Renaissance FLL & rennovations

Solara

Does anyone know how far along the Renaissance is in their rennovations. I understand the bar is done & they are working on the restaurant & the lobby. I don't want to stay their if it looks like a construction zone. We will be their in 2 1/2 weeks.

Also how much closer is the Renaissance to shopping versus the Fort Lauderdale Grande.

Our other choice is Hyatt Place but I do like to as least have a bar & restaurant on site if possible.

Any opinions

It's closer than the Grande.....

they should be done....BTW the lounge was nice...great drinks and decent light food...the restaurant was horrible...service, food, etc. There are PLENTY of better, less pricey places within a 2 minute walk!

the photos on Marriott.com have not been updated, BUT they are no longer saying that they are renovating...and when you go to book, and click on room details, it says rooms last renovated in 2008.....

check trip advisor...maybe a traveler has posted current photos..

if you are high enough and on the east side, you MAY be able to see some ships in the distance....

not a bad hotel....i've been in better and worse...i stay in Marriott brands all the time...i would try it again since they redid the place but i won;t eat there...i had too many issues on my stays there last year!

Just wondering if you have seen the rennovations at the Renaissance & how they are coming along. If we stay there it will be starting on the 18th for 3 nights?

Check out Trip Advisor site. There are many reviews there since its renovations.

Check out Trip Advisor site. There are many reviews there since its renovations.
I have read the reviews, but the renovations are still not complete & I was just wondering if anyone had been there in the last couple of weeks to tell me what it looks like.

you may have to take one for the team Solara.....

marriott has removed (as far as i can see) ALL notations about renovations from their website.....they still have old photos though.

if you get there, and they are renovating, and there is STILL no notation thereof on marriott.com, them you have a legitimate gripe with marriott.....(been there, done that, caught another hotel or 2 red-handed when they did NOT notify guests...and let's say that within 24 hours, info to that effect-hotel under renovations-was posted!!!)

i'm sure it will be fine.....short of waiting for a report, call the hotel and ask if they are done....

megr1125,

I did call the hotel and they said the guest rooms are all done except for one floor, no problem with that.

They said the bar is done but not the restaurant so they moved all the tables from the restaurant into the bar. Also they are still finishing part of the lobby. I still have 2 other reservations one at Ft. Lauderdale Grande & the other at Hyatt Place. Any suggestions what you would do? We will be there for 3 nights.

OK...I wouldn't eat there anyway..maybe a drink in the bar. The lobby isn't that big.....

As long as you are a couple floors away from the one they are doing it's ok.

What are the rates?? are they close????? I am a platinum premier with marriott so my 1st choice is one of their brands. all things being equal.....let me think a sec....if the rate was real good, i would stay at the Ren. BUT....it seems as if the rates aren't THAT wonderful IIRC for your dates.....actually they are lousy! I it was like 89 or 99 bucks, it's worth it...not sure what you got, but the AAA rate is 149. That's still too much, IMO for a place that is NOT done.....Hmmm.

For that kind of money, i would go to the Courtyard Ft Lauderdale beach. still near stuff, but you can hop the sun trolley too.

the HP is full so i can't see what the rates are...BUT if it is LESS than the Ren...the HP is DONE and the rooms look just like they do on line (the whole hotel does)

The FT L grande is also DONE with their redo. Used to be the Marriott Marina..they REALLY ripped it apart....it was a MESS last summer (2007) when i was there....and i have heard good things about it! They have some decent rates....and you'd probably get a chance to get a room where you could see something--of course, maybe not....the better rooms have higher rates.

If you want more of a resorty feel i woud say the grande....if you just want to hang out and probably save money (and at least you get breakfast...and stuff is really close..like walkable easily as opposed to less easily at the grande) then the HP.

again.....if the ren had a really great rate, it would be ok....but IMO it is not THAT great a place to warrant rates of 149 at the end of a redo. the rooms are a little smallish, and SOME of the staff can be attitudinal! (including the GM!) also the waitstaff in the restaurant, save for 1 person, would have been fired if i were their boss....(honestly, they were rude, lazy and inattentive-even when THEIR boss was around!)

Michel the bartender there, tough is TERRIFIC (if she is still there)

sorry that was an encyclopedia, but i wanted to make sure you had your facts!

What are the rates?? are they close????? I am a platinum premier with marriott so my 1st choice is one of their brands. all things being equal.....let me think a sec....if the rate was real good, i would stay at the Ren. BUT....it seems as if the rates aren't THAT wonderful IIRC for your dates.....actually they are lousy! I it was like 89 or 99 bucks, it's worth it...not sure what you got, but the AAA rate is 149. That's still too much, IMO for a place that is NOT done.....Hmmm.

again.....if the ren had a really great rate, it would be ok....but IMO it is not THAT great a place to warrant rates of 149 at the end of a redo.

The Renaissance is going for $75 to $80 on Priceline.

THAT would be a deal.....the rate shouldn't be as high as it is....

I can't use PL as i would not be able to earn poins or nights towards my membership-although i have heard that some people do....some PLers also get upgrades....don't get me started on that! I cashed in like $5000 worth of points for 2 free nights at the Courtyard Beachfront...they wanted to give me a room overlooking 7-11...yet the PLer who got it for 80 bucks...with NO marriott status, was getting upgraded to an oceanfront room.. let's say one well placed call to the customer care line took care of it for me!

megr 1125

Thanks for your opinion.

Here's the rates I have.

Hyatt Place $99.00 ( I do like a bar & there is none there)

Renaissance $119.00

Ft. Lauderdale Grande $122.00 (Farther away)

Does that change your opinion?

megr 1125

Thanks for your opinion.

Here's the rates I have.

Hyatt Place $99.00 ( I do like a bar & there is none there)

Renaissance $119.00

Ft. Lauderdale Grande $122.00 (Farther away)

Does that change your opinion?

dang..those are decent.....

OK....i will forget that i am a big marriott stayer.

for 3 bucks, i would take the one that's done!!!! See at least at the HP you get breakfast...BUT there is an Einstein bagels, and a starbucks pretty much NEXT to the ren-also, there is a deli in the next shopping center over. (NOT the one right across the parking lot...it's like the next couple driveways down. it has 2 letters like J & M or something.....the food looked good!)

THe Grande is probably a nicer property than the ren.....(see if i was at the ren, i would get breakfast free either in the concierge lounge or the restaurant!:D )

OK...for 122, all things considered...i would do the Grande...(again, taking my marriott status OUT!!!) the place looks gorgeous!

you CAN go flag down the sun trolley and go eat breakfast too! or walk!

http://www.suntrolley.com

as for knowing what you get on PL or Hotwire...you CAN narrow it down by doing research on betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com. both sites list likely hotels to win, and the amenities offered, etc. On Hotwire, in the Las Olas/Port everglades zone..there is ONE four star hotel and that is the renaissance......)

It's closer than the Grande.....

Why do you say its closer than the Grande. I thought the Grande renovations were completed early in 2008.

i have no idea what you are talking about......or where you quoted that from..

the renaissance is closer to "stuff" than the grande (save for the water taxi).......just a couple blocks less of a walk...THAT is what i meant...but i wrote that last night, late, i was tired and now it's another day....

megr1125

I called the Renaissance today and talked to the person in charge of hotel rennovations. He said all the rooms are finished. The bar is done & beautiful & has 6 large screen tv's. The restaurant won't be open until after we stayed there & the lobby is still waiting for the new furniture. He said if you walked into the hotel you would not be able to tell that the rennovations are not 100% complete. This is the first cruise I've ever gone 3 days early, usually I don't care where I stay , but being there for 3 nights is a long time if you are not happy. As you can see I still haven't made my decision. Not one of the 3 places stands out to me over the other.:eek:

megr1125

I called the Renaissance today and talked to the person in charge of hotel rennovations. He said all the rooms are finished. The bar is done & beautiful & has 6 large screen tv's. The restaurant won't be open until after we stayed there & the lobby is still waiting for the new furniture. He said if you walked into the hotel you would not be able to tell that the rennovations are not 100% complete. This is the first cruise I've ever gone 3 days early, usually I don't care where I stay , but being there for 3 nights is a long time if you are not happy. As you can see I still haven't made my decision. Not one of the 3 places stands out to me over the other.:eek:

Hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. well....have a great trip whatever you decide...regardless, if you can, take some pix and post them someplace that would be cool......i'd love to see what the ren looks like.......

you said you wanted a bar, so that rules out the HP..well actually it doesn't, you CAN get a drink...at least wine and beer......

i'd stick with a full service place.......

megr1125

The problem is that we are staying 3 days pre-cruise which we have never done before. I want to be happy. I'm leaning toward the Renaissance but still not sure. The HP doesn't have their liquor liscense so they don't even have wine & beer. I do like someplace to sit a night other than my room Decisions.....decisions...I'll let you know what I decide & post pics. Thanks again for all you help....

Hi:)

I was just reading your thread and thought I would put in another

suggestion(hope its ok).

There is Embassy Suites which is on 17th Street too.

They have full service bar (which I see is important to you;) )

Just throwing it out there for you. It is pricier so not sure

how much that will affect your decision but it is another

option.

Good luck with whatever you choose and have a wonderful

cruise too:)

silly HP!!!

Hmmmm.....well..good luck, have fun and glad to be of some assistance...(for 3 days, i think i'd do the Grande.....)

I think I'll probably do the Renaissance since they have normal bar food & the Grande has weird bar food. Also I'm not that much of a pool person, I know the Grande has a better pool. I'll let you know afterwards what I think since I'll still check them all out for the future. Thanks again.

I think I'll probably do the Renaissance since they have normal bar food & the Grande has weird bar food. Also I'm not that much of a pool person, I know the Grande has a better pool. I'll let you know afterwards what I think since I'll still check them all out for the future. Thanks again.

Please do let us know how it is--- we are staying there in January! Thanks, Marge

not sure what the Ren did with their pool area, if nything, but they had some comfy furniture.....

and if michele the bartender is there, she's great....she makes like 100 or more martinis and has won competitions.

• 1 month later...

We liked very much staying at the Renaissance. The location was great for us. Lots of restaurants close in the Quay shopping center that we liked and ate at & it's across the street from Walgreens. We did check out the Grande & it's very nice but I liked the set up better at the Renaissance and it's location.

For us the rennovations were not completely done downstairs & the bar had couches from the lobby for 2 nights & the last night they just had tables from the restaurant, so I would like to see it when they get the more comfortable bar furniture in shortly. When the restaurant is done it looks very nice too. I'd for sure stay at the Renaissance next time we are in Fort Lauderdale.

Archived