Balcony Question: D1 vs D2 on Freedom

There is a 300.00 difference in cost between D1 and D2 on our 7/12/09 cruise and for the life of me I cannot determine why.

Each room is on the same deck (9) and is the same size w/ same size balcony...in the same area of the ship (near hump).

Anyone know why one is 20 percent more than the other?

I have had the same question myself. The best that I have been able to figure is that D1 *seems* to have a sleeper-sofa while D2 *seems* to have only a regular sofa or chair(s) in the sitting area. Perhaps the sleeper-sofa is more attractive (i.e., more expensive) for people who are trying to cram more adults into a single room for the significant discount that the 3rd and 4th passengers get. I'm not 100% sure, though. I also believe that the physical location of the rooms on the deckplan is considered in their category grading, but so many D1's and D2's are right next to each other that I'm at somewhat of a loss. I don't believe this could be due to obstructed views, but I don't know.

In any event, there is no clear substantial difference between the two categories that I could find after exhaustive research. So, for two people, D2 seemed to be the better choice for us and is what we chose for our upcoming cruise on Independence (Freedom's classmate vessel). 20% more $$$ for the pina coladas!

Hope that's something.

thanks for the feedback...i saw that symbol for the D1 having a "sleeper sofa" but the cabin we booked for our son was adjoining our JS and it did not have that symbol..i think RCL is charging the xtra 300 because they are true adjoining cabins.

going to change to D2 cause 600 bucks is 600 bucks, but going to keep the JS..;)

Archived