Horizon returning to Celebrity?....

Luv4dacruise

I copied this page from the Island Cruises board. In the beginning of the article it states that the Island Star (former Horizon) will be transferred to Pullmantur Cruises. About halfway down (i highlighted it in red) it states the ship being returned to Celebrity. I really don't see it happening, but i do have to say it would be sooooooo nice. Horizon and Zenith were by FAR my favortie ships out of ll i have sailed on any line. What does everyone else think?....

from travelmole.

Questionmark over Island Cruises brand

The future of the Island Cruises brand hangs in doubt after half shareholder TUI UK agreed to buy out joint partner Royal Caribbean.

One of the joint venture’s two ships – Island Escape – is to be retained by TUI while the second – Island Star – will be returned to Royal Caribbean.

The US cruise company said it would “recognise a small gain” on the sale of its interest in Island Cruises and the early termination of the Island Star charter.

Royal Caribbean plans to redeploy the Island Star to its Spanish brand Pullmantur Cruises.

"Redeploying the Island Star to our expanding Pullmantur fleet allows us to better serve the strategically important Spanish market," said the line's chairman and and chief executive Richard Fain.

Island Cruises’ managing director Patrick Ryan is to leave the company at Christmas. The future of the rest of the Island Cruises staff has not yet been determined.

TUI UK director of cruising David Selby is to lead a review of the integrated business, according to a letter to staff.

But cruise agents speculated that the Island Cruises brand would not be retained as TUI’s Thomson Cruises seeks to attract more older, higher spending passengers rather than cost conscious first-timers which were Island’s stock in trade.

Island has carved a niche out alongside Carnival UK’s two-ship Ocean Village brand for offering quality, casual Mediterranean fly-cruises in the summer and Caribbean in the winter to travellers who have not experienced cruise holidays before.

But it had become known in the trade for deep discounting particularly in the shoulder seasons.

The deal means that Island Escape will continue to operate its published itineraries in Brazil this winter and from Palma for next summer.

Island Star will operate its Caribbean itineraries under the Island Cruises banner this winter until it is returned to Celebrity on April 6, 2009.

Thomson Cruises currently operates a fleet of five ships, and had planned to reduce to four next year.

But TUI UK & Ireland managing director Dermot Blastland said: “It is our intention to integrate Island Escape into this established fleet.

“The Island Escape will, therefore, continue to deliver the same exceptional value for money cruise product within Thomson Cruises.”

The statement does not make it clear what happens to the Island Cruises staff other than saying that Ryan has “decided to persue his career outside of Island Cruises” and is to stay on until Christmas to support the transition.

Fain said: "We thank TUI for their efforts and cooperation throughout the life of the joint venture. Island Cruises has been a rewarding investment for us, but over the past year our priorities have shifted.

"We believe by focusing on developing and expanding the Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises brands in the UK we will be better able to serve our customers and create value for our shareholders.

"This belief has been strengthened by the success of the inaugural season of Independence of the Seas, which has served the U.K. market from Southampton since it entered service in May 2008.”

Hi Everyone !

While it would be great if one of the ships returned to Celebrity (especially for Bermuda), I expect the ships will wind up at Pullmantur. Even if that does not happen, I would think the smaller ships would be a much better fit for Azamara than Celebrity.

Now there's an idea - bring the Horizon and Zenith back under the "X" umbrella as part of Azamara - update them w/ balconies (I think they did that to Zenith already?) Refresh the interiors and sent them off to the remote and exotic corners of the Earth - World Cruise anyone?

I also continually hope (though I know it ain't gonna happen) that the Galaxy, and eventually the Mercury, will not leave the "X" fleet. Given a Century type facelift these 2 ships should have plenty of legs left in them.

I guess w/ 5 - count 'em 5 - Solstice Class ships coming online that that would just be too much overall capacity for Celebrity. As much as I like the continued investment in the Celebrity brand by RCI it saddens me to lose such wonderful mid-sized ships as Galaxy, Mercury and Century from the fleet.

Hi Everyone !

While it would be great if one of the ships returned to Celebrity (especially for Bermuda), I expect the ships will wind up at Pullmantur. Even if that does not happen, I would think the smaller ships would be a much better fit for Azamara than Celebrity.

The cruise gods have spoken i guess :p

In all seriousness though, i know that in all probability it was just a typo, but gave me a glimmer of hope at least.

Thatsnk Host Andy :D

Now there's an idea - bring the Horizon and Zenith back under the "X" umbrella as part of Azamara - update them w/ balconies (I think they did that to Zenith already?) Refresh the interiors and sent them off to the remote and exotic corners of the Earth - World Cruise anyone?

I also continually hope (though I know it ain't gonna happen) that the Galaxy, and eventually the Mercury, will not leave the "X" fleet. Given a Century type facelift these 2 ships should have plenty of legs left in them.

I guess w/ 5 - count 'em 5 - Solstice Class ships coming online that that would just be too much overall capacity for Celebrity. As much as I like the continued investment in the Celebrity brand by RCI it saddens me to lose such wonderful mid-sized ships as Galaxy, Mercury and Century from the fleet.

Hi Scott !

The thing I keep thinking about.... is that the world has significantly changed over the past few months, and especially in the last 2 weeks. All this discussion about Celebrity's older ships leaving the fleet were based on a boom in Cruising. For 2009 and perhaps 2010, things look as if they will slow down quite a bit. I have a feeling, this may put all the rumors of ships leaving the fleet, to rest for now.

I wouldnt be surprised if even Galaxy somehow remains with Celebrity. As the game has changed quite a bit, I wouldnt assume that big changes in Celebrity's fleet will happen over the next 18 months or so. Azamara may even wind up a winner in this financial mess, as some of Celebrity's extra tonnage could wind up there. We will have to wait and see how quickly the economy recovers. Whatever Celebrity decides, it should be very interesting.

Archived