Little things mean alot ~~

Martita B.

As we all know "little things mean alot..." Please post as to what small courtesies or favors you've enjoyed aboard a Seabourn Yacht!

We've all experienced a small (or several) surprise or an encounter.

The reason I thought of this was my thinking the other day of a good friend's "luncheons at the Sky Bar." ~~~ a couple of years ago my friend, Miss W, complimented the Sky Bar Chef as to his perfect preparation/cooking of lamb chops. This was a "small thing" ~~to her ~~evidently not to him. Everyday thereafter when he would start setting up his luncheon grill and tent he would stop and say to Miss W, "I'll have your special lamb chops ready for you in just a few minutes, ~~ they'll be just for you!" He would grin from ear to ear ~~~

Even though a fellow shipmate would have invited her to dine in the Veranda or the restaurant for lunch, she wouldn't leave the Sky Bar ~~~ she did not want to disappoint the sweet Sky Bar Chef.

One reason I so love Seabourn is the kindness and thoughtfulness shown to one another ~~both by Guests and by the Staff and Crew.

Please post your "Little things mean alot" story ~~~

Happy Sailing:p

Martita B.

My friend was telling me that her friend just returned from her first SB trip and it was on the Legend. She said that the Sky Bar no longer had the hamburger/hot dog lunch. Has anyone else heard this? My friend was disapointed, as she and her husband love to lounge around pool side and generally ate at the Sky Bar.

LaPaloma,

Oh this must be a new change.......I'll be very disappointed if there is no longer a Sky Grill luncheon!:mad: I thought it quite popular ~~

Guess we can always order from the room service menu and still dine

alfresco ~~I love the hamburgers and french fries.

Thanks for the update.

Martita B.

LaPaloma,

Oh this must be a new change.......I'll be very disappointed if there is no longer a Sky Grill luncheon!:mad: I thought it quite popular ~~

Guess we can always order from the room service menu and still dine

alfresco ~~I love the hamburgers and french fries.

Thanks for the update.

Martita B.

Any time you get the word second hand..you want to hear it first hand. So perhaps someone who has been on lately can claify. Lola

Martha, there were so many kindnesses and not so small gestures on our last cruise (Pride) - where to begin? Because we are away from home (Florida) quite a bit, over the past few years have begun to travel with a little black Pooh bear, it sounds silly but he reminds us of things we miss. Cristina our stewardress saw him dressed one day and immediately thereafter "adopted" him. At night she would prop him amongst the towel figures, or make a bed for him, give him chocolate, etc., it meant a lot to us because it showed how sensitive a person she was. Another time, because somewhere along the line the powers to be forgot to show me how to sew - even a simple thing like threading a needle, and my husband needed something done on his shirt, she immediately sat down, fixed the button and the next day there was a needle all ready threaded and waiting in a beautiful little cushion! It became a joke about my love of :"exactly one scoop of coffee ice cream and so small amount of chocolate sauce, you could hardly see it! One evening as a joke, they brought the ice cream only they brought about 8 scoops!, we still laugh about that. Carol Frey and Crina both extended courtesies to us, one not so small - when we decided at the last minute to not take a tour we had signed up for, and put together another tour when we were disappointed at not being able to bike - and what a wonderful biking experience we had through Helsinki! They both are wonderful and we will miss Crina when she leaves. So many lovely moments - such a grand experience and no doubt it is the human touch of these wonderful young men and women that make you want to come back. On the last morning (we were off by 8 in the morning) all of a sudden I hear someone calling my name and running down from upstairs is Timo who has now left to work in Berlin - gave me a big hug and well what can I say, he is just another example of how special the staff is. This cruise was extraordinary because of two things in particular: one was an act of kindness by Capt. Anderson and the dining room staff in allowing a young man who was a guest to give the other guests their napkins upon arrival. (he was a challenged young man), it was very emotional to see how proud his parents were of him and more to see how they made this young person so happy. The other was on the last night we had the privilege to hear George Wein, the founder of the Newport Jazz Festival play and tell us the most wonderful stories. It was announced the night before that he would be in the Lounge right before dinner. There was not a dry eye in that lounge when he said that it was his dream to see St. Petersburg and that his wife of 46 years had passed away and well, here he was. When he walked into the dining room afterwards, the entire room stood and applauded! It is moments like this, actions taken that are done so with the heart by a Captain who thinks with his head but clearly loves people, and things that might seem small, but well in the telling, remain with you for a long, long time. They are remarkable..... Rene'

Everyone is posting about all the lovely favours that have been done for them....but what does it mean when you enter the Dining Room and the wait staff say "oh no...not you again!!"....or the very last day of your cruise, one of the wait staff insists on carrying your hand luggage off the ship and follows up by saying "I just want to make sure you leave"??? :eek:

Everyone is posting about all the lovely favours that have been done for them....but what does it mean when you enter the Dining Room and the wait staff say "oh no...not you again!!"....or the very last day of your cruise, one of the wait staff insists on carrying your hand luggage off the ship and follows up by saying "I just want to make sure you leave"??? :eek:

Now we all know that you and John are favorites of the staff and crew and they know you well enough to be a bit cheeky, shall we say?

I do hope you will post about your next adventures, even if not on Seabourn!

Any time you get the word second hand..you want to hear it first hand. So perhaps someone who has been on lately can clarify. Lola

Perhaps it was one of the port-intensive itineraries and they don't have the Sky Bar Grill on those days. I am sure our Martita can get the answer. With the new configuration lunch is even more delightful at the Sky Bar.

Last January on the Pride whilst having lunch one of the waiters overheard me saying that I was not sure wht to have for a dessert. He promptly came over and fetched me a selection of 'puddings' including ice cream.

The same waiter saw me-plate in hand-in a hury selecting items from the biffet lunch. I told him we were having a very quick lunch as we were departing on the Machu Picchu trip and had only 15 minsto spare. He insisted on selcting items for me, taking them to the cabin. putting the table up and then taking a suitcase off the ship to the waiting bus.

How very kind

Is Crina leaving?

I knew her boyfriend is British as she is getting married.

Kind regards

Tony

PS Martita when do you leave for your next cruise?

I received a reply from the Pride as to Sky Bar lunches. They are still very popoular ~~and still being held. As Jane pointed out, "the Sky Bar hamburger/hot dog lunches are not available on port days."

Tony, my luggage will be picked up Oct. 3rd and I'll take off Oct 13th ~~your buddy, Captain Dexter, will come aboard in Lisbon on Oct. 30th. I'll be happy to remind him to send you a note.

Happy Sailing:p

Martita B.

We, my sister (her first Seabourn ) and myself (a die hard Seabournette) are excitedly preparing for our Legend cruise. In filling out the guest information, I noted that my sister had vision problems and a couple of other items to note before our embarkation. They sent this on to the Legend and in turn the Legend sent an email back asking if they could print the dinner menus in a larger font for her to read. Now, that is service! I can't wait for her to experience all the wonderful aspects of Seabourn. This will be my first time on the Legend, having had been on Pride and Spirit, but also know nothing will be different, except for the one bathroom sink, and am eagerly looking forward to our trip.

Also because this is port intensive, I do hope the sky grill is open at least one day so she can experience the enjoyment of it along with my standing order of guacomole and chips to accompany our beverages.

What a sweet story ~~thank you for sharing it with us! I know you and your Sister will love the Legend ~~ Have lots of fun.......

I'm looking forward to being with you on the Odyssey TA Crossing, Oct. 2009.

We were dining at the Sky Grill in the Caribbean on evening when the Pride hit a "speed bump!" I had placed my new Mary Francis handbag at the side of the table when the ship hit the wave, a wine glass tipped over ~~red wine all over the tablecloth AND my new purse! The Executive Housekeeper was dining at a nearby table and noticed the "flurry" at our table. She came running over, grabbed my new handbag and said, "Oh, I'll run it down to David in the laundry ~~he's a magician with stains!" Sure 'nuff, the next morning the purse was delivered to my Suite......brand new! (compliments of David, Laundry Master)

Yet, another "'lit things mean so much" story.

Martita B.

Fortunately my upcoming cruise is a crossing; I plan to be at the Sky Grill daily and hope there is plenty of guacamole. On one cruise guacamole was not a daily item but there was always a bowl for us--another kindness. And the lamb chops are indeed lovely. Maybe I'll tote along some jalapeno jelly, which is delicious with lamb. Do you think TSA will confiscate it? Three ounces is just not enough.

Winnie

Matt

Do you remember the navy wool "ships's blanket's" we use to have on the Pride? Mother always loved those and one time the waiter placed a plaid one on her lap and she said, "Oh, where are our navy throws?" He snickered and replied....."Oh don't tell anybody but we stole these from the Legend! They don't know it yet!"

Guess the Pride-ites are pirates!

Hope all is well in South Florida!

MB

'Little things as breadsticks, escargot, bubble baths and freshly mixed Mojitos mean alot!

Anyone else enjoy small things aboard a Seabourn Yacht?

MB

Having fun with the staff means ALOT!!

Host Dan

Dan

Especially when you walk into your suite after an evening of celebrating in the Club to find your "home" totally engulfed with back and white balloons! (I thought I must have opened the wrong suite door) Yep, the guilty party, YOUR Staff ~~~

(they loved "gettin' me" ~~~:eek: )

Martita B.

Dan

Especially when you walk into your suite after an evening of celebrating in the Club to find your "home" totally engulfed with back and white balloons! (I thought I must have opened the wrong suite door) Yep, the guilty party, YOUR Staff ~~~

(they loved "gettin' me" ~~~:eek: )

Martita B.

We "came home" one night to a tribal gentleman in our bed courtesy of our darling stewardess! Guess they know who they can pick on!

Hi Martha,

What a great topic! As you know, Richard and I took our first Seabourn cruise in Spring 07 on the Pride Trans-Atlantic and there were so many "little things" that added up to a whole lot o' love for Seabourn - I've been gnashing my teeth trying to work our our schedules to get back aboard a Seabourn ship but things like that nasty 4-letter word - work - and life's handing you challenges (moving, aging parents, job changes, etc.) have made it impossible so far. We're looking to Asia for either Fall 2009 or 2010. It seems SO far away time wise. We're on a Seadream Trans-Atlantic next April as its schedule worked for ours.

What we found on the Pride was a staff that lives up to the marketing - truly wonderful and in our humble opinions, the best at sea. Our tastes and preferences were known and honored from the get go. Breadsticks - couldn't get enough of them. After the first dinner, the staff would bring them to our table for every meal, including breakfast! The chenille blankets? I wanted to take them home with me. Our stewardess saw I used it on the bed instead of the comforter as the comforter was too warm for me, and she brought another to the suite so that we'd have one on the sofa and bed. Quiet reading times in the front lounge and coffee and sweets mysteriously appearing on the table. Champagne glasses that were never allowed to get empty - made for a couple of fuzzy mornings! Cold water and towels brought to our treadmills, the list goes on and on.

We hope you have a wonderful crossing and we look forward to cruising with you again soon.

Perry & Richard

Archived