Tipping (Mariner)

cruzndiz

I was the originator of this particular thread and was concerned before leaving that I might feel "strange" not tipping since I had never been on a cruise where tipping wasn't expected.

Posters had indicated that some of the staff seemed to expect tips even though the cruise is billed as all - inclusive. Now that I am off the ship I can tell you with 100% certainty that nothing could be further from the truth.

ALL of the staff was gracious and accommodating at all times; the passengers that I spoke to all indicated that they would not do any individual tipping but would in fact contribute to the crew fund as I did. There was only one gentleman I encountered in ten days who gleefully boasted that he was tipping his cabin steward -- and I use the term "boasted" specifically because it was quite obvious that he was doing it for show more than for anything else.

Bottom line: tipping is not only unnecessary but grossly unfair to the all of the unseen people who are working to make your cruise experience wonderful -- contribute to the Crew Fund, they deserve it and you will make everyone happy

"People in the past have suggested phone cards for the room steward. Practical and useful, since they all scurry off the ships to call home in port."

On a "no tip" ship, anything extra is thoughtful and i'm sure, appreciated. And tippins is personal so I am NOT downgrading the phone card idea...but rather offering my preference of giving cash.

I ask myself a simple question....

Would I rather get paid in phone cards, or cash?

I go with cash.

"People in the past have suggested phone cards for the room steward. Practical and useful, since they all scurry off the ships to call home in port."

On a "no tip" ship, anything extra is thoughtful and i'm sure, appreciated. And tippins is personal so I am NOT downgrading the phone card idea...but rather offering my preference of giving cash.

I have heard that there are some problems with the phone cards that are purchased in port. Still, it would be so nice to give a card to some of the wonderful employees behind the scene. They would be very surprised and quite graateful.

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised Regent a number of times and when blessed with outstanding service - from bartender (wonderful caiprihanas! plus the recipe) to pool waiter to cabin stewardess - we leave a twenty dollar bill or two in an envelope with a note of thanks and their name on it.

Also, we second the idea of naming these crew members on the cruise feedback form. Their promotions are baseed largely on guest input such as this.

I also speak personally with the Cruise Director to recommend someone.

We have cruised Regent a number of times and when blessed with outstanding service - from bartender (wonderful caiprihanas! plus the recipe) to pool waiter to cabin stewardess - we leave a twenty dollar bill or two in an envelope with a note of thanks and their name on it.

Also, we second the idea of naming these crew members on the cruise feedback form. Their promotions are baseed largely on guest input such as this.

I also speak personally with the Cruise Director to recommend someone.

The twenty dollar bill(s) is exactly what most of us strongly believe you should not be doing. Naming crew members on the feedback form is the best way to personally thank individuals. What is it about the no tipping policy that is so difficult:confused:

I think people who leave tips for individuals do so to make sure they get the credit . If you have a good trip give to the crew fund where all crew members share

Absolutely!!!!!!! Wish there were a way your post could have fireworks attached to it. :D:D:D

The subject of tipping in the face of RSSC's no-tipping policy just keeps coming up, doesn't it? Keep in mind that one reason RSSC (and Seabourn and Silversea) adopted this policy was the fact that these lines carry a larger number of guests for countries other than the US, and in many of these other countries tipping just isn't done. So to protect the financial interests of the crew, these lines elevated their fares to include what would otherwise come from tips and instituted the "tips included" policy.

Wendy, as luck would have it, RSSC already has just such a FAQ on their website! It can be reached by clicking Cruise Questions at the bottom of the homepage of their http://www.rssc.com site, or here is a direct link and quote below.

http://www.rssc.com/cruisequestions/details.aspx?CatId=eb7b8daa-a9ad-4281-8f2a-30b003402c96#bc1ce544-9d64-475f-b257-d38c59d8eb36

Q: Should I tip on board?

A: Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all RSSC vessels. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

Wendy, as luck would have it, RSSC already has just such a FAQ on their website! It can be reached by clicking Cruise Questions at the bottom of the homepage of their www.rssc.com site, or here is a direct link and quote below.

http://www.rssc.com/cruisequestions/details.aspx?CatId=eb7b8daa-a9ad-4281-8f2a-30b003402c96#bc1ce544-9d64-475f-b257-d38c59d8eb36

Q: Should I tip on board?

A: Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all RSSC vessels. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

Thank you for posting this very important information. Hopefully this will be posted whenever the subject comes up!

Yes, thanks Debbie. I knew that, although I had forgotten.

What I really meant was perhaps starting a FAQ here on the CC board. Some of the other boards have such a thing, I think.

But you're right, people should probably just be referred to the "horse's mouth", so to speak.

Here's to all Americans who tip extra if the service was good. I'm one of them.

Life has been good to me as I suspect it has to most Regent PAX. If some guy is cleaning my suite for 7 days, did well, was friendly, it's my PRIVILEGE to pay him.

Those touting the grace of Europeans are the same ones whining about low wages, and how the little guy can't make it in America. Yet they whine when the little guy gets tipped.

Here's to all Americans who tip extra if the service was good. I'm one of them.

Life has been good to me as I suspect it has to most Regent PAX. If some guy is cleaning my suite for 7 days, did well, was friendly, it's my PRIVILEGE to pay him.

Those touting the grace of Europeans are the same ones whining about low wages, and how the little guy can't make it in America. Yet they whine when the little guy gets tipped.

It is really interesting (and questionable) that someone would choose to make a post such as this. Did you really mean to insult Europeans and those of us who show respect for Regent's guidelines? I cannot imagine that this would be your intention.

Growing up in this country is a wonderful experience. We learn much about freedom and assisting other countries in need of our help. Through traveling, however, we hopefully learn that the way people in the U.S. do things is not the ONLY way. Sometimes, it isn't the best way. Yes, we are raised to tip someone who serves us in a restaurant, washes our car, cleans our house, delivers our mail -- the list goes on and on and on. There is nothing inherently wrong with our practice of tipping in this country. Once we leave this country, we are no longer in the United States (obvious, but needs to be said). Hopefully most of us read a little about etiquette in the country(s) we will be visiting so we do not offend anyone.

If we cannot accept the differences in cultures and practices, perhaps we should not be traveling outside of the U.S.:(

If we cannot accept the differences in cultures and practices, perhaps we should not be traveling outside of the U.S.

Those whining about 'Americans' not following "the rules" just cause tehy want to tip are having trouble accepting the differences.....ahem.

If we cannot accept the differences in cultures and practices, perhaps we should not be traveling outside of the U.S.

Those whining about 'Americans' not following "the rules" just cause tehy want to tip are having trouble accepting the differences.....ahem.

The issue is passengers not respecting Regent guidelines -- not Americans. From your signature, I see that you really have not been far outside of the U.S. Perhaps when you do a bit more world travel, you will understand why your comments were hurtful and offensive to many people.

How on earth can anyone ascertain from a "signature" just where they have travelled. FYI, one can also travel to Europe by plane and land trips. As far as tipping in other countries is concerned, many restaurants in Europe (Italy in particular) include tips in their charges. However, the percentage is rather small (by our standards, anyway) and we always choose to leave an additional amount if the service is good.

I see nothing wrong or disrespectful about tipping a little extra for good service on a cruise ship such as RSSC.

I think she meant the person's profile, not their signature. It indicates cruises in the Caribbean and Alaska. But of course you're mostly right. If somebody wants to put something into the crew fund, nothing wrong with that, but usually the question asked on this forum is one posed by someone used to mass market cruises, where (apparently), tipping is ubiquitous. So the point is, I believe, to just set those people straight, and tell them that they don't have to do that. Don't tip your waiter at dinner, don't tip the wait staff serving you drinks, don't tip room service. Etc.

How on earth can anyone ascertain from a "signature" just where they have travelled. FYI, one can also travel to Europe by plane and land trips.

Europe is not the only outside-the-US destination that one can travel to by plane and land trips. In fact, in some of the countries that one can travel to by plane and land trips, tipping is indeed offensive. It was likely a combination of the sig and the poster's comments which clued her into thinking the poster hadn't traveled much outside the areas noted in the sig. For a similar reason, I don't list the cruises I've taken in my sig: because I don't want to give someone the idea that's the only traveling I've done.

As far as tipping in other countries is concerned, many restaurants in Europe (Italy in particular) include tips in their charges. However, the percentage is rather small (by our standards, anyway) and we always choose to leave an additional amount if the service is good.

I learned that it's an entirely different restaurant culture in Europe, and many other countries outside the U.S. for that matter. While in the U.S., wait staff are often paid a minimum wage and get the bulk of their income from tips, in other countries the wait staff are paid normal living wages like the rest of us and therefore don't need tips any more than the rest of us. Why is it, that when I worked as a lawyer, I'd never get tipped beyond my basic fee no matter how good a service I performed? In Europe, giving a voluntarily 15% tip to the waitstaff after a meal is practically as odd as tipping a lawyer.

I see nothing wrong or disrespectful about tipping a little extra for good service on a cruise ship such as RSSC.

In general, there's usually nothing wrong with giving money to people. Most people like money. However, in the context of a no tipping ship, where the crew are better paid and conditioned to not receiving tips, tipping can indeed lead to expectations of more tips. It's also not fair to one cabin steward who might work as hard as another that he or she wasn't the one lucky enough to have a passenger flaunting the no-tip guidelines, which could obviously breed resentment among the crew.

What about tipping flight attendants? I've had great service from flight attendants and they are very much like restaurant/cruise crew in that they hand out drinks and pick up my used food tray. Do you tip them as well? If not, why not? And why can't you apply whatever standards keep you from tipping flight attendants to keep you from tipping on no-tipping cruises?

I think she meant the person's profile, not their signature. It indicates cruises in the Caribbean and Alaska. But of course you're mostly right. If somebody wants to put something into the crew fund, nothing wrong with that, but usually the question asked on this forum is one posed by someone used to mass market cruises, where (apparently), tipping is ubiquitous. So the point is, I believe, to just set those people straight, and tell them that they don't have to do that. Don't tip your waiter at dinner, don't tip the wait staff serving you drinks, don't tip room service. Etc.

Maybe more signs are needed? In addition to the "Take off your hat indoors" signs, how about posting "No tipping, please" in all public rooms? I sure hope it doesn't have to go that far.

Even signs are routinely ignored nowadays. One of my faves is when arriving into U.S. customs at the airport. There's an announcement on the plane that cell phone use is not permitted while waiting in the Customs line. There are signs posted all over inside the terminal banning cell phone use while waiting to clear Customs. Yet at least one in ten passengers is chatting away on their cell phones. Welcome to America :D

I don't think there is any prohibition to tipping on RSSC, other than what is on their web site that it is not done and statements of senior staff that they wish we wouldn't do it. Therein lies the problem, in that RSSC hasn't dropped the "other shoe" by making it a policy to fire any employee who accepts a tip as many all-inclusive resorts have done.

In any event, one case where a tip IS appropriate on RSSC is when a service crew member does something for a guest beyond his/her assigned duties. Once, when our luggage was delayed, our stewardess expedited the washing and cleaning of the clothing we had been wearing. For this I offered her a tip. She declined it.

Many interesting points. Wendy, you're right, I meant "profile" - not signature. "smilingcruiser" and Bearnaise are also correct that people travel all over the world on land cruises. I was making assumptions when I posted (and was a bit upset at the poster's insult to European's). I do stand by my comment that people who can not respect other cultures perhaps should not travel (or, maybe they should travel more -- they will learn something):confused:

I agree completely that tipping a crew member that has done something above and beyond their assigned dutiesis appropriate.

The bottom line for me is simply to remember that I am not in the United States -- my behavior should be appropriate for whatever country (or ship) I am in. If the custom/policy is not to tip, I will not tip. If, as in Thailand, you do not touch a child on the the head or point your foot, I will be conscious of what I am doing in that regard. Making a donation to the crew fund does help the entire crew and is very much appreciated!

If, as in Thailand, you do not touch a child on the the head or point your foot, I will be conscious of what I am doing in that regard. Making a donation to the crew fund does help the entire crew and is very much appreciated!

I wish all foreign customs were as easy to remember as no-tipping. When I checked into a hotel in Bali my first time there, I was so busy trying to remember if it was appropriate or not to tip the bellhop that I ended up handing him the tip with my left hand. That, in the typical Muslim country, is just as bad as handing him used toilet paper as a tip. Of course Bali isn't the typical Muslim country, but a Hindu outpost of a Muslim country, so who knows how the tip was received? In any case, he pocketed it and seemed appreciative enough. I like Regent's style much more: no worry at all about which hand to use.

Archived