Tipping (Mariner)

cruzndiz

The issue is passengers not respecting Regent guidelines -- not Americans. From your signature, I see that you really have not been far outside of the U.S. Perhaps when you do a bit more world travel, you will understand why your comments were hurtful and offensive to many people.

The poster said SPECIFICALLY that Americans don't follow the tipping rules, compared to Euros, Canadians, etc. NOT ME. I was merely responding.

Furthermore, I've been out of the USA many times. Cruising isn't the only mode of travel, something tells me you know that.

I'm the child of 1st generation immigrants. (But thank God I'm an American Citizen...I've got something others literally die to get ) Traveled in many countries, speak 3 languages fluently,,,all the time. Some of us were born into multiculturalism, we didn't have to get on a cruise ship to experience it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

It's individual choice to tip or not. It IS inclusive so if someone doesn't tip, fine. If someone tips over and above, I see no harm in it...so shoot me.

I'm not trying to tell people to tip, why do people need to scold those that do?

Have we turned into a community of condo associations where we gotta tell each other what to do?

Relax, enjoy the cruise. If you don't pay some steward 40 bucks, or if you do...it's your business and nobody else's.

Oh, and I am not trying to force my beliefs and culture on the people of another country. Sure, if I am in India I'll take off my shoes when entering a Hindu temple whereas I would never do so in a Church here in America.

But in the privacy of my own stateroom, a monetary gesture of thanks to someone who served me well is just that. It's hardly an international diplomatic controversy. (Or, 'row', as some of my British friends might call it)

(btw,,ive also eaten at the International House of Pancakes so don't say I'm not well traveled)

Remember, the "tips included" policy was developed to protect THE CREW from guests from other countries where tipping is not the norm. The reasoning was that having the crew rely heavily on tips for compensation wouldn't be fair to them on a line with many international guests, many of which do not tip as we in the US do. So I don't think anybody is suggesting that offering a tip to a service crew member violates any ship-board tradition.

The problem is this. While those of us from the US are accustomed to tipping, we do not care to tip TWICE. If too many Regent guests tip (in spite of the tips included policy) this will amount to "double tipping" which will become an expectation of the crew.

Remember, the "tips included" policy was developed to protect THE CREW from guests from other countries where tipping is not the norm. The reasoning was that having the crew rely heavily on tips for compensation wouldn't be fair to them on a line with many international guests, many of which do not tip as we in the US do. So I don't think anybody is suggesting that offering a tip to a service crew member violates any ship-board tradition.

The problem is this. While those of us from the US are accustomed to tipping, we do not care to tip TWICE. If too many Regent guests tip (in spite of the tips included policy) this will amount to "double tipping" which will become an expectation of the crew.

Thank you for stating that so well;)

"double tipping" which will become an expectation of the crew.

This is the piece of the debate I don't buy. While I have seen individual tipping being done on Regent cruises, I have never gotten the impression from any crew member in any capacity that they expected additional compensation and I have no reason to expect that this will change

This is the piece of the debate I don't buy. While I have seen individual tipping being done on Regent cruises, I have never gotten the impression from any crew member in any capacity that they expected additional compensation and I have no reason to expect that this will change

Really hope you are right. There have a few posts recently that made me think otherwise.

Goofy, if only a few scattered passengers tip, then you're right -- it won't be the norm, and it won't be expected by crew members. But if more and more passengers tip individual crew members, then it does become the norm, and it does become expected. If repeat passengers are known tippers, crew members who remember them (as many crew members do) will then invariably pay more attention to them, favor them -- to the detriment of other passengers. It's a slippery slope. That's why many people here encourage fellow passengers not to follow their instinct to tip friendly crew members, and to either not tip or give money to the crew fund.

-- Eric

I guess my point is that this debate has been going on for at least 6 years that I know of, and I haven't noticed an impact on service or the way we are treated.

Since we enjoy a wide variety of vacation experiences we don't cruise enough to be recognized by crew members so they have no idea whether we tip, contribute to the fund, or do nothing and still we are treated royally.

Maybe I trust in the professionalism of the crew selected by Regent to work on their ship more than others.

Just doesn't seem to be an issue, but gets discussed a lot, like dress codes.

I just hope this board doesn't deginerate into the type of board that exists elsewhere on this site when the subjects of dress code, tipping and oh yes smoking are discussed, that truly is a slippery slope. Those other boards are amusing to read but certainly don't want this board to get like that.

Just my ramblings.

Archived