Mariner post dry dock...opinions please?

cruzndiz

Since I will be cruising RSSC for the first time, I have been voraciously devouring everyone's tidbits about their RSSC experiences. A common thread that seems to be running is that the line for the most part isn't on par with their experiences in the past when it comes to service & occasionally food. My question: since I will be cruising right after Mariner comes out of a short dry dock, does this mean that the staff will have just had a 10 day vacation? Maybe that will mean they are all rested, fresh & enthusiastic about being back to work?

We had the best service on the Mariner that we have ever had (May, 2008). I can only imagine how wonderful she will look after dry dock.

It does help to read posts from former Regent passengers. However, as with anything else, you have to consider the source. The entire Regent experience is amazing -- it is true luxury. Sometimes, former passengers can get a bit picky (me included:confused: ). Other times, you will read posts from people who prefer the smaller luxury lines and do not care for Regent.

If you haven't done so already, read a couple of recent reviews on the Mariner (in the Member Review section of CC). Enjoy your cruise!

Book lots of shore excursions and Mariner will feel like returning to paradise when you are worn out from the excursions. Even any Mariner sub-par service (unlikely) will feel like pampering.

The key on any cruise is to do things, if you just lay around you tend to focus on the trivial.

Or you could just abuse the open-bar policy :D

We were on Navigator right after a soft-goods refit. It seemed as if some staff got a break, some staff turned over in the normal way as their contracts expired, but many of the staff worked really hard to get the ship ready, after the actual work was done.

I wouldn't worry too much about the negative comments. I suspect that, depending on your past experiences, you will be very happy.

One of the things I've read concerning dry doc changes is the immanent removal of several bathtubs, to be replaced by shower only. While this is a happy thing for some, for us it is a deal breaker -- we want the tub!!!! Just doesn't seem like luxury to us with a shower....only! :(

I'm not sure if there is any way to determine which rooms will be changed, but personally, would love to know when selecting a room in advance. I hope it is made very clear after the changes at least.

But to answer your actual question, lol, we were on the both PG and the Mariner this summer and both were superb in food and in service IMO. Food selection & preparation, and special accommodations, both in the dining rooms and elsewhere were always exceptional. Service was always with a smile and willingness to help was always evident.

My only personal complaint was in feeling tips were indeed expected a few times, and even though I did not personally tip individuals, I felt uncomfortable, as did my family, friends. But even this was only with room service, and even then only once or twice on each ship.

There are isolated problems here & there occasionally on any line, but overall the experience was the best!!

bev

:cool:

Thanks B_E_V.....interestingly enough I actually looked at the icons and specifically BOOKED a shower only cabin b/c I had heard that the bathtubs were tough getting in & out of. (Not that I have any difficulty climbing, but it just sounded like a shower would be better). Plus it will be so nice for my poor husband to take a shower and not have me nagging him to "make sure you squeegee the glass before you get out" LOL;)

We were in the smae room two straight years on the Mariner,the first year the room had a tub and the second year it was a shower only room which we new was going to happen when we booked. For us the shower only was much better, plenty of room and a great shower head. The tub was very high to step over and I thought a little dangerous.

When I read the negative reviews ,I always wonder if we were on the same cruise ship. Some people are not happy unless they can complain about something.

However, you can easily tell which suites are "shower only" by viewing the deck plans on the rssc.com website.

Yes, that's very true now, but I'm wondering about after dry dock. In July on the Mariner, the hotel director addressed our group & said "a lot" more showers would be added and bathtubs removed during dry doc changes. Maybe the website will be updated quickly though. We have a very large group planned for next year and I'm hoping I can share the info easily -- hoping to avoid room changes later.

It's funny about the tubs -- everyone in our "circle" thought the deep tubs were very luxurious, lol. On the board here it seems to be the less than popular opinion! Oh well -- he promised they would leave a few, and of course the upscale rooms will have both shower and bathtub.

bev

:cool:

Archived