Strange Question.

mt_goodrich

I am 43 and married for over 15 years.

My wife and I went on a cruise three years ago and my wife really didn't have a good time. Said cruising wasn't her cup of tea.

Me? I had a pretty good time and secretly wanted to go on another cruise.

Fast forward three years.

Back in January, my 68 year old mother expressed an interest on taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise to my wife and I. My wife immediately said "I'm sure Mike would love to take you. He might have a great time". Mom went on to say she would pay all expenses, just wanted someone to go with her. Her close friend has an ill husband and can't go and my dad has been dead for over ten years.

I acted as if this might be a hardship for me, but inside I was kind of jumping for joy. Told my wife I didn't know about going on a cruise without her and she said "how much trouble can you get into with your mom?"

Okay...here is the question: Have anyone of you been on a cruise with an older parent? Just you two?

We are booked on the Crown Princess for an Eastern Caribbean cruise for a November 30th sailing. I am excited.

My mom has already expressed that she may only get off of the ship in St. Thomas and that is about it. She plans on sitting on the balcony, calling room service and reading the stack of book she will bring with her.

I am trying to figure out what all I can do to keep busy. I know eating is at the top of the list :)

Any other suggestions for someone who is married (but not with spouse) and will basically be on his own? I am not a drinker, so hanging out at bar wouldn't interest me. I love people watching and plan on taking a good camera. I don't think it would be possible to get bored, but want to know what you would do if in my position.

My wife and I went on a cruise three years ago and my wife really didn't have a good time. Said cruising wasn't her cup of tea.

Back in January, my 68 year old mother expressed an interest on taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise to my wife and I. My wife immediately said "I'm sure Mike would love to take you. He might have a great time". Mom went on to say she would pay all expenses, just wanted someone to go with her. Her close friend has an ill husband and can't go and my dad has been dead for over ten years.

I acted as if this might be a hardship for me, but inside I was kind of jumping for joy. Told my wife I didn't know about going on a cruise without her and she said "how much trouble can you get into with your mom?"

Okay...here is the question: Have anyone of you been on a cruise with an older parent? Just you two?

We are booked on the Crown Princess for an Eastern Caribbean cruise for a November 30th sailing. I am excited.

My mom has already expressed that she may only get off of the ship in St. Thomas and that is about it. She plans on sitting on the balcony, calling room service and reading the stack of book she will bring with her.

I am trying to figure out what all I can do to keep busy. I know eating is at the top of the list :)

Any other suggestions for someone who is married (but not with spouse) and will basically be on his own? I am not a drinker, so hanging out at bar wouldn't interest me. I love people watching and plan on taking a good camera. I don't think it would be possible to get bored, but want to know what you would do if in my position.

I think your mother's plan sounds fantastic. Especially since you have cruised in the past and have some idea on how the process works for boarding, disembarking, etc. What a nice way to spend a little quality time with you mom. Us mom's love having our sons all to ourselves sometimes. ;)

If your mom doesn't want to get off the ship in ports, look into some half day ships tours for you to take. If you book them through the ship, you will be with others you are sailing with, but it won't be like you are leaving mom alone on that balcony for 10 hours at a time. But will give you a little freedom to do something on your own, but with others.

It doesn't matter on a cruise or tour if you are married, divorced, single, everyone had a great time and passengers are usually very friendly on tours.

Enjoy! I think you will have a great time on this cruise.

I love people watching and plan on taking a good camera. I don't think it would be possible to get bored, but want to know what you would do if in my position.
Go on the cruise, take pictures and people watch. ;)

Also, you might think about looking into excursions that interest you (easy to do as a single), read over the on-ship activities in the Patter and find something new to try; there will always be other people at those activities to watch.

I'm 47 and cruise with my 70 yo Mom all the time. We always have a wonderful time! We don't stay joined at the hip and frequently take different excursions. (I'm still trying to get her on a zipline! :D ) There is so much to do that neither of us are bored. Plus, we both love sitting on the balconey reading. Go for it! You'll really have a terrific time with your Mom!

We did the America's Cup Regatta shore excursion (I might have the name a bit wrong) and loved it!!!

This would perhaps not be something your mom would enjoy or physically be able to do - it's hard work - but I think you would love it.

We had several singles on our excursion but you are split up into teams and work together on your boat so it's very inclusive and you would not feel like the odd man out.

If your balcony is on the right (as in correct) side of the ship and you are docked in the right place then your Mom could watch you racing out in the harbor.

This was the only shore excursion we did on our Eastern Caribbean cruise and we still rave about it to whomever will listen!

Also, if you enjoy people watching then IMO you will have more than enough to occupy your time. That's how I spend a big part of my day - that and just watching the water.

Enjoy, you are making your mom very happy and that is something to be proud of.

This is a WONDERFUL idea! I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Don't forget that many many husbands will be onboard too. Wives tend to ditch them while they go to the spa etc. You will find plenty of other guys to talk to. I am pretty sure there is a sports court onboard, check it out.

It sounds like a really great opportunity for you to relax and enjoy a pressure free week. I wish my DH would let me go on a cruise without him.

I just did a cruise with my Mom last October. Luckily she was a game hen and was off the ship with me a lot. However, I did some of the ship excursions on my own when she didn't want to get off - it was fun, I met a lot of people and had a great time.

i'm 58 and took my 26 year old daughter on a cruise a year ago may. i know she was skeptical at first but i can tell you she had a great time both with and without me. she made friends on her own, and while this was her first cruise and maybe her last for a while (she's a second year ortho surgical resident with the army) she would tell you to go for it! we did eat all of our dinners together, went on the same excursions and went to the shows, but there was a lot of time for us to do our own thing. i think you'll have a great time and it's a nice bonding experience at any age :D

jeralyn ;)

We had a gentleman on our cruise last year that was traveling without his wife. He joined our roll call and there were many of us that did things together as a group. We had couples, singles, kids, just a great mixture of everyone. Join your roll call and make some friends! We still keep in touch and hope to cruise with him again one day.

I cruised Alaska with my 82 yr old father and we had a blast. He tired easily but I had my books so that was ok. My fondest memory is the 2 of us dancing under the stars. Go and share what will be a treasured time with your mom. I'd give a million bucks if my mom were still alive.

We did the America's Cup Regatta shore excursion (I might have the name a bit wrong) and loved it!!!

This would perhaps not be something your mom would enjoy or physically be able to do - it's hard work - but I think you would love it.

We had several singles on our excursion but you are split up into teams and work together on your boat so it's very inclusive and you would not feel like the odd man out.

If your balcony is on the right (as in correct) side of the ship and you are docked in the right place then your Mom could watch you racing out in the harbor.

This was the only shore excursion we did on our Eastern Caribbean cruise and we still rave about it to whomever will listen!

Also, if you enjoy people watching then IMO you will have more than enough to occupy your time. That's how I spend a big part of my day - that and just watching the water.

Enjoy, you are making your mom very happy and that is something to be proud of.

Did that one a year ago and I too still rave about it.

The nice thing about the 12 meter yachts is that you choose how much you do aboard the yacht. A little or a lot. In fact the most important job on the boat was the least physical. Digging out soft drinks and beer from the cooler for the crew when asked! :D

OH YA! You don't need to be a boater or a sailor to have a ball on this tour, my wife and I were the only sailors aboard (other than the crew) and everyone loved the race which we BTW won!

I did an Alaskan cruise with my 81 year old mother last summer, and then this summer did one with my 18 year old daughter without my husband. Both experiences were extra special.

When my mother needed her daily rest, I would walk around the promenade deck for exercise or join in on one of the ship games that go on through the day. We enjoyed excursions on most of the ports. Once in awhile she was quite reluctant to actually go on them, but then she loved each and every one. Walking was pretty hard on her, but she managed. She would take the elevator, and I would do the stairs meeting her. I suggest you show your Mom some of the possible excursions available and get her excited in that way. Since she has not cruised, she probably doesn't realize all the things that you can do at the ports. I don't think she would be sorry if you can reassure her that everything is safe and they get you back to the ship on time.

My mother's health has gone down hill since then, so I am so happy we were able to do this one thing before she was not able to go anymore. When I did get a little frustrated with her, I reminded myself that she paid for the trip, and I needed to show her the good time and not worry about myself. That helped a lot.

Now with my daughter, I was so lucky that she spent most of her time with me till the last of the cruise she made good friends with a table companion, and then I had more time on my own. Same thing, I did some of the ship games, (Bingo etc.) We always had dinner together and did excursions together. It was so special to have this mother daughter time before she left for college.

I would never turn down a cruise, and you and your Mom will never forget this special time together. Enjoy!!!!

My sister and myself have taken our mom (82) on a couple of cruises. The last one, she didn't want to tender to Grand Cayman with us so she sat and enjoyed ocean watching on the Lido deck and she made her way to the buffet when she wanted to. She enjoyed taking the different city tour excursions that Princess offers and if she didn't feel like getting out to see the sights she stayed on the bus.

My sister enjoys snorkelling so she would go on one excursion and I would pick something that interested me. Quite a few people separate to do excursions so you don't have to feel uncomfortable going by yourself.

In the evening there is a lot of different entertainment that you can enjoy with your mom or by yourself.

My mom has now passed away and we miss taking the cruises with her, so enjoy them when you can with your mom.

I am also taking my mum on her first cruise on the crown princess on november 30. I am 24 and have been on one cruise before and she is 57. I plan to spend all the time i can with her as we get on really well and have the same interests. We have already planned what shore excursions we are doing. If i do get a bit bored when shes doing anything im not interested in ill have a look at the activities going on on the ship and give them ago but i dont think ill have to do this very much. My mum is great. :D

Another vote with the "go for it" group:). My mom used to love travelling, and I went with her several times on trips that just didn't appeal to my husband. It made for many great memories now that she's passed on. If you like your mom you truly won't regret it.

As to your wife not liking cruising; honestly it could have been the cruise line/ship that you were on previously. We were on Carnival for 2 cruises that I won for work several years ago and couldn't stand the darn things. But I wanted to see various islands, so we tried with Princess and loved it. It really has to be a "fit" between cruiser and ship/itinerary.

Best of luck with your decision-if your wife's fine with it-go and have a great time-you'll always treasure the memories.:)

Imac, I am also 47 and my Mom 70 & we travel together often and always have a great time. I had to laugh at what you said about the Ziplining.

She is the one that had to talk me into going! Now we try to plan at least one zipline excursion per trip.

I went to the Eastern Caribbean a few years back w/ my Mom and 2 Aunts & 2 Uncles (all in their 70's at that time). It was nice to spend time w/ my Mother and I have memories and pics to treasure always. Go and have a good time. There will be plenty to do together and then some things for you to do if your Mom is needing to rest or turn in early. that's the nice thing about a cruise--there is always others around to meet and visit with and enough space and activities to fill more than a week. Your wife doesn't know what she's missing.

Imac, I am also 47 and my Mom 70 & we travel together often and always have a great time. I had to laugh at what you said about the Ziplining.

She is the one that had to talk me into going! Now we try to plan at least one zipline excursion per trip.

We're doing a Panama cruise this Feb. She's really excited about it and has been working out so I think she'll be ready for the zipline on this trip!

I am also taking my mum on her first cruise on the crown princess on november 30. I am 24 and have been on one cruise before and she is 57. I plan to spend all the time i can with her as we get on really well and have the same interests. We have already planned what shore excursions we are doing. If i do get a bit bored when shes doing anything im not interested in ill have a look at the activities going on on the ship and give them ago but i dont think ill have to do this very much. My mum is great. :D

We'd love to have you join our Crown November 30th roll call!

Janette

Archived