Galveston......

sail7seas

Thinking of our cruise friends in Galveston and wishing them the best as Hurricane Ike approaches. I know there are some who may be in harm's way as they often vote for ships to be homeported in Galveston.

Stay safe.

Ditto what sail said! Just checked weather underground and they are comparing this hurricane to Carla and Katrina. They are also saying that the storm surge will likely top the Galveston seawall. Anyone living anywhere near the Texas coast should evacuate as soon as possible. Stay safe everyone!

Thanks for the well wishes. Our home is on the coast, right in the center of the projected path but we have already evacuated. I just hope we have gone far enough.

Yesterday before we left, I was boarding our windows when a piece of plywood got away from me and stuck an outside water faucet, shearing it off and sending a stream of water across the yard. I got the water turned off but even when we can go home, we won't have any water until I can get a plumber. But from the sound of things, that may be the least of my worries.

Thinking of all my cruising friends in Texas, sending good thoughts and prayers their way.

We were at Holden Beach last weekend when Hanna came through, enough for me to say never again and she was only a TS, winds were 60/70 mph and that was way too much, whole house shaking, we lost power.....

Please stay safe everyone and evacuate if told to.

We've made our preparations and are now waiting for the storm to pass. We're about 50 miles inland and are not in the storm surge area. But, we do expect high winds (+80 mph) and heavy rain.

Like Texas Tillie, we anticipate loss of electricity and water for some period of time. Hopefully, not too long.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

B

Belle and Texas Tillie, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I just heard that they are not expecting Ike to strenghten, and I pray that holds true. Please check in when you can and let us know how you are. I will be so glad when this season is over, and I know you will also.

aggie gal I have been a fanatical aggie fan since i was 9 in 1957, dont know how a New Yorker could be one, but one thanskgiving day on tv did the trick. To you and all the good people in harms way, stay safe, take every precaution, and know you are in our prayers. As others have suggested, please let us know how you fared. Gig Em

I have a friend who was scheduled out of Galveston on Sept. 14, so I checked the Carnival Conquest Roll Call for September 14. Of course the port will be closed and in fact probably will be underwater and severely damaged. They are going to try to sail out on Monday but probably can't do that either. What a mess. Also, think about all of the passengers on the current trip whose cars are in the parking lots at the terminal today. We are talking Galveston here which they say will be swamped. Cars and salt water don’t mix very well. Maybe they have garages like Ft. Lauderdale does. It does not look good.:(

I am in Katy, just west of Houston and not a drop of rain here either and still very little wind. We evacuated from Lake Jackson which is just inland from Freeport.

According to the latest forecasts, it appears the storm will hit Galveston Island, west of the city and push flood waters of over 20 Ft into the bay. If so, the cruise terminal may suffer quite a bit of damage.

I have a friend who was scheduled out of Galveston on Sept. 14, so I checked the Carnival Conquest Roll Call for September 14. Of course the port will be closed and in fact probably will be underwater and severely damaged. They are going to try to sail out on Monday but probably can't do that either. What a mess. Also, think about all of the passengers on the current trip whose cars are in the parking lots at the terminal today. We are talking Galveston here which they say will be swamped. Cars and salt water don’t mix very well. Maybe they have garages like Ft. Lauderdale does. It does not look good.:(

I was on the Carnival board and there's a thread where someone that's on the current sailing of the Conquest. They are currently in Cozumel right now and don't know when or what port that they are returning to. She also mention that she talking to her insurance company because the place where she parked her car was near the pier and her car is going to be damage.

I just pray that everyone in the Galveston area take heed to move inland and I hope that those on the Conquest return home in a safe manner.

I am in Katy, just west of Houston and not a drop of rain here either and still very little wind. We evacuated from Lake Jackson which is just inland from Freeport.

According to the latest forecasts, it appears the storm will hit Galveston Island, west of the city and push flood waters of over 20 Ft into the bay. If so, the cruise terminal may suffer quite a bit of damage.

I'm so happy to read this; thank you for posting.

My sister is just east of Katy, in Harris County, at the Mason Rd. exit from I-10. I'm very worried about how it's going to go for her.

She assured me that everything was going to be fine, but I think her crystal ball looked cloudy. :(

Archived