Tipping (Mariner)

cruzndiz

We are spending 8 weeks on Seabourn starting in 4 weeks time.

One of the reasons we chose this line was the no-tipping policy. As Australians we find the whole tipping thing distasteful, although we abide by the customs of each country we visit.

We even had unpleasant experiences of the 'hand out' mentality on Crystal.

If anyone even remotely has their hand out in expectation of a tip we will certainly be complaining about it!

We are always polite and respectful to the staff and if at the end of the cruise they have done a good job, they will have our sincere thanks and the appropriate written comments.

Steve.

So, it seems that people have seen *overt* cases where the staff seemed to be angling for tips. I'm not disputing this, but I have never seen it, ever. Perhaps it has something to do with what level of cabin you have? I'm usually in a minimum cabin, so perhaps they don't expect this of us. I can test this out next year when I have a PHB on Voyager.

I still stand by my earlier statement that no tipping means just that.

Funny about Canadians--I thought we would be known as being good tippers! But then I live in Toronto, not Vancouver. Our restaurant servers certainly do not get paid a living wage, not close.

I didn't know that about the phone cards--have never read that they were useless. Perhaps locally-purchased ones would be better. Or ask the staff themselves what brand of phone cards they use.

Talking of wedding anniversaries, we celebrated our 55th on Mariner. The staff in Signatures did us proud, as did all the other guests who crowded round with good wishes ( and a card from the Captain, with a bottle of Champagne and a cake in our suite when we got back).

Hope you have as memorable a time on October 11th.

Have to send you a special congratulations! Wow -- 55 years. I'm not surprised to hear that the staff on Mariner treated you well! Maybe you'll celebrate your 60th on the Voyager:)

If I was hustled for a tip on Regent I would not hesitate to make note of the person's name and note it on the comment card. However, as evidenced by the cool treatment received by Cruisedreamer1, I would not name anyone or make negative comments mid-cruise but would wait until the end unless it was something that was effecting me everyday and then I'd take it up with the hotel manager.

Wendy, don't take too much notice about the Canadians are cheap tippers thing. I place it up there with the myths like all people in the southern US are rednecks. Simply not true and a terrible way of painting all people with a wide brush. I'm sure Travelcat has seen and heard servers in her area complain about some Canadians but that doesn't make it true for all Canadians. If some people want to believe in a stereotype then it only reflects on them. We've had dinner together before and I know that both you and I are good tippers....along with the other Canadians and Americans from CC we dined with.

Editing to add, Jackie, this is in no way a poke at you.........my comment about people believing in sterotypes. I mean the servers that believe this and refuse to serve Canadians. I appreciate that you were only passing on what you have heard my friend.

Pat

Thanks, TC2. We had our 57th earlier this month and we have our fingers crossed that we are fit and well enough for cruising when our 60th comes around.

Meanwhile, I hope both of you enjoy October 11. Best wishes.

Congratulations on your 57th! That's absolutely wonderful and so nice to read about considering that marriages today seem so expendable. It was nice to read how Regent helped make the day special for you also. Good on them! Jackie sending early congrats to you and your hubbie for the 11th!

Pat.

Congratulations on your 57th! That's absolutely wonderful and so nice to read about considering that marriages today seem so expendable. It was nice to read how Regent helped make the day special for you also. Good on them! Jackie sending early congrats to you and your hubbie for the 11th!

Pat.

Thanks so much for the congrats. Although we were scheduled to fly home on that day, Regent was unable find a flight. . . so, they put us up in a great hotel in Athens (at their expense) for the night. How perfect for an anniversary!

OrpingtonT -- sorry I short-changed you two years on that anniversary. 57 years is super!

I find the mandatory tipping on regular lines irratating. In fact the only tips I enjoyed making were to staff not covered by the normal schedule. Sometimes if I frequented a specific bar for the week, I would give a favored bartender an extra $10 or so to recognize that. But overall I despise tipping as it is an attempt by the lines (just like resturants in the US) to hide their real costs.

Along come the six star lines and they say, "We are going to pay our people a real wage and not extort you for tips. You know when you buy your ticket that everything and everyone is paid for." What is wrong with that. I took one last Celebrity after my first Regent cruise. I am done with Celebrity. Instead of getting a Sky Suite or above on Celebrity and paying tips, I cruise Regent and I do not have crowds, tips or chits to sign.

At the end of my first Regent cruise, I did as suggested and on the last day I made a payment to the crew fund. I put cash in an envelope and left it at the front desk at 8 am. At 8:30 as we were leaving our cabin, we got a thank you note from the fund manager. In subsequent cruises I also made donations and immediately got an acknowledgement.

On my second Regent cruise, I asked a waiter if the crew benefited from the fund. He immediatedly responded yes. On my last cruise, I asked why staff left. Some do leave and go to other lines, but only as senior or manager staff. In other words, salaried positions like the six star lines, but only because the size of six star line limits ambitious staff from moving up.

I would echo that the best thing to do to six star staff is to mention them on the comment cards. I always fill out the card and also attach a multi -page letter. The second time I was on Navigator, Guiseppe remembered me from the letter. Not for what I said about him, but for what I mentioned about staff.

I have also never, ever felt that I was being worked for a tip. Never. I have been in every dining venue, bar and entertainment venue on Navigator and Mariner. I have had various room attendents and Butlers. Never has anyone acted like they wanted a tip. I have asked others like bar tenders and waiters and they are adament that we follow the rule. I therefore can only take their quality service to mean they want to make my vacation a quality experience.

So do what they recommend. You have paid the staff, enjoy the cruise, express your appreciation with a crew fund donation and take the time to complete your comment card with thoughtful comments on the real good and bad that you experienced. We will all benefit in the future from following these rules.

TW

• 5 months later...
On an upcoming cruise, we will be having some special seating arraingement requests that will cause the maitre de significant on-going extra work. Would it be appropriate to give him/her a thank-you card, up front, with some cash in it?

Ragnar, what part of the last 2 pages are you having trouble understanding? You are already paying a premium for a reason, and that is, to obtain a premium service.

I worked for an airline, and I never heard of flight attendants being tipped, even for going above and beyond the call of duty on the very best premium airlines in the world. So why should a premium (pre-paid) cruise line be any different?

Chill out, just use the comment card/crew fund already!

Ragnar, what part of the last 2 pages are you having trouble understanding? You are already paying a premium for a reason, and that is, to obtain a premium service.

I worked for an airline, and I never heard of flight attendants being tipped, even for going above and beyond the call of duty on the very best premium airlines in the world. So why should a premium (pre-paid) cruise line be any different?

Chill out, just use the comment card/crew fund already!

Tipping a flight attendant, no, but every year America Airlines sends me out a bunch of cards to hand out to their staff when I perceive excellent service. The staff gets to hand the cards in for some kind of bonus.

All the Regent staff I have ever spoken with agree that passenger comments go a long way towards their promotion and retention in the company.

In eight years, I have never heard, or seen anyone on Regent ask for a gratuity of any kind. But we have always give a room steward(ess) cash and a small gift at the end of the cruise. We have fun doing other things for them too. We once bought a stewardess a hair drier because the one supplied for her she had to share with 3 others and it did not work well either. Cost $25 with a euro plug. Another thing we always do is to find out when our steward(ess) has a port day off. We tell them not to make up the room that day and put out the do not disturb sign (and a note that we are not coming out of the cabin all day, or they will hang around to wait to see if the can clean the room). We have bought crew member lunch on shore or seen them walking and picked them up with our cab and taken them with us on privates, etc. There are a million things you can do to show your appreciation for outstanding service without tipping, if you want.

J

yeah but no but yeah but, can't win with you guys!

I do understand the prime motivation behind giving back, paying forward, or whatever -one does it because one gets to feel good about oneself.

If one feels the need to buck the trend in order to self-validate, or to put it another way, if one is incapable of passively receiving, and wholeheartedly enjoying a sense of entitlement that comes with the premium fares -as much as personal philanthropy is an ideal to strive toward- then there really is not much more to be said, is there? :(

http://www.rssc.com/cruisequestions/details.aspx?CatId=f4275cd3-3e6a-4fe4-90f9-61b64195636b

It does say encourage, but it does not say prohibited. We should not sit in judgement of what others wish to do with their own money. That being said it clearly states that gratuties are included and you are neither obligated nor requested to provide additional funds. I think to compare gratuity inclusion and breaking Chinese law as equivalent is clearly an exaggeration of course. The slush fund is a wonderful idea that benefits the whole staff, and is clearly their preference

My other comment is this prevalant concern of changing expectations from the personnel. As has been brought up several times in this forum, the staff are professionals and should behave according to the expectation of their employer. It seems these cases are extraordinarily rare because most customers do not tip individuals frequently. If there are a few crew members whose behavior is outside of thier appropriate capacity they should be handled as individuals. Lets put personal responsibility with each individual and not because somebody wants to give someone else a few dollars. The condemnation is coming across as slightly self righteous and that makes it feel appalling.

If that is worderd strongly it's beacuse I used to be in the service industry many years ago and the implication that crew cannot control their own behavior simply because they've been tipped by another is very insulting to the crew. You might as well say they're like hungry dogs and if you give them any steak they'll turn into a bunch of beggers....that's what I got from reading that. Is that how little we truly respect the staff?

And for a light question? Spa gratuity? :)

Tipping's clearly a cultural issue that causes some deep divisions here!

The bottom line here is not about tipping per se, but that some just 'have' to tip even when its neither encouraged or expected.

Outside of the US (I can't speak for Canada) tipping anyone other than agreeable wait staff, bellhops, and outstanding cab drivers is just not done. Period.

Let me add here that I visit the US frequently, and tip appropriately -because I respect the culture I am visiting, regardless of the social mores on my home turf!

You are all 100% correct in that its your money, and you are all perfectly entitled to hang over the rail of your suite balcony and feed the fish with copious wads of hundred dollar bills if that is your wont! I'm certainly not sitting in 'judgement', nor as far as I can tell, are any of the 'anti-tip' lobby, here.

We just call it as we see it, and tipping where its expressly not required is always more about the tipper than the tipee, that's just the reality of the psychology of giving. It's quite interesting to read about the lengths some of you have gone to, to tip without actually tipping! Clearly, this inability to recieve great service as part of a pre-paid expectation runs deep in the psyche of some! However, there is another side to that crisp twenty dollar bill you're slipping sideways, let me explain...

It becomes problematic when in effect it upsets the status-quo of a perfectly satisfactory arrangement. In effect, all that largesse can alienate and embarrass ones global cruise mates. Now, why risk secret social scorn, and go against the ships protocol as well, just for the sake of a few lousy bucks? To mix a metaphor, If it ain't broke, don't tip it!

Respecting how things are done elsewhere, even if it makes one feel a little uneasy, is a wiser choice in the long run. It means one treads lightly in the world, and one gains respect for the 'zen' of that in return. (I need hardly remind anyone here that you can't buy respect, plenty people will gladly take your money and secretly despise you, just because you have money to give!)

To the more restrained cultures (my fiancee is Singaporean Chinese) my American friends are sometimes perceived to be like big, bounding Mastiffs, they metaphorically leap up, tails wagging, and lick every strangers face! The nice doggie means well, but... Ewww! You get her point!

Again, that's not to be taken as a value judgement, its just how it comes across at times.

Aboard, or abroad, please follow the protocol (Crew fund/Comment Card) and you won't rock the boat!

And Ladies, I'm quite aware that Hairdressers, Spa staff, and the like are tipped significant amounts in the USA, it's not necessary, or expected, overseas. Good heavens! Is not the cost of these shipboard indulgences stratospheric enough as it is? :p

Tipping's clearly a cultural issue that causes some deep divisions here!

The bottom line here is not about tipping per se, but that some just 'have' to tip even when its neither encouraged or expected.

Outside of the US (I can't speak for Canada) tipping anyone other than agreeable wait staff, bellhops, and outstanding cab drivers is just not done. Period.

Let me add here that I visit the US frequently, and tip appropriately -because I respect the culture I am visiting, regardless of the social mores on my home turf!

You are all 100% correct in that its your money, and you are all perfectly entitled to hang over the rail of your suite balcony and feed the fish with copious wads of hundred dollar bills if that is your wont! I'm certainly not sitting in 'judgement', nor as far as I can tell, are any of the 'anti-tip' lobby, here.

We just call it as we see it, and tipping where its expressly not required is always more about the tipper than the tipee, that's just the reality of the psychology of giving. It's quite interesting to read about the lengths some of you have gone to, to tip without actually tipping! Clearly, this inability to recieve great service as part of a pre-paid expectation runs deep in the psyche of some! However, there is another side to that crisp twenty dollar bill you're slipping sideways, let me explain...

It becomes problematic when in effect it upsets the status-quo of a perfectly satisfactory arrangement. In effect, all that largesse can alienate and embarrass ones global cruise mates. Now, why risk secret social scorn, and go against the ships protocol as well, just for the sake of a few lousy bucks? To mix a metaphor, If it ain't broke, don't tip it!

Respecting how things are done elsewhere, even if it makes one feel a little uneasy, is a wiser choice in the long run. It means one treads lightly in the world, and one gains respect for the 'zen' of that in return. (I need hardly remind anyone here that you can't buy respect, plenty people will gladly take your money and secretly despise you, just because you have money to give!)

To the more restrained cultures (my fiancee is Singaporean Chinese) my American friends are sometimes perceived to be like big, bounding Mastiffs, they metaphorically leap up, tails wagging, and lick every strangers face! The nice doggie means well, but... Ewww! You get her point!

Again, that's not to be taken as a value judgement, its just how it comes across at times.

Aboard, or abroad, please follow the protocol (Crew fund/Comment Card) and you won't rock the boat!

And Ladies, I'm quite aware that Hairdressers, Spa staff, and the like are tipped significant amounts in the USA, it's not necessary, or expected, overseas. Good heavens! Is not the cost of these shipboard indulgences stratospheric enough as it is? :p

I have to agree with you dhream. When in Rome, do as the Roman's do. I have to say it's a North American ingrained custom to tip and we personally try to follow the cultures of the country we are visiting and not force our norms on them lest we offend. I do know that certain spas and salons in Britain do accept a tip for services as I was so educated by my daughter when she was working there at a spa and living there. She also said that tips were fine when working in Switzerland. I remember having a conversation with the spa staff onboard the Navigator about how they are contracted through a different company then Regent staff so that's why I always tipped the spa staff. If this has changed and they do indeed share in the crew fund etc., then please someone enlighten me and I'll stop the practice of tipping the spa.

Pat

Ebony, I agree with you. As for the poster who worked for the airlines, I was a flight attendant for 23 years and have seen insistent customers give a f/a's a tip at the end of a flight although against company policy. The policy was to refuse the tip but not refuse if they insisted on giving you one such as pushing a $50.00 bill in your jacket and running off the jet bridge.

Back to cruise ship tipping. We did tip our cabin stewardess and butler on Regent and that was our PERSONAL choice. As some of you know we cruise with Crystal and I have never seen the word "mandatory tipping" anywhere on any line. Tipping is a personal choice. Crystal pays their crew very well and tipping is alive and well on that cruise line. We receive pre-paid gratuity's on Crystal plus $1,300.00 cabin credits from our TA. We feel that Crystal staff delivers 5+ star service to its guests. This was not our experience on RSSC/Regent after five cruises with them and 15 with Crystal.

My feeling is if you want to give someone something extra on the all inclusive line that gave you exceptional service that would be fine. Certainly don't let people dictate to you that you should not. It is your money do with it as you please and enjoy your cruise.

]http://www.rssc.com/cruisequestions/details.aspx?CatId=f4275cd3-3e6a-4fe4-90f9-61b64195636b

It does say encourage, but it does not say prohibited. We should not sit in judgement of what others wish to do with their own money. That being said it clearly states that gratuties are included and you are neither obligated nor requested to provide additional funds. I think to compare gratuity inclusion and breaking Chinese law as equivalent is clearly an exaggeration of course. The slush fund is a wonderful idea that benefits the whole staff, and is clearly their preference

My other comment is this prevalant concern of changing expectations from the personnel. As has been brought up several times in this forum, the staff are professionals and should behave according to the expectation of their employer. It seems these cases are extraordinarily rare because most customers do not tip individuals frequently. If there are a few crew members whose behavior is outside of thier appropriate capacity they should be handled as individuals. Lets put personal responsibility with each individual and not because somebody wants to give someone else a few dollars. The condemnation is coming across as slightly self righteous and that makes it feel appalling.

If that is worderd strongly it's beacuse I used to be in the service industry many years ago and the implication that crew cannot control their own behavior simply because they've been tipped by another is very insulting to the crew. You might as well say they're like hungry dogs and if you give them any steak they'll turn into a bunch of beggers....that's what I got from reading that. Is that how little we truly respect the staff?

Regent really does not want you tipping the cabin steward. The crew are well paid and much better then the main stream lines where tipping is expected to supplement their salary. I know that it seems foreign not to do this but please don't buck the system. No one leaves a tip unless a crew member has done something extraordinary and gone out of their way to do it. Example, going into town, in port to pick something up for you and then delivering it to your cabin......that would be grounds for giving the steward a tip. But for everyday good service it is not required, nor expected and that's why Regent says all-inclusive including tips. You've already paid for it in your cruise fare.

If you really want to leave something to show your appreciation then you can do what several of us do here and that is leave money in an envelope with Crew Fund addressed on it and take it to the office and they will see that it gets to the Crew Fund. This money is pooled and shared by the entire crew of the ship and used for things like buying bycycles that they all can use while in port. Stuff like that.

So please don't tip individuals, no matter how strange it feels and ruin what Regent has going. After a few all-inclusive cruises you will soon get used to it. You are in for a treat and will love Regent.

Pat

We have over 1000 days credit on many different cruise lines...YES we are a couple of gray haired (but fun loving) folks. We always make a donation to the crew welfare fund, and yes, if service is well above & beyond, will give a SMALL gift to our stewardess commensurate with the help she has given. What really burns me is the passenger (and there are a number of them on each cruise) who will announce the fact that they have given to some staff member & will often mention the amount .....

To quote Shakespeare....."me thinks the lady doth protest too much" After all a true donor does so not for the glory.

My feeling is if you want to give someone something extra on the all inclusive line that gave you exceptional service that would be fine. Certainly don't let people dictate to you that you should not. It is your money do with it as you please and enjoy your cruise.

I think to compare gratuity inclusion and breaking Chinese law as equivalent is clearly an exaggeration of course. The slush fund is a wonderful idea that benefits the whole staff, and is clearly their preference

I disagree on so many points -- where do I begin? Regent (Silversea & Seabourn) created an all-inclusive, luxury cruising for passengers who choose to have this type of experience. Those of us who cruise all-inclusive lines are aware that we are paying considerably more money in order to not have to think about signing for anything, tipping, etc. We are also comfortable knowing that the crew of these ships are making a higher than average wage (for people working in the cruise industry).

Even suggesting that posts on these threads are comparing the behavior of human beings to that of dogs is absurd! However, since you made the comment about feeding dogs steak. . . . . . . . yes, feeding animals steak can certainly turn them into beggers. This has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

When room service delivers your breakfast, for instance, who do you feel is giving the service? Is it the people making the breakfast, preparing the trays, delivering the food, setting it up on your suite, cleaning up after you are finished, washing the dishes or washing and ironing the tablecloth? This question could be raised on most services provided to you on board. On most cruise lines, the people behind the scenes are not getting the tips (and, they are making a low salary). It does not matter if they are doing a great job or just a mediocre job -- you, the passenger, will not even see the person(s).

I do not feel anyone on this thread has sounded the least bit self-rightous. What I do not understand is why some people feel it necessary to go against what is suggested. Stating that there are countries (China) where tipping is not permitted or countries where it is not done (Tahiti) is relevant. In my opinion, following the laws/guidelines/suggestions of a cruise line, hotel, country, etc. is showing respect. Either you are going to show the respect. . . or not. No one is forcing you.

A last comment. . . . the crew fund is for the benefit of all employees -- not the select few whose faces you see every day.

announce the fact that they have given to some staff member & will often mention the amount .....

To quote Shakespeare....."me thinks the lady doth protest too much" After all a true donor does so not for the glory.

I agree with you, Chelonia. Every thread on tipping from a newbie who wonders whether to tip or not, doesn't only get the answer " tipping is neither expected or encouraged" but also details of the respondants own philanthropy.

WOW ... what a passionate group of people! :D

This will be our first Regent Cruise.

I am one of those people who have felt (in the past) somehow "guilty" if I didn't tip - whether it was expected or encouraged or not ...

BUT - I have to say after reading all of these posts what seems to make the most sense to me personally is donating to the crew "fund."

Also - the idea of asking your butler or steward if there is anything they need from "land" sounds like a genuinely warm and friendly thing to do if one is so inclined - and something I might consider depending on the circumstances.

And on a much LIGHTER note - we have 3 seven year old cocker spaniel brothers... and trust me giving them steak DOES make them beggars - we have certainly learned that the hard way. ;)

Archived