Can you drop off your luggage?

martyz

Can you drop off your luggage in your cabin, then go to lunch before the OK to go to your cabins. Would that be a good time to tip extra if you are permitted to drop it off?

Some people here claim to have dropped off luggage before the cabins are cleared for occupancy. Before the cabins are cleared, the stewards are working and the doors are generally open. If you want to try this, realize the risk you are taking. There is typically an area that you can stow your luggage before the cabins are open.

"When embarkation commences, our previous sailing guests will have just disembarked and we will still be in the process of preparing the vessel for your cruise. We anticipate that your stateroom will be ready at approximately 1:00 p.m. Therefore, we kindly ask you not to visit your stateroom until an announcement that the staterooms are ready has been made via the Public Address system. For security reasons, the loading of luggage, which you checked in at the terminal, will not commence until 1:00 p.m. Your luggage will arrive in your stateroom later in the afternoon, via your cabin steward."

----------------

Bill

Ancient Mariner

A few years ago HAL started letting passengers stay in their cabins until they were to disembark. At the same time, they started early embarkation for new passengers. Both moves were cheered by HAL passnegers as making it so much easier at both ends of the cruise. :)

All they ask in return is that we stay away from our cabins until they are ready---and they even give us the approximate time, to make our planning easier.

If one person can "just drop off" in their cabin, then everyone can. Pretty soon the stewards can't do their jobs properly and HAL has to go back to the old ways. The ways of clearing out of the cabin at way too early, and waiting in a lounge, while boarding passengers wait in the terminal until 2:00 PM. :(

I hope it never goes back to that.

I think I saw something on this Board in the last week or so about being able to drop off your carry-on in the Neptune Lounge. But then again, I'm starting to get excited about our upcoming cruise, and may have dreamed it. Is that another Neptune Lounge advantage?

I think I saw something on this Board in the last week or so about being able to drop off your carry-on in the Neptune Lounge. But then again, I'm starting to get excited about our upcoming cruise, and may have dreamed it. Is that another Neptune Lounge advantage?

Those who live in the high-rent district of penthouse and full suites (S, or SA, SB, SC) have access to the Neptune Lounge. The folks there will hold carry-ons for their passengers until the suites are ready.

I'm so glad that HAL does it the way that they do. I did not enjoy disembarkation on Princess...having to vacate the stateroom and wait in a lounge until we're called. While I did like being able to go directly to the stateroom upon embarkation on Princess, I would much rather have the extra time in the stateroom before leaving the way HAL does it.

HAL just seems to do it right all around...and I hope they do not go to "the other way". Waiting in a lounge for a little while is just a slight inconvenience...and how can I even call it that...heck I'm on a ship and that beats time on land anytime!!

Those who live in the high-rent district of penthouse and full suites (S, or SA, SB, SC) have access to the Neptune Lounge. The folks there will hold carry-ons for their passengers until the suites are ready.

I don't mean to argue with you Ruth but the last couple of times we have boarded, we could not even get to the Navigaton deck on the "S" class ship. They have all rooms blocked off. So being in the high-rent district hasn't been working for us.

Now, what they have been doing is on the Lido deck towards the rear--directly across from the hamberger bar cruise staff have an area roped off where you can drop off your carry-on's with ship personal giving you a ticket for your bags which you can pick up later. It's really seem to be working out fairly well.

Though like I said this is on the "S" class ships, don't know about the "Vista's"

Thanks for saying so, Melodie; I don't have personal experience in the high rent district. I was reporting what I've read on this board so many times---suite passengers can go to the Neptune when they board. Perhaps your cruise was one of once in a while exceptions?

I've stashed my carry-ons on the Lido, or some other appointed place, many times. But there have been a couple of cruises where there was no secure area set up. :(

I hope that HAL continues with this little amenity. It's so very helpful to a solo passenger when she can free her hands for the buffet tray. :D

Thanks for saying so, Melodie; I don't have personal experience in the high rent district. I was reporting what I've read on this board so many times---suite passengers can go to the Neptune when they board. Perhaps your cruise was one of once in a while exceptions?

I've stashed my carry-ons on the Lido, or some other appointed place, many times. But there have been a couple of cruises where there was no secure area set up. :(

I hope that HAL continues with this little amenity. It's so very helpful to a solo passenger when she can free her hands for the buffet tray. :D

Your correct about reading if you were in a Suite you could drop off carry-on's in the Neptune Lounge but on our last two cruise this year, seems things have changed, at least on the Ryndam and Statendam.:( We also like the fact that we could drop off at a secure centeral point on the Lido deck our carry-on's, think it a nice touch, being the Neptune was off limits apparently.:D

Why would anybody be schlepping around luggage? A carry on yes, but lugggage? I guess I'll just drag my "Luggage" around with me (watch your ankles)

100-wood-dome-3quarters.jpg

Hey, give me back my trunk! Seriously, I do have one that looks like a twin to this one. I do NOT travel with it however:eek:

Being Suite guests and seeing as we often do back-to-backs, I can say you are BOTH right, Ruth and Melodie.

There are times the Fire Doors are closed at the hallway and there are times it is open. When we are back-to-backs, we come and go from our cabin. Never had a problem.

We have always been permitted to go to Neptune Lounge immediately upon boarding and we are very often among the very first aboard..... :o (We get there early. Especially if it is MAASDAM. :) )

If we want to go to Neptune, we tell the steward directing people at the elevator we wish to go to Neptune Lounge and he has never said "No". Most of the time, however, we don't wish to go there anyway.

You definitely can not drop off your luggage in you cqabin until the announcement is made that the cabins are ready.

That is one reason people should check luggage... but it is also a HAL "negative" for us that you still have to schlep around carry-on when it would be easy to drop it off in the cabin just to get rid of it. :(

It is the only cruise line I can remember where....... we were required to keep carrying our carry-on after we carried it on. :D

On all cruise lines, are you permitted to remain in your cabin until your disembarkation color/number is called?

We can't have it all ways to Sunday...... The stewards need time to get the cabins clean AFTER the departing group has vacated their cabins after waiting in them, rather than in a public area, until they are called to debark.

Being Suite guests and seeing as we often do back-to-backs, I can say you are BOTH right, Ruth and Melodie.

There are times the Fire Doors are closed at the hallway and there are times it is open. When we are back-to-backs, we come and go from our cabin. Never had a problem.

We have always been permitted to go to Neptune Lounge immediately upon boarding and we are very often among the very first aboard..... :o (We get there early. Especially if it is MAASDAM. :) )

If we want to go to Neptune, we tell the steward directing people at the elevator we wish to go to Neptune Lounge and he has never said "No". Most of the time, however, we don't wish to go there anyway.

Yeah, we also come on board early Sails and we hit the Navigation button and walla there we are, the fire doors have been closed. Heck Sails we were in the PH the time before for our anniversary, same story. Maybe you have more pull, ha, ha.......

I really like the fact that HAL allows us stay in our stateroom well past the time that other cruise lines have asked us to go up to the lounge. We are fairly light packers and always spend a day or two in port prior to departing on the cruise. If the weather is nice, we pack shorts etc. in our carry on (and not much else other than meds, a book, and a bottle or two of the grape) and change as soon as we get on board-notwithstanding whether our room is ready or not. If we are able to ditch the carry with someone we do it, otherwise we take our carry on outside on deck, catch some rays, and if the bar is open we toast the day.. If we have not been able to ditch the carry on, we wait until the room is ready, drop the bag, and head up for lunch. We have not experienced a suite and so are not familiar with the benefits that come with this. For us, embarkation day is all about getting on board and getting that cruise feeling in gear.

On my recent NCL cruise, we were allowed to stay in our cabins until we wanted to disembark. I stayed until appox. 10:00. There was a structured way, if you wanted to do it, but since I didn't have a flight until 3:30, I wasn't in a hurry.

We were not allowed in our cabins until the announcement that they were ready, approx. 1:30, so we had to roll or haul our carry on bags around until then. I don't know if the high category folks had different rules.... I was in a mini-suite and there were no extra perks for us.

Diane

Archived