Doom And Gloom Cruising

Aussie One

Most Cruise lines advertise cruising in US Dollars.The economy in most countrys the curancys has dropped against the $US.this means less foriegn passengers for the cruise lines.I was planning a cruise out of the USA. but this is now on hold.This also means less tourist to the USA.

The cruise companys will have to be more competative or cancell some routes to survive. sorry about the doom and gloom Grumphy

Personally in the cruising I have done.. Rally do I come across foreigners. The only cruise I can remember being on that had more foreigners was a S. Caribbean and frankly it was more Canadians and US passengers and a "few" foreigners.

Now we did a land vacation in 2005. This was doing the "Great Circle Route" out west. We did run into a lot of foreigners. People will vacation based on there own economies in there own homes. Not how the dollar is doing to the euro. At least we don't. Yes we are cutting back on our "fun" time right now... But it doesn't have to do with the dollar is doing compared to the euro. It has to do with that we work in the construction and home design.. So with it being slow we work harder right now.. So less vacations for us.. But this will not always be the case. We still plan on doing a 3 day cruise in Dec.

I'm sure the cruise lines we still make it.. This economic problem will not last for ever.

Hope it means more homeporting. Maybe they'll bring more ships to more U.S. cities to attract people who don't wish to fly in order to cruise. :)

I love when we can sail out of Boston. That is the BEST!!!

Two ways of looking at the dollar vs other currencies. Of course, it depends upon which side of the dollar you are in for each side's perspective.

Fewer Americans flew to Europe this summer to cruise. Was too pricey. So, maybe this winter, fewer Europeans will fly to U.S. to cruise.

Have to find a good balance somewhere. :)

Personally in the cruising I have done.. Rally do I come across foreigners. The only cruise I can remember being on that had more foreigners was a S. Caribbean and frankly it was more Canadians and US passengers and a "few" foreigners.

Now we did a land vacation in 2005. This was doing the "Great Circle Route" out west. We did run into a lot of foreigners. People will vacation based on there own economies in there own homes. Not how the dollar is doing to the euro. At least we don't. Yes we are cutting back on our "fun" time right now... But it doesn't have to do with the dollar is doing compared to the euro. It has to do with that we work in the construction and home design.. So with it being slow we work harder right now.. So less vacations for us.. But this will not always be the case. We still plan on doing a 3 day cruise in Dec.

I'm sure the cruise lines we still make it.. This economic problem will not last for ever.

Perhaps the Caribbean and Bahamas does have more Americans and Canadians, but the southern caribbean, as you said, was at least one third European on my cruise. I found this true also for my Alaska and Bermuda cruises. On the transatlantic we did last year there were as many Europeans on ship as Americans and Canadains, with a handfull of people from Asia, Africa, and Australia.

To the OP- I know there are quite a few crusies out of Australia, perhaps you just need to stay closer to home for your cruises until the economy improves. The same goes for me, I doubt I will cruise further away than the caribbean for while.

Until now, it seems most gave 'lip service' to the concept we truly have global economy now.

People are starting to get it...... When the U.S. economy tanks, the whole world feels it. When Wall Street sneezes, the whole world catches cold.

Perhaps the Caribbean and Bahamas does have more Americans and Canadians, but the southern caribbean, as you said, was at least one third European on my cruise. I found this true also for my Alaska and Bermuda cruises. On the transatlantic we did last year there were as many Europeans on ship as Americans and Canadains, with a handfull of people from Asia, Africa, and Australia.

That's true we only do Eastern and Bahama's cruises mainly.. Haven't done any Alaska of Europe cruises yet. But will in the future. :D We may be staying close to home this year.. But that will change soon....

Until now, it seems most gave 'lip service' to the concept we truly have global economy now.

People are starting to get it...... When the U.S. economy tanks, the whole world feels it. When Wall Street sneezes, the whole world catches cold.

Remember that Wall Street doesn't necessarily measure the strength of the economy, only the general consensus people have about their opinions of the economy. We're going through a panic right now with people cashing out, and in fact creating a buying opportunity. The turnaround might not take as long as one thinks.

What truly affects the economy in the US more than anything else is our own government's influence upon it.

I do have to chuckle a little bit at the OP's post. It wasn't very long ago that there was a certain amount of schadenfreude being communicated towards the US-based portion of this board's membership when the dollar was totally in the tank relative to other currencies. In the light of those comments, the comments that originated this thread are somewhat ironic.

I guess you only cruise out of US ports???

Go to Europe and the ships are full of Europeans....

I guess you only cruise out of US ports???

Go to Europe and the ships are full of Europeans....

Yes I live in Florida, but I was responding to the OP which he mention he was going to be taking a cruise out of the US.. Of course if I'm taking a cruise from Europe I will SEE more if not ALL Europeans on the cruise.....:rolleyes: Read below which is what the OP said..

(I was planning a cruise out of the USA. but this is now on hold.This also means less tourist to the USA. The cruise companys will have to be more competative or cancell some routes to survive. sorry about the doom and gloom Grumphy)

A cruise ship operator is nothing more than a technically more sophisticated hotel company. Marriott Corp or Hilton have buildings with rooms and cruise lines have moving buildings with rooms. The big difference is that Marriott is stuck with an under performing property in Miami when there is a U.S. travel slowdown. Carnival Corp or Royal Caribbean can adjust for regional weaknesses by moving their inventory to lesser depressed areas (i.e. Royal's recent announcement of putting a ship in Dubai, etc.) and those with stronger currencies.

As a Carnival Corp shareholder, I would rather them move ships to more lucrative markets even if that means that my personal chances to cruise get reduced (which has happened with Princess no longer having a year round ship in Florida).

More U.S. homeport cruising will not make a great comeback as long as Europeans and Asians continue to cruise in greater numbers which generate revenues in stronger currencies (which pays for ships built and payable in Euroland). The only way more U.S. homeport cruising would make a major comeback is in the case of another 9/11 type of event when the lines would be basically forced to fill their ships closer to (still) their largest customer market bases...

There's been talk on our local news media about Feds handing out 2nd installment of Stimulus checks again but Congress needs to vote it thru. I hope so cause I can sure use it in our next cruise to S. Caribbean!

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/story.aspx?content_id=76db8947-88cc-452d-8d31-dfead62f4215

Over the last few weeks I've noticed and increase in regional pricing for Alberta when I'm researching 2008 and 2009 cruises verses the price of cruises in 2007.

In 2007 when the Canadian dollar was on par or stronger than the US dollar, I did not see any regional specials for Alberta residents.

This year there are a lot of regional specials for Albertians. I'm seeing price reductions inexcess of 15% for Albertians only on many cruises.

The cruise lines do this to offset the the stronger American dollar and attract more Canadian sales.

if you want to see these regional price reductions just enter a western Canadian province as your place of residence or enter a western Canadian city as your departure city when requesting airfare with a cruise on the cruise lines search engine.

In the past and just for fun I even entered different States to see if their was regional specials for you Americans - and there was.

There's been talk on our local news media about Feds handing out 2nd installment of Stimulus checks again but Congress needs to vote it thru. I hope so cause I can sure use it in our next cruise to S. Caribbean!

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/story.aspx?content_id=76db8947-88cc-452d-8d31-dfead62f4215

Here this country is 10 TRILLION in debt and now our gov'nt will hand out MORE money and apparently NOT so people can keep from losing their homes, or to be able to afford food or be able to afford heat this winter, but so many can afford to cruise? A LUXURY?

I do believe something is WRONG with this picture. No wonder other countries look at Americans as being spoiled.

I always have to laugh when I read about other countries and what they think of the USA. A person (can't remember who) once said that no matter what is said, a measure of a country/society is to check to see how many are trying to get in, and how many are trying to get out. Last I checked, Americans are not trying to get out of here in droves, and people from other countries are still trying to get in in droves - legally and illegally.

Here this country is 10 TRILLION in debt and now our gov'nt will hand out MORE money and apparently NOT so people can keep from losing their homes, or to be able to afford food or be able to afford heat this winter, but so many can afford to cruise? A LUXURY?

I do believe something is WRONG with this picture. No wonder other countries look at Americans as being spoiled.

Where the heck is the $ coming from? The printers must be making a killing in overtime pay!

We put our stimulus check in the bank with the plan of using it to help with final payment on our upcoming cruise. So... I used the money I would have used for the final payment on my groceries, clothing, gasoline, insurance and electric bill. What's the difference? It is still going back into the economy which is the purpose of the program in the first place. I don't agree with this type of spending either, but if I get a check from the government, I'm not going to send it back! I doubt also that the amount they have refunded to us would do much to stave off foreclosure on a 300k home that the buyers couldn't afford to start with. JMHO. The national debt has nothing to do with the average American being spoiled, but more to do with bad legislature in Congress,and "other countries" have benefited from the generosity of the United States. As you mentioned people needing assistance with their mortgages and heating costs... there are many people who are far from spoiled in this nation and many in other nations that have incredible wealth. If I get another stimulus check ( because I pay plenty of taxes) I might use it on another cruise and use the money I would have saved for that trip to bolster my sad retirement account:( which will make it easier for me to continue to support charities at home and abroad.:)

We put our stimulus check in the bank with the plan of using it to help with final payment on our upcoming cruise. So... I used the money I would have used for the final payment on my groceries, clothing, gasoline, insurance and electric bill. What's the difference? It is still going back into the economy which is the purpose of the program in the first place. I don't agree with this type of spending either, but if I get a check from the government, I'm not going to send it back! I doubt also that the amount they have refunded to us would do much to stave off foreclosure on a 300k home that the buyers couldn't afford to start with. JMHO. The national debt has nothing to do with the average American being spoiled, but more to do with bad legislature in Congress,and "other countries" have benefited from the generosity of the United States. As you mentioned people needing assistance with their mortgages and heating costs... there are many people who are far from spoiled in this nation and many in other nations that have incredible wealth. If I get another stimulus check ( because I pay plenty of taxes) I might use it on another cruise and use the money I would have saved for that trip to bolster my sad retirement account:( which will make it easier for me to continue to support charities at home and abroad.:)

You know I was posting to the person who wants a stimilous check so he can book a cruise. I was simply trying to get him to see how foolish he sounded. I was not refering to you. I certainly was not referring to those who need the money to simply survive. I doubt very many of them have cruised.

Me? Yes we are taking a cruise next month. Did we use our stimolus check to pay for it. Not really. The cruise, even though it was a "deal" cost considerably more than $1200.

I don't expect the government - meaning, my fellow citizens - to pay for my cruises. That is my responsibility.

I don't expect the government - meaning, my fellow citizens - to pay for my cruises. That is my responsibility.

LOL! I agree! Besides, I figured it up, $1200 will cover our tips, our fuel surcharge, the specialty restaurant a couple of times, and our excursions, there is still another $3000 plus that we will have to pay for, LOL! and we are driving down, not flying.

If I can afford $3000, I can afford $4500.

Archived