How to get a refund when price drops

baxley

Hi, I could use some help. I've noticed that lots of people are saying that the price of their cruise went down....and they got their price lowered. Could you tell me how I should go about doing that? Do I contact my cruise line or my TA? Thanks.

Baxley

If you booked through a TA, you call them. But if you've paid for your cruise in full...or if, like me, you're part of a group...you won't get any reduction. If you booked directly with the cruise line, then you call them.

Why would you not be entitled to a OBC? You are no different then someone buying through a travel agent or any cruise line. They are still classified as travel agents.

Why would you not be entitled to a OBC? You are no different then someone buying through a travel agent or any cruise line. They are still classified as travel agents.

Groups are different, because of all the perks that they can be getting like free berths and OBC. Often if all the folks in a group agree to give up the perks they can get the new price, but its hard to get everyone to agree. I read one person really put out because they would have had to give up $100 OBC to get the lower price, they cant have it both ways.

Sometimes groups do get the lower price, but its not a guarantee.

Chacooe, Group bookings are not like individual bookings. Group bookings receive amenities for the group for purchasing a certain number of cabins at a certain price(s). Individuals cannot adjust that price without removing themselves from the group. Amenities can include special pricing, OBC, free berths, photos, canapes, wine, etc. depending on what the group leader has negotiated and how many cabins are purchased (and how much $$ are spent) by the group.

Baxley ~ Just because the price drops on your cruise, doesn't mean you'll get a discount. Nor should you expect one. Certainly try by calling your TA or cruise line (whomever you booked with), but it's not a "given" that you'll get a discount. It's like airlines or hotel rooms. The prices vary. As a cruise draws near, prices tend to drop for new bookings to fill cabins. At least try to get a better deal, but you're not entitled to one. That's how it works.

Also, consider the difference if you cancelled and rebooked. It could be to your advantage.

We have received money back after final payment for about the last 5 cruises. With RCI, as long as it isn't one of their sales promotions, we have been given the discounted price. What we usually get is one for the senior price. With our upcoming cruise, there has already been a price reduction that we received back. It has to be in the same category as the one you have already booked, or you can move to a different category. I am not sure how it works with other lines, but it sure is worth a try.

Good luck!

Baxley ~ Just because the price drops on your cruise, doesn't mean you'll get a discount. Nor should you expect one. Certainly try by calling your TA or cruise line (whomever you booked with), but it's not a "given" that you'll get a discount. It's like airlines or hotel rooms. The prices vary. As a cruise draws near, prices tend to drop for new bookings to fill cabins. At least try to get a better deal, but you're not entitled to one. That's how it works.

Also, consider the difference if you cancelled and rebooked. It could be to your advantage.

This can totally back fire on you. I don't know about all cruise lines, but on many, if you cancel and try to rebook at the new price, you will not be allowed to; your booking will be at the original price. This is especially true if the price is lower with the restriction that the new lower price is for new bookings only.

This can totally back fire on you. I don't know about all cruise lines, but on many, if you cancel and try to rebook at the new price, you will not be allowed to; your booking will be at the original price. This is especially true if the price is lower with the restriction that the new lower price is for new bookings only.

Agreed. I should have stated to "make sure" you can rebook, do so, then cancel the original booking. Good point.

Archived