Another Travel Insurance ?????

bonniemari

I purchased a travel policy that includes trip cancellation. I did not choose the cancel for any reason option.

We own a small/medium size retail business. My DH & I are scheduled to go on a cruise next month and wouldn't ya know he had to fire 2 employees last week. Then this week we found out another one of our employees is going to have surgery in 2 couple of weeks and may be out from 4-6 weeks.

Since I do the accounting part of the business and can be gone with no problem, I will still be going on the cruise but I am kind of concerned that if my DH is not able to hire and train a new employee by the time we are scheduled to leave and the employee who is scheduled for surgery is not back to work he might not be able to go.

I could probably get a friend to go in his place but to be honest I really don't want to do that. I love my friends and like to cruise with them if we are going in a group but just don't feel like having to deal with just one person 24/7.

I have TRIED to read the policy but it is like reading a foreign languge to me. I know it says something about "key employee" which DH is.

The cruise really did not cost that much (475.00pp) and it would not be that big of a deal if i lost the money but if I can use the insurance policy to recoup that money that would be great.

Just keeping my fingers crossed DH gets to go.

ETA-its AIG Travel Guard/Plan is My Travel Guard

Not sure I understand the question but here is my take on it.

1. If husband has to cancel and you travel by yourself. The cruiseline will probably rebook you as a single. The single supplement is either 150 or 200%. Therefore any monies received from insurance would go back to pay for single supplement.

2. If you do a name change, then there would be no money coming back from insurance. New person would just reimburse you for the cruise.

3. If both of you decide to cancel for the reasons stated above, you would be better advised to just call Travelgard and ask them.

Thanks for trying to answer my ???. Sorry if i confused you.

1. Single supplement won't come into play cause I am past cancellation and Carnival is not going to give me any money back (no problem with that). If he doesn't go I would not even notify Carnival he is not going, unless i had to in order to file a claim with insurance. I would just go by myself.

2. If I could find a friend to go (which I really don't want to do) I would probably be paying their part anyway. My 2 BFF are in real estate and we know how that market is right now. If I did decide to take a friend of course I would not file a claim with the insurance co.

3. I am going regardless of if he goes or not.

Since I am not sure what is going to happen I would rather wait to call insurance company when and if I know he is not going for sure. Although I don't like to throw money away it would not kill me to loose the $475.00 if he does decide not to go and it is not covered by insurance.

Hope I haven't confused you more.

I actually bought it on my own thru insure my trip.

Of course it would be with the AIG. Call me paranoid but at this point I am not even sure I would believe what they told me if I did call. Especially with me being insurance illiterate. Insurance policies are foreign to me-thats why I have an insurance agent for all my regular insurance. Usually I would just call him and he would figure it out.

Just thought before I did decide to call I would try to see if anyone had experienced this situation with AIG Travel Guard.

ETA-thank goodness my insurance agent is a personal friend and provides me with what I need. I've kidded with him and told him he better treat me right cause if not and something happened to my house/business and I didn't have enough coverage me, DH and 2 dogs are moving in with him. I could really cramp his bachelor style life.

You could call insure my trip. They have answered questions like this for me in the past.

I looked briefly at AIG Travel Guard and they seemed to make it very clear that the is an option to select cancel for any reason and cancel for business reason. So you would need to know what you picked. Also I bet there generic policy mentions those things which may be why you are having trouble reading the policy.

If I were nervous calling AIG, I would definitely call Insure My Trip with the question and my policy handy!

Don't be nervous calling AIG! The AIG that is in so much financial problems and that you hear about is a huge conclomerate mega-business...

not the small offices that sell travel insurance. Unless you know for sure the company where you bought your policy has for some reason closed...they'll be there on Monday, ready to answer the phone, ready to answer your question.

Bonniemarie:

DH is only covered for work reasons if you purchased the optional "Cancel for Work Reasons" coverage within 15 days of putting down your first deposit on this trip. Did you do that?

If not, you are better off going with a friend (or just showing up alone).

If you did purchase the work reason coverage, you will need to submit proof that he must work in the form of "(a) He/she must demonstrate proof of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement signed by an officer of his/her employer;". You would need to call TravelGuard to determine if your husband can write his own statement or not.

If you are covered, do realize that upon DH's cancellation, he will be refunded a portion of his fully paid fare, and you will be re-fared at the higher single price. Your own insurance will cover the re-fared price since it is for a covered reason. BUT do make sure his cancellation is covered first; the last thing you want to do is have him cancel, get some small % back and then discover you will be re-fared at 200% of the current price. You could end up owing money if there is no insurance coverage AND your DH cancels.

LBNL--The Key Employee provision applies only to being on a Disaster Recovery Team at the place of business which has suffered a disaster: Fire, flood, burglary, etc.

Cherylandtk thanks. You gave me the answer I was looking for.

I'm the only other officer of the company so it's either me or him who would have to write a letter. But since I know I did not choose an option for cancellation for work related reasons, this would not be covered. I mainly buy the insurance for the medical/medivac coverage since my insurance doesn't pay for medivac. I did however choose the option to be flown to the hospital of my choice. That's how I can remember not chosing the work related thing.

If it comes down to where he says for sure he is not going I will call and check just to be sure.

He still says he is going even if he has to close our other store and bring those employees over to the main store. Never been on a cruise all by myself. He better watch out I might enjoy cruising solo.

Archived