Do you need a passport to sail to the Bahamas?

None of the Caribbean countries require a passport for cruise passengers. This is strictly a United States thing. (Thank-you, government!) It's supposed to make you feel more "secure"-- do you feel more secure?????

Even if you have to fly home from one of these countries, there are procedures in place to let you back into your own country. You don't need a passport at this time.

Just back from Sovereign yesterday...my sister does not have a passport & had no problem boarding or going thru immigration on the return...but I still hold my breath everytime she cruises with me, worried that "someone" is going to question her birth certificate... sailing with a passport is just soooo much smoother...

Here is from the US web site:

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

I believe you've stated this in other threads and I've asked what 'procedures'. Because according to the US Gov't, if you are stuck in another country and need to fly back home, you need to apply for an emergency passport at the local US Embassy and have it processed and use it to get home - quite a bit of time and expense - especially on a weekend or holiday. There have been numerous reports of stranded pax having no other choice other than to do exactly that. The duty officer on call *can* request that they allow you on a plane if s/he determines it's life or death - and missing a ship is not considered life or death.

None of the Caribbean countries require a passport for cruise passengers. This is strictly a United States thing. (Thank-you, government!) It's supposed to make you feel more "secure"-- do you feel more secure?????

Even if you have to fly home from one of these countries, there are procedures in place to let you back into your own country. You don't need a passport at this time.

Here is from the US web site:

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

It should be noted that for Closed Loop cruises, a certified Birth Certificate with Government ID are WHTI compliant documents.

You cannot get on an airplane destined for the USA without a passport. The airline must provide a manifest of all passengers and their passport info to the USA hours before the airliner is permitted to enter USA airspace. If the government decides that someone on board is not permitted in the USA, the airplane will be denied entry. This has happened to at least one flight from Europe where the airliner already in the air was forced to land in Canada.

This all came about because of 9/11 when everyone was demanding that the government protect us from terrorists. Be careful what you wish for!

It should be noted that for Closed Loop cruises, a certified Birth Certificate with Government ID are WHTI compliant documents.

The government ID has to be a new type of drivers license that so far no state has issued. Washington and perhaps one other state is considering switching to the new format but have not done so yet.

The government ID has to be a new type of drivers license that so far no state has issued. Washington and perhaps one other state is considering switching to the new format but have not done so yet.

A driver's license and a state certified birth certificate are all you need right now to cruise the Caribbean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satxdiver viewpost.gif

A driver's license and a state certified birth certificate are all you need right now to cruise the Caribbean.

Not after June 1, 2009.

hasnt this requirement been pushed back a number of times...any reason to think it wont be again?

They pushed it back because of delays in getting passports out and other problems. Those have all been solved now. Passports are going out in a few weeks. This time they are most likely not going to delay it any further.

I have a related question regarding passports. My TA told me that since San Juan and St. Thomas are U.S. terrirories, if there was an emergency and you had to get home, you could fly from those ports without a passport. Do any of the TA's on this board know if that is true?? :confused:

I know everyone is well-meaning and trying to help... However...

Most posts in this thread have stated some sort of incorrect information!

If you are choosing to cruise without a passport (which of course, is always the very best travel ID document...) please read my pages on the WHTI:

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative - What it means for cruising

It's an important decision, please make sure you are using facts as you make it.

Theron

It might be all thats needed to cruise the Caribbean at this point in time. But its you need a passport if an emergency arises and you need to fly back home. Whats all the hassle about getting a passport? Yes, they cost a few $$, but they are good for 10 yrs.And come next year you wont be able to go anywhere out of the US without one.

I have a related question regarding passports. My TA told me that since San Juan and St. Thomas are U.S. terrirories, if there was an emergency and you had to get home, you could fly from those ports without a passport. Do any of the TA's on this board know if that is true?? :confused:
I'm not a TA, but from the US State Dept at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

"Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. "

None of the Caribbean countries require a passport for cruise passengers. This is strictly a United States thing...
While this is generally true of most of the commonly visited Caribbean island countries, there are quite a number of Caribbean countries that do require a passport of US citizens [eg Cuba, Columbia, Venzuala, Trinidad & Tobago and a number of others].

It is so simple to get a passport or a passport card I suggest you get one and stop the worrying.:D

If the rules change again and they probably will, a passport is all you need (except visas for some countries) to travel anywhere.

Cheers

Please be aware that the passport card is not interchangeable with a regular passport. It won't let you fly. It was designed to meet the needs of folks who live near the Mexican and Canadian borders who drive across frequently. Due to the passport exception for most US Citizen cruise ship passengers, the card will probably work for them, although a passport is not required in those cases.

And... the rules will probably not change again, certainly not soon. It took the government eight years to get these final rules in place (the WHTI final rules, scheduled for implementation June 1, 2009). It is unlikely that any changes will be coming along for a very long time.

Theron

It might be all thats needed to cruise the Caribbean at this point in time. But its you need a passport if an emergency arises and you need to fly back home. Whats all the hassle about getting a passport? Yes, they cost a few $$, but they are good for 10 yrs.And come next year you wont be able to go anywhere out of the US without one.

Yes, just get the passports. The boards are filled with threads of concern and hassle (just read a new one where a would be passenger was denied boarding because he tried to use a hospital issued BC and was very disturbed that RCI would not let him embark), when no such issue exists when you have a passport. I'm not concerned with what other countries do or do not require, I live in the US and carry a US passport and have done so for nearly 20 years and we got one for DS when he was 10 years old and his cruising has been a breeze ever since then, no bewildered agents trying to figure out where the relevant info is on a georgia-issued BC, just an official passport like every one else. IF the deadlines keep getting pushed back, that just helps you get through the processing quicker NOW.

I don't understand why we get all of these passport questions. Why not just get a passport? It is such a simple process. It took less than 10 days to get my new one last November.

It will be easier when the new rules go into effect. If you leave the country you'll need a passport.

Everybody knows that a passport is the best travel ID document. That is not in question.

The very real issue is cost and value of return on investment.

There are two very simple facts:

1. The US Government has provided laws, rules and regulations that allow US Citizens to not present a passport to cruise, in most cases.

2. There will always be people whose financial situation causes them to cut unnecessary expenses.

In some cases and for some people, a passport is a luxury item. It is definitely better to have, but it is simply not a requirement. If I had to choose between cruising with a BC/DL and not cruising at all, what do you think I would choose? What would you choose? Realistically?

There are cruises that are very expensive, and a passport is a drop in the bucket. A quick look just now found a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas for $99, and several 3 or 4 day cruises to the Bahamas for under $200. For someone of limited means, who is just trying out "this cruise thing" for the first time, and who may never leave the country again, it is just plain silly to spend almost as much as their cruise fare on a passport!

It's really that simple.

Theron

I understand people may have limited means and I honestly did not know that one cold cruise the Bahamas for $99. But I wouldn't say the passport is silly, regardless of the cruise price. For most US residents tt is our only form of national identification. Most of us Caribbean cruisers haven't really needed them, but in an emergency situatiuon it is an invaluable document.

Archived