over what others wear, it isn't funny. You sound like you will look quite presentable. SKIP THE JACKET. in 99% of the cases, no one on board will care. However occassionally you will find someone who looks down upon you because you don't meet their standards of attire. Ignore them and enjoy yourself !!!

BTW - I rebelled at Formal Night on the Zuiderdam this summer - and had no problem at all. And I didn't even wear a tie. One night, a fancy Cuban shirt - the other, a fancy Mexican shirt.

OK - now get ready for the dress police here to start bashing me for my views :D

OH - and ignore those who want to shun you to the Lido or worse yet, make you eat in your room !!!

Forget the HAL dress code Nazi's.....

Likewise, please ignore the dress code anarchists. Wear what makes you feel comfortable, but be aware that dressing down may call you to the attention of the maitre d' who may request you change.....

-dave

superstein61 the more that I read your responses, the more I like you. It is unbelieveable that the dress police want young kids dressed up in a sports coat or suit that they may never wear again! Lighten up a little, they are only kids, and if they are in a shirt and tie - give it a rest and pay attention to your own table.

Hey - there will be no problem at our table. We will be dressed up, but really do not care if our tablemates are not. Two cruises back, the family of four at our table did not pack to dress according "to the rules" and were very apologetic. We told them to relax and enjoy the dinners and cruise. They were great company, no matter what they were wearing. Getting ones shorts in a knot about whether a young child is wearing a jacket or not is beyound silly, even for this board.

Hey - there will be no problem at our table. We will be dressed up, but really do not care if our tablemates are not. Two cruises back, the family of four at our table did not pack to dress according "to the rules" and were very apologetic. We told them to relax and enjoy the dinners and cruise. They were great company, no matter what they were wearing. Getting ones shorts in a knot about whether a young child is wearing a jacket or not is beyound silly, even for this board.

Adreed wholeheartedly. No one has ever adequately answered why so many people get bent out of shape over what OTHERS wear. no one is forcing their choices on what to wear on anyone else. What someone wears has no impact on what kind of person they are

Formal night on the Zaandam saw everything from Tux to flaming red jacket and red tie, to younger men in their 20's and 30's dining in sport shirts with no coat or tie. Dress code was obviously not enforced on any night, including casual night when some wore shorts. Sorry but the guidelines are set up well advance with plenty of other options and formal should be formal for those that want it. The dining room isn't a required eating spot. You can have the dinner in your birthday suit in your cabin, or try the very good lido. Just as you don't want to be required or infringed on with dressing as you wish, don't ruin our formal evening.

Jim

Hmmm - so you've never broken a rule in your life dear Dave. I doubt it.

So that certainly is telling . . . .

Inadvertantly? Certainly. But I've never, to my knowledge, openly flouted the rules or conventions since leaving college. Civilization is based on a mutual respect for rules and conventions. Mature adults know and respect that.

-dave

Formal night on the Zaandam saw everything from Tux to flaming red jacket and red tie, to younger men in their 20's and 30's dining in sport shirts with no coat or tie. Dress code was obviously not enforced on any night, including casual night when some wore shorts.

Wow ... talk about a major difference between cruises on the same ship! YIKES!

Goodness, 161 (now 162) to beat THIS topic to death again.. I still subscribe to the notion that we all ought to carry paint guns aboard and simply splat any that offend us, with a pellet of iridescent orange.. OR we could all register a different color so that we could , with a quick glance, see just whom has offended whom...

My tux will be waiting in my stateroom as usual..cuz I work in a prison and I've SEEN what happens to those who don't follow the rules..

so dress as you will at your own peril..... DARE to leave your lounge chair sitting empty except for your towel and a book and then come back 90 min later and get huffy with ME for taking YOUR chair... light up a cigarette anywhere near me... alllow your little darlin to swim in the poll in his or her diaper... and SPLAT!!!! You're dead meat... and don't take offense.... you got off lightly in my book..

Inadvertantly? Certainly. But I've never, to my knowledge, openly flouted the rules or conventions since leaving college. Civilization is based on a mutual respect for rules and conventions. Mature adults know and respect that.

-dave

Hmmmm - I find it hard to believe that, lets say, you never exceeded the speed limit since college

Likewise, please ignore the dress code anarchists. Wear what makes you feel comfortable, but be aware that dressing down may call you to the attention of the maitre d' who may request you change.....

-dave

Amen! It is amazing the things that people feel comfortable calling their fellow cruisers on an anonymous forum.

jc

Quote:

Originally Posted by jima53

Formal night on the Zaandam saw everything from Tux to flaming red jacket and red tie

Jim

What, no lime green jackets? Maybe red is "IN" this year.

Must have been Boston Red Sox Red!!! :D

Super

You have presented your arguement, and it was not convincing to me, but I am sure that there are fellow crusaders out there that agree with it, but now you have just evolved into the person with the final word is the winner. Typical crusader, who isn't here to make sure that both sides of the arguement are presented, but has to make sure that they win. Sorry, you lose in this forum if there were an election of readers here I am certain your arguement would fail to carry the day. However, the winner is really a false goal, because the real world is what the real world is. The cruiseline determines the rules and whether they will enforce them. Unfortunately, most of them will not have the courage to enforce their rules on non-conformists, and in reality you will have a good probability of eating in your cuban shirt. Of course, there is a real probability that they will enforce it and then you won't get to eat in the dining room on formal night. It is a disservice to tell new cruisers on HAL that they can ignore the formal dining dress suggestions, and your continuance of your pointless crusade is wrong. I am quite sure that before this week is up that you will have posted 25 more snide remarks and reframed your arguement 15 ways to h e double hockey sticks. Be aware that your continual crusade is viewed as a pain in the bottom by most members of this forum.... You seem bright enough to not waste everyone's time including your own, but you keep proving that belief wrong.:D :p :rolleyes:

love jc:eek:

How and when does one hire a dress suit from Hal.

This is our first experience of a formal cruise.We have only been on a "cheapie" around the Med,and dress was informal. My SO does not really want to fly his formal gear from the UK, due to weight restrictions,so it would "suit" him to hire from Hal.

MonandDave, my dad has used http://www.cruiselineformal.com to rent a tux for his cruises. He has never had a problem, great people to deal with. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.
undefined

Many Thanks. Will Do.

We are so looking forward to our cruise, although not going until June 05.

We are touring Rockies first,then Alaska cruise on Volendam.

We have toured in USA previously,but this is our first time to Canada and Alaska.

undefined

Many Thanks. Will Do.

We are so looking forward to our cruise, although not going until June 05.

We are touring Rockies first,then Alaska cruise on Volendam.

We have toured in USA previously,but this is our first time to Canada and Alaska.

sounds like a great holiday. Enjoy!:cool:

Where in the Rockies are you going? They cover a whole lot of real estate, fyi. :D

jc

Archived