Opinions on value vs costs.

hockeyken

I am in the process of planning a 30th anniversary cruise to the Med ( eastern probably) in 2010. The CC cabins on Solstice/Equinox at $2000 PP (brochure prices) for 11 nights seems to be a fair price for the product delivered. But I thought, what about a suite? The next step up is an S2 Sky Suite at $4000 PP. Now please understand, it is not a question of affordability, as I can afford either fare. My question is this.....for 100% more fare ( from $2000 to $4000 PP, and these figures are based on 2009 sailings) I only get 50% more space ( 300 sq.ft vs 200). All other factors remain the same...same ship, same itinerary, same food, same public areas, entertainment etc. Doesn't seem quite right to me. Your opinions please ?:

I am in the process of planning a 30th anniversary cruise to the Med ( eastern probably) in 2010. The CC cabins on Solstice/Equinox at $2000 PP (brochure prices) for 11 nights seems to be a fair price for the product delivered. But I thought, what about a suite? The next step up is an S2 Sky Suite at $4000 PP. Now please understand, it is not a question of affordability, as I can afford either fare. My question is this.....for 100% more fare ( from $2000 to $4000 PP, and these figures are based on 2009 sailings) I only get 50% more space ( 300 sq.ft vs 200). All other factors remain the same...same ship, same itinerary, same food, same public areas, entertainment etc. Doesn't seem quite right to me. Your opinions please ?:

I can't help you much as I have only booked a CC cabin for the reason that in my eyes I can not see the value of the extra cost. I am not into the butler thing so actually that is a con(-) for me. I am willing to pay the extra for a balcony because I can see the value there. I even have a hard time sometimes (depending on the cost) to see any pros(+) for booking a cc cabin vs just a balcony. I believe this is going to be a very personal choice. For a 100% difference I would be thinking "If I booked a CC I could have 2 cruises for the price of a suite" but that is me. I love cruising so much that I compare everything to the price of a cruise.:D

Hi hockeyken :)

This is my take on the situation. Even though the sky suite costs twice as much as a CC class cabin, $4,000 per person for a suite is very reasonable for a Mediterranean Cruise. A sky suite may be only half again as large as a concierge class cabin but the difference in the way the cabin feels is substantial. It is also nice to have a bathroom that is a decent size instead of the tiny ones that non suites have.

If I had to make that decision for myself I would book the sky suite without hesitation.

Hi Ken,

I think it's just a matter of supply and demand. I feel the same way about flying first class vs. economy when it costs $2000+ more to fly first class. It might be affordable, but there doesn't seem to be $2000 worth of value in it if it's only a 7 hour flight. I would have an easier time justifying an extra $200/day over 10 days for an upgrade on a cruise.

seeing that our cabin time is generally between 2 am to 8 am and again between 6 pm to 8 pm, we could do somewhere between 3 and 6 cruises for the same cost. It really all depends on what you want and what you can afford :)

Of course, the drinks and other offerings are what become the great levellers.

Roy

For us, it all depends on the itinerary and number of sea days. On our 5 Mediterranean cruises, we have chosen the largest non-suite balcony categories as the itineraries are so port intensive. On the sea days, we hang out in the spa, fitness centers, attending the cultural enrichment lectures, or lazing around the pool. If we want privacy, we read or sun on the balcony.

On a longer, 14+ day cruise, or itinerary with more than 2 or 3 sea days, the suite might make more sense. Personally, I'd apply the extra buckaroos to spring for business class to get over the pond and back, or for a couple of pre-cruise luxury hotel nights. Those items would have much more value to me.

For us, it all depends on the itinerary and number of sea days. On our 5 Mediterranean cruises, we have chosen the largest non-suite balcony categories as the itineraries are so port intensive. On the sea days, we hang out in the spa, fitness centers, attending the cultural enrichment lectures, or lazing around the pool. If we want privacy, we read or sun on the balcony.

On a longer, 14+ day cruise, or itinerary with more than 2 or 3 sea days, the suite might make more sense. Personally, I'd apply the extra buckaroos to spring for business class to get over the pond and back, or for a couple of pre-cruise luxury hotel nights. Those items would have much more value to me.

Hi Sealover :)

This is slightly off topic but did you see that after winning today's game, Northwestern's football team is 5-0 for the first time since 1962. Your son must be in football heaven :)

It is really just a matter of choice. It does not matter how much time you do or do not spend in your stateroom, it is a matter of what you want to spend YOUR money on. Face it, with an inside stateroom, you are still on the same ship, eat in the same dining room, the same food, same entertainment, etc., etc. BUT I would not go if I could not have a veranda. DH has to think twice before he will go if we cannot get an aft veranda.

So it is YOUR cruise, you should chose the stateroom that will make you enjoy your cruise the most. So my advice, for what it is worth, is take a little time to sit back and really give it some serious thought. If the cost really does not matter think about which stateroom would give you the most pleasure and choose that one. IF it is a matter of "you can spend the money on the stateroom" or "you can spend the money on . . . ." that will probably be an easier choice.

Whichever you choose and whatever you do - have a GREAT CRUISE!!!!!!:D

We've been in most general classes of staterooms, from inside to Royal Suite. There are several factors that influenced us to try a Sky Suite ( our first suite ). We were going to be at sea quite a few times and the weather at that time of the year was amazing and there was a very large overhang so we could regulate how much sun we got. We also opted having breakfast every morning on the balcony (which is an option on a balcony non suite as well). But this balcony was huge with 2 lounge chairs and a table and 2 chairs as well. It was perfect. We take vacations to spend time together, unwind and spend quality time together. I am also a value seeker (ya I am cheap)! The Royal Suite on the Zenith was less $ per week than the Sky Suite on the Century with NO balcony. Was it worth it for a 2 week cruise? Yes it was (at least for us). And that was our 30th Wedding Anniversary as well. Go for it!

FF

The only real difference besides the space is the butler if that is something you would desire. The other answer is simple, "Supply and demand".

we value space so usually travel in a suite, cs or rs, the separate living area and two tv"s are nice to have. especially when there are a lot of sea days like we had last november on our 4 week b2b cruise.

it clearly depends on what you can afford AND are prepared to spend the money on.

if you are the type who never spends any time in the room except to sleep and change clothes, then the extra space may not be that important to you.

E. Medit will be very port intensive- would be a better value if you spent the funds on private tours of your favorite ports When I visit with friends in the big suites I wonder if alot of it is wasted space. I could never see paying double for the same ship myself but our budget is different so we will probaably never get past a Jr Suite. on Royal .

But if it's a suite you want & money is not the issue--go for it..

Hi Sealover :)

This is slightly off topic but did you see that after winning today's game, Northwestern's football team is 5-0 for the first time since 1962. Your son must be in football heaven :)

Yes!! My son lives in Chicago and has season tickets to NU games and is, indeed, in football heaven. We'd love another Rose Bowl fest at our house - you and your daughter and your family are welcome! This year we will have a granddaughter too, expected early December.

Yes!! My son lives in Chicago and has season tickets to NU games and is, indeed, in football heaven. We'd love another Rose Bowl fest at our house - you and your daughter and your family are welcome! This year we will have a granddaughter too, expected early December.

Thank you, Sealover :)

Congratulations on the expected addition to your family. You will love being a grandma :)

I can't help you much as I have only booked a CC cabin for the reason that in my eyes I can not see the value of the extra cost. I am not into the butler thing so actually that is a con(-) for me. I am willing to pay the extra for a balcony because I can see the value there. I even have a hard time sometimes (depending on the cost) to see any pros(+) for booking a cc cabin vs just a balcony. I believe this is going to be a very personal choice. For a 100% difference I would be thinking "If I booked a CC I could have 2 cruises for the price of a suite" but that is me. I love cruising so much that I compare everything to the price of a cruise.:D

I agree, but again it's all about personal choice.

B2B I like that idea. Thanks to everyone for your input. We will have first class airfare across the pond courtesy of Air Canada ( FF). I am leaning toward the CC class because of the port intensive aspect. I am late replying and thanking eveyone as I was away on a fishing trip.

Cheers:D

On our last two cruises we booked a CC Cabin and later upgraded when

they lowered the ridiculously high prices for the Sky Suites!

Celebrity seems to do this regularly, right after you make the final payment.

At this time ppeople back out of the cruise for various reasons. The extra space is nice including the little extra space on the balcony. In a port intensive cruise one plus is that you can get a full breakfast in your cabin.

In CC, we received set menu items, much less that what we wanted.

The Sky Suites are not what I would call suites, they are just larger staterooms with a nice size seating area and a bathtub. You don't have a separate bedroon and you don't have a bar so you can't really hold in-room cocktail parties any easier than you can in a CC room. For $500 more, its worth the difference when they lower the price closer to your sailing.

Bugeye:

Good point ! I will definitely keep an eye on this possibility. However, if it doesn't happen, oh well......I am a go-with-the-flow person. How can being on a Med cruise in ANY cabin be a problem? Besides, my martini/cocktail/wine with lunch/wine with dinner/wine with breakfast fund is in good shape and I foresee only fine times.

Ken

Archived