P&O will refund deposits 181 days prior to departure

gizzigoo

This is quite a big turn around, I also like the fact that up to 121 days out you can change from one cruise to another

Carnival Australia snr vp Jenny Lourey has announced changes to P&O Cruises Australia’s terms and conditions that come into effect this week to coincide with the release of a 2010 brochure for resident ships Pacific Dawn and Pacific Sun.

In a statement issued today, Lourey said the overhaul of the company’s terms and conditions follows ‘extensive research with past passengers and travel agents’ and has been designed ‘to make doing business with the cruise line easier than ever before.’

The requirement for passengers to fill in forms that agents had to send on to the company to confirm their bookings has been abolished.

Passengers who cancel more than 181 days before departure will receive full refunds and deposits will be based on the length of the voyage, starting from A$200 (US$159).

In what Lourey says is a first for P&O Cruises Australia, passengers may change their travel plans from one cruise to another up to 121 days from the departure of the ship they originally booked without charge.

Lourey also announced that, as part of a ‘family-focused policy,’ children may now occupy separate cabins to their parents and guardians, providing they are sharing with someone who is 16 or older.

Does that mean they read these forums and have now grasped its better for business to offer a better service instead of having a monopoly mentality!

Now to book the next cruise in advance:) Funny i only asked a question about booking in advance a week or so ago and now they are going to do the same as the parent company!:D

Now to find the cruise to suit, we all talked about it and 25-35 days seems the perfect length, i only wish i could afford the 104 world tour cruise as it seems sensational but you could triple the ticket price in spending it would cost an average house price for the us,the four kids and mother!

Come on Lotto numbers!

That's great news! I'm looking at booking for August next year. We need a four berth for me, DH and kids, and a single for Mum. She wanted to wait to see if they offered a cheap T class twin fare (and drag one of my sisters along), which would be cheaper than a single, but I didn't want to wait too long in case the kids spots filled. Now we can book as soon as the prices drop a bit, and she can wait until well into next year! If it doesn't work out for this cruise, we can transfer our booking to another one! This is going to make forward planning so much easier! :D:D:D

YES!!!! Finally they have realised that their policy was crap.

Not sure that is the motive.

Having non Carnival ships in our market that have better policies has pushed their hand.

Is good news, 180 days is still double the rest of the world, but a step in the right direction.

Sounds great! One thing I did read between the lines though is that they may increase the minimum deposit for longer cruises. It's always been a flat $200 per person, but the comment "deposits will be based on the length of the voyage, starting from A$200" says to me that we'll be forking out more for the long cruises. In saying that though, we were required to pay $350 per person for our Princess cruise, so P&O are probably just "keeping up with the Jones's" so to speak.

Sounds great! One thing I did read between the lines though is that they may increase the minimum deposit for longer cruises. It's always been a flat $200 per person, but the comment "deposits will be based on the length of the voyage, starting from A$200" says to me that we'll be forking out more for the long cruises. In saying that though, we were required to pay $350 per person for our Princess cruise, so P&O are probably just "keeping up with the Jones's" so to speak.

Jo, depends which booking agent you use as to how much the deposit is. We paid $500 deposit each:eek: for the same Dawn Princess cruise as you, and paid $600 per person for the 28 day Tahiti cruise direct with P&O. I think P&O have always charged more deposit for the longer cruises.........although I have only done one:p :p

Chez

xx

P&O's longer cruises are already more than $200pp.

(ie Tahitian Treasures is $600 per adult)

PS - Sorry, should have refreshed to read Chez's post and saved some digital ink!!

I've never cruised for longer than 12 nights so i've only ever paid $200 deposit.

Thought it was a bit rough that i've paid almost double that for Princess for only 10 nights though.

Whatever. I'm still cruising and it's all good.

I read the policy..but the T/A generally adds a $100 or so to the Carnival Deposit, you will get the Carnival Deposit back but perhaps not the T/A deposit for doing the work on the booking.

We lost $200 (for two) when we cancelled our Sun Princess Asian cruise for next year, we got the Princess deposit of $400 (for two) back though, that was the T/A out west in Perth..you know the one that got the awards. I am not with them anymore.

:mad:

I've never cruised for longer than 12 nights so i've only ever paid $200 deposit.

Thought it was a bit rough that i've paid almost double that for Princess for only 10 nights though.

We booked 15 months in advance for SUN PRINCESS 35 night Hawaiian Discovery(local TA)- the deposit was $1100 NON REFUNDABLE per person. A long time for them to be holding that amount :rolleyes:

Wonder if the new rules will apply to Sun and Dawn Princess :confused:

B E V

We booked 15 months in advance for SUN PRINCESS 35 night Hawaiian Discovery(local TA)- the deposit was $1100 NON REFUNDABLE per person. A long time for them to be holding that amount :rolleyes:

Wonder if the new rules will apply to Sun and Dawn Princess :confused:

B E V

Interesting question Bev,

This is very much a P&O Oz annoncement, but was made by a Carnival Australia spokesperson. Carnival Australia controls all Australian bookings for it's brands - P&O, Princess, Cunard, HAL, Carnival - so I would hope this is for all.

I am sure it will only apply for new cruise releases though, so will not apply to any current booking through Carnival Australia.

Hard to believe the praise generated, when most overseas bookings allow cancellation with full refund of deposit up to 70 days prior to sailing. Royal Caribbean is the only large cruise line that is not constrained in our market by Carnival Australia. They offer the same as their worldwide policy - full refund up to 70 days.

I booked end of July for September 2009 cruise and had to pay $250 pp (including children) deposit. :( Doesn't worry me as it means I have less to pay off.

Given I need to holiday during school holidays and that the ships only take x amount of children I need to book way in advance, so am glad to see the change in policy, especially given the current global economic environment.

I see they are also "launching" themed sampler cruises and 2 to 3 nights.

Australia’s favourite cruise company, P&O Cruises, has announced the introduction of themed sampler cruises – relaxing gourmet voyages offering wine tasting, coffee appreciation and cooking classes with signature chefs.

The new two and three-night sampler cruises spearhead P&O Cruises’ latest Pacific Dawn and Pacific Sun 2010 brochure, which features 24 new cruises across the fleet and stunning savings of up to 50 per cent.

Departing from both Sydney and Brisbane and priced from just $448* for two nights and $657* for three nights, the sampler cruises cater to holidaymakers who are eager to dip into cruising for the first time, as well as those simply looking for the ultimate weekend escape.

Definitly trying to get away from the party ship cruising to nowhere. I figure a weekend away on land costs the same so if you can do some cooking, wine tasting all at sea then why not, sounds good to me.

now where is my crystal ball for the winning powerball numbers. LOL:confused:

I know it's not much longer but we only paid $200 for our 17 nighter. Our T/A doesn't add anything on either at the moment.

Karmac, you must have a good, friendly T/A..no extra deposit over cruise co.deposit. Bet your T/A is not one of the big on line ones.

But I can understand the T/A's putting on a $100 booking fee, they do a bit of work.

But I can understand the T/A's putting on a $100 booking fee, they do a bit of work.

Les,

The large main street T/A we have used charges $55. I figure that is a good match for the time spent with our booking, especially since the Aussie system makes it diificult to cancel - as good as locking their commission in from the day of booking.

Karmac, you must have a good, friendly T/A..no extra deposit over cruise co.deposit. Bet your T/A is not one of the big on line ones.

No, definately not. A small chain that has an office at our local shopping centre:) and all 3 cruises we've only paid the $200 deposit.

Miss Jolly, I was referring to Princess cruises, you will only generally get the $200 deposit if you have the Future Cruise Sales letter from your previous Princess cruise. Unless as Karmac and Geoff Arxcards have indicated..the T/A does not hit you for a big deposit, which as you say Geoff is 'locked in commission.'

:cool:

Whatever. I'm still cruising and it's all good.

Our 16 nighter was only $200pp through P&O

Archived