Purchase extra stateroom after embarkation?

Snow storm

I would like to know what your experience has been in purchasing an unsold cabin after embarkation for use as a snore room. Did you have a choice of cabin type and what can I expect to pay? We will be on the Maasdam on Oct 24 for 14 nights so I am a little worried about this. :confused:

I would think that most of the unsold cabins on any cruise would be inside cabins. I'm assuming you have booked a cabin that can hold more than 2 people and are assuming that there will be open cabins on your cruise so that the extra people (children) can stay in the other cabin.

My guess would be cruise lines are aware of people trying to do this and may price those cabins at close to what they are listed for. If they don't do that I would be surprised since this would be a great way for 4 people to book a single cabin at a very cheap price per person and then be able to get another cabin for a cheap price.

I just looked this cruise up on my online TA's site and I understand what you may be doing given a 3rd and 4th person can book to stay in a cabin for $199 a person. Good luck in assuming that the cruise lines are dumb but I suspect you may find once you sail that they will be willing to sell you another cabin but for the brochure price which for an inside cabin is $2739.00 per person.

Please post what happened as I know others will be interested.

Have an interesting next cruise.

I would like to know what your experience has been in purchasing an unsold cabin after embarkation for use as a snore room. Did you have a choice of cabin type and what can I expect to pay? We will be on the Maasdam on Oct 24 for 14 nights so I am a little worried about this. :confused:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Purchase an extra cabin for a "snore" room??? Are you kidding me??

First the majority of the cruises that we have been are all sold out.

Second -- if there is an extra cabin available -- you can bet that you are going to pay top dollar$$$$ for that cabin.

Where ever have you been able to get an extra cabin for a "snore" room??? Love to know what you paid for that extra cabin.

On another cruise line (not HAL) my best friend and I were desperate to change cabins. We did NOT care what it might cost, and told the purser that. "We don't care WHAT it costs, find us another cabin." It didn't matter what we were prepared to pay -- the ship was full, and we were stuck in the cabin we were stuck in :( If you absolutely need another cabin I'd book it now, the cheapest you can find.

I expect to sleep on my balcony many nights because i too am a snorer. They could develope a snore dorm for all us old geezers who keep our partners awake. Why should they charge a lot for this area as we aleady paid for meals, taxes and port charges. All they have is the expense of changing linens.

I've been married to a "snorer" for going on 26 years. Some nights I've wanted to "kill" because the snoring is so bad.

I finally found some incredible ear plugs that I can wear every night. They don't "hurt" and actually keep out the sound.

You can find them at any Walgreen's, CVS or WalMart. The

brand name is: Mack's Pillow Soft Ear Plugs. They come in

packages of two or six. I use one pair for about a week before

they loose their "sticky" properties which seal out the sound.

I highly recommend them! Saved us from having separate bedrooms.

Bon Voyage to all!

In the course of many cruises I have yet to see one with ANY empty cabins - last minute pricing effectively eliminates that prospect. There is no way a line wants to sail with unsold space - and they are pretty good at monitoring sales. More than once a line has contacted me a couple of weeks before a sailing offering "good" pricing (I was not able to take advantage of the deal).

Snow Storm: Welcome to CC boards. I see it is your first!

There appear to be many cabins available for the Oct. 24 sailing (14 days for under $900!!:eek: )

Come on over to The Roll Call and get acqainted with us. We have a couple "Meet and Greets" scheduled. Looks like about 25-30 of us so far.

Just a few days to wait until our sailing!:cool: Deb C.

Actually this will be our thirty second cruise. We are both medallion holders with 130 days on Holland and 240 days on outer lines. The snoring issue is new; my wife was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and the snoring is just a symptom, how ever the volume is unbelievable. I hope she does not disturb the gusts in the state rooms next to us or across the hall. She will be having surgery after we return. The odds are there will be vacant cabins and I just hope I can buy one at a reasonable price. I am still working but have six weeks vacation that I can take any time as long as I have internet access. Last year I got away with 10 weeks off. I may be forced into retirement at any time, but have no reason to go on my own accord. When that time comes I am looking forward to several of the grand voyages. We generally sail during the off peak periods and have been to the four corners of the earth. I have a great deal to share about cruising. My life is starting to slow down a little so I will have more time to spend on this board. Thank you for the warn welcome. We will even sign up on the role call which will be a first since our friends can not accompany us this due to the economy.

Actually this will be our thirty second cruise. We are both medallion holders with 130 days on Holland and 240 days on outer lines. The snoring issue is new; my wife was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and the snoring is just a symptom, how ever the volume is unbelievable. I hope she does not disturb the gusts in the state rooms next to us or across the hall. She will be having surgery after we return. The odds are there will be vacant cabins and I just hope I can buy one at a reasonable price. I am still working but have six weeks vacation that I can take any time as long as I have internet access. Last year I got away with 10 weeks off. I may be forced into retirement at any time, but have no reason to go on my own accord. When that time comes I am looking forward to several of the grand voyages. We generally sail during the off peak periods and have been to the four corners of the earth. I have a great deal to share about cruising. My life is starting to slow down a little so I will have more time to spend on this board. Thank you for the warn welcome. We will even sign up on the role call which will be a first since our friends can not accompany us this due to the economy.

Who knows, you might just luck out on a last minute cabin. I really don't think that the round trip Barbados portion didn't sell so well and HAL is opening up cabins on the round trip Fort Lauderdale part to gain cruisers. Like my mother always said, it won't hurt to ask, all they can you is either yes or no. Not asking will always leave you with a what if???

Also like DebC stated, head over to the roll call section and join us on the board!! We have a great group sailing with us!! We have people celebrating birthdays,anniversaries, the join of cruising,etc. We are having two meet and greets that you and your wife are most welcome to join us!!!

Happy sailing!!

I've been married to a "snorer" for going on 26 years. Some nights I've wanted to "kill" because the snoring is so bad.

I finally found some incredible ear plugs that I can wear every night. They don't "hurt" and actually keep out the sound.

You can find them at any Walgreen's, CVS or WalMart. The

brand name is: Mack's Pillow Soft Ear Plugs. They come in

packages of two or six. I use one pair for about a week before

they loose their "sticky" properties which seal out the sound.

I highly recommend them! Saved us from having separate bedrooms.

Bon Voyage to all!

Hi, Are the ones you are talking about the white silicone ones that you roll into a ball to insert in your ears? I have tried all kinds of ear plugs against a snorer and most work "ok" but I hope these work better. But looking at the website there are several different pair by Mack and wanted to make sure I was buying the right pair you are referring to. Thanks for the help. :D

The snoring issue is new; my wife was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and the snoring is just a symptom, how ever the volume is unbelievable. ... She will be having surgery after we return.

I hope her surgery goes well; she'll feel so much better.

My apnea was discovered while I was hospitalized on another matter. When it was officially diagnosed I was put on a CPAP machine. I can't sleep without it now, and wake up rested.

You both will notice a big difference. :)

Just out of curiosity, is it possible for your wife to get a CPAP machine in the meantime? You might be able to save yourself the hassle and expense of finding a second cabin. I work in sleep medicine and find that most people who give CPAP a try really like it after the initial adjustment period is over. Just a thought.

If you know there are inexpensive cabins available now, why not book and pay for it before you go and you won't have to worry?

I've heard of people who book a spare cabin for their wardrobe for very long cruises, so why not a spare cabin for sleeping?!!! :)

At times, my DH can snore like none other.

We get eight pillows on our bed, so I usually just pile a whole stack of the unused ones over his head.

That seems to be the cheapest way to solve the snoring problem.

We get eight pillows on our bed, so I usually just pile a whole stack of the unused ones over his head.

I'm loving the visual on that suggestion! :D I'll give it a try next time DW's snoring hits a 7 on the ricther scale :eek:

My DH is also a snorer and normally I use the "poke and roll over" method to get him to stop. I actaully don't recall it being an issue on cruises - maybe because those bed are so comfy that I get into a really deep sleep.

I tried the Cpap machine and the pressure wakes me up. It's good for a few hours and then get annoying.

not to hijack this thread, but was your mask fitting alright? Sometimes when the mask leaks (from position changes etc) it can get noisy.

Permanently? Does it solve the snoring problem permanently? :D :D

It works long enough for me to get to sleep, lol! Once I'm asleep, I don't notice it.

DH used to wonder why he had so many pillows on top of his head... at first I think he thought I was trying to do away with him altogether! Now, he doesn't mind - he knows he can be loud.

It works long enough for me to get to sleep, lol! Once I'm asleep, I don't notice it.

DH used to wonder why he had so many pillows on top of his head... at first I think he thought I was trying to do away with him altogether! Now, he doesn't mind - he knows he can be loud.

You missed the humor. It sounded like you were covering his head with pillows with something else in mind other than stopping the snoring. LOL :D

You missed the humor. It sounded like you were covering his head with pillows with something else in mind other than stopping the snoring. LOL :D

LOL!! You're right, I missed it! I see it now - and trust me, there have been times DH may question my motives, lol!!!

Archived