price reductions and when to book air deviation

suec12

We have made a reservation for a the May 24th cruise out of Istanbul. It is our first cruise with Oceania so I am still figuring out the little ins and outs of this line. Do you think we can hope for a price reduction or perhaps the removal of fuel surcharges? and is Oceania quick to give a credit if this happens (like Celebrity!)

Also I have been checking air prices and so far the included air is a pretty decent price but I think we will want to do the air deviation and fly into Istanbul a few days ahead of time. Those of you that have done this in the past, do you have any suggestions as to the timing. I know what flights I would like but of course I am hoping not to have to pay extra - do I have a better chance to get these (for no extra) booking as soon as possible?

Unlike other cruise lines Oceania does not discount their prices closer to sailing.

You can book deviations 270 days out you can read more on deviations if you do a search in the forum

Sometimes you can get your own air cheaper...find out what the air credit is from O then you can decide

Lyn

Suec 12-

We pick our "Dream Flights" for the vacation, find out what it will cost us to book them independantly, and then pass those flights by the Oceania Air Deviation Desk.

You dont pay ANY deviation fee unless you USE the deviation, so, finding out how much O will charge for your flights is free.

The rule of thumb is: if O can get you there cheaper on other flights, you pay the difference in cost. That said, there is some leeway built into that formula.

What do you have to lose? If you can do it for less, outside O, take the credit and book it on your own.

Incidentally, Istanbul is more fantastic than you can imagine. If you'll take our advice, you'll allow at least three full days there.

Have a fantastic trip!

I concur with StanandJim. We just returned a week ago from Nautica's September 5 cruise Istanbul to Athens, our first cruise ever, and flew in for three nights in a hotel before we boarded. Istanbul is so fantastic that even with a fourth day there (the day after we boarded, but the day we sailed), we barely got through our list of sights which we wanted to visit. I highly recommend you get Rick Steves' Istanbul guidebook, just revised last spring, for your sightseeing there. Very practical, includeds lovely walks, and takes you step by step through the top sites.

Note that most Istanbul hotels provide a free transfer from the airport to the hotel if you stay three nights. Our lovely hotel, the Sirkeci Konak, in the Old District, near the park by Topkapi Palace, also provided one free dinner and a 7% discount for cash when booked directly through their website.

Have a great trip! Ours was lovely.

Cordially,

Pam

BTW, we saved about $500 arranging our own airfare rather than going with Oceania's arrangements.

Hello CintiPam - are you going to post a trip report? I have alot of questions I would like to ask you, esp. about what you did in the different ports. Also you saved $500 per person from the Oceania airfare? WOW! Right now the Oceania fare is about $1350 - on Delta (our airline of choice) it is running around $1800!

We are Rick Steve's fans as well - I have already looked at his Istanbul guide book and just wish we could go even earlier. My travel companion can only fly in two nights ahead of time - guess we will hit the highlights and hope to go again.

Hope to get more info from you to help us maximze our time in the ports - do you want to exchange emails? Mine is SueC1@aol.com or let me know you are posting a trip report, then I will save my questions until after I read it. Thanks! Sue

Hopefully I will post a trip report, but here in Cincinnati there was a windstorm (no rain) from Hurricane Ike while we were gone, and we lost about 1/3 of our roof in the back, and between that and other storm damage, and the holidays now, I have not yet written it! So I am happy to answer any questions to my email at psmeyers@fuse.net.

BTW, the $500 saved was for two airfares total, not each one. We flew from Cincinnati to Philadelphia, then overnight to Frankfurt, then on to Istanbul. Coming back, we flew Athens to Philadelphia and then back to Cincinnati. I have had terrible experiences my last few times flying through the NYC airports - delays, cancelled flights, lost luggage each way (Delta owns Cincinnati, about 95% of the flights, and treats us abysmally) so our main goal was to get overseas without flying through Newark or JFK. We flew US Air, and all connections were excellent, and the seats were more comfortable (better padded) than Delta, although the in-flight entertainment was practically non-existent. (I am a reader so that didn't matter.)

My husband decided to book this trip last minute after we got Oceania's brochure for 2009 in the mail at the end of May, so we did the whole airfare thing very fast, booking late May for our September 5 cruise and lucky to get a cabin. (We were wait-listed for several categories for a week, then guaranteed an E, our lowest request, and never got off the wait list for the higher grades.) We originally were thinking of next May as well, as the weather is probably best then, but decided not to wait.

We did the Istanbul to Athens August 20th. Wonderful trip. Re your air, we did our own air but only because we did Business Class and got it for less than O. ONE suggestion--whatever you do, avoid Charles de Gaulle in Paris, or if you do change planes there, make sure you have ample time. It is a huge nightmare.

While in Istanbul, have dinner at the Galata Tower. We had some friends who had been there before and were with us on this trip. It was great, and the view of Istanbul was fabulous. Don't go into sticker shock when you see the prices.

Anyway, great trip.

Archived