Transatlantic Cruise $50 Second Bag Fee

gczechowicz

Is everyone aware that they will be charged $50 extra bag fee when returning from a transatlantic cruise? We are on the Celebrity Summit T/A flying out from Newark to Barcelona on Scandinavian and returning from San Juan to Newark on Delta. (Cruise Air booked with Celebrity) We are allowed 2 checked bags per person on the international flight to Barcelona but on the return "domestic" flight from San Juan Delta only allows one bag and will be charging $50 per bag for the "extra" second bag. I spoke with Delta, Celebrity and my travel agent and they are saying that nothing can be done about this - "airlines have their regulations". Apparently if it was the same airline then it would not be a problem but because its different airlines then the reservation is treated seperately.

Looks like we have to lose one bag on the way back. Has anyone else encountered this? Seems to me a lot of us will be in the same situation. Celebrity should make people aware of this also.

Is everyone aware that they will be charged $50 extra bag fee when returning from a transatlantic cruise? We are on the Celebrity Summit T/A flying out from Newark to Barcelona on Scandinavian and returning from San Juan to Newark on Delta. (Cruise Air booked with Celebrity) We are allowed 2 checked bags per person on the international flight to Barcelona but on the return "domestic" flight from San Juan Delta only allows one bag and will be charging $50 per bag for the "extra" second bag. I spoke with Delta, Celebrity and my travel agent and they are saying that nothing can be done about this - "airlines have their regulations". Apparently if it was the same airline then it would not be a problem but because its different airlines then the reservation is treated seperately.

Looks like we have to lose one bag on the way back. Has anyone else encountered this? Seems to me a lot of us will be in the same situation. Celebrity should make people aware of this also.

Even if it was all Delta all the way, you would still be charged for the second bag on a DOMESTIC flight. Sorry, but domestic flights are those the airlines have tagged on the extra bag charges. Just the way it is. Your TA should have told you up front.

International flights, whether on Delta or SAS, allow two bags, 50 pounds each from the USA to international destinations. The only exception to this rule that I know of is AerLingus (2 bags, 40 pounds each from the USA.

It's a shame X booked you on Delta. Delta domestic flights have free first bag, but charge $50.00 for the second. Most of the other USA airlines charge $15.00 for the first bag, but only $25.00 for the second. You could have saved $10.00 per bag just by getting another flight from SJU but only if you have two bags. Either only take one bag per person or sorry, you have to pay. Not a pleasant ending to a wonderful cruise.

Your thread title is very misleading. Everyone doing a transatlantic cruise is not charged a $50 second bag fee.

Yes, I am aware of baggage fees and plan flights and pack accordingly.

As already explained, this fee will be charged if you check a second bag, because your return flight on DL is considered domestic. You have three choices. Change your flights to a different airline, pack lightly and don't check a second bag or pay the fee.

You have three choices. Change your flights to a different airline, pack lightly and don't check a second bag or pay the fee.

You left out....don't go. Stay home.

For the OP and others: If you buy airline tickets and don't know the terms and conditions, it's your own fault. If you buy tickets from a cruiseline and don't know that you could get any airline with any set of T&C, it's your own fault. And if you have a TA that doesn't know, or doesn't bother to tell you, the true details of your flight arrangements (especially cruiseline provided air), then you have a TA that shouldn't get your business. And again, it's your fault for chosing them.

Sorry...that's life in the big city. Next time, research first.

And yes....it isn't a blanket $50 for everyone.

We were lucky enough to book our return TA; FLL to JFK before a specific date. I have a printout stating no charge for second bag since flight was book prior to the 'special date'. Next year, not quite sure what we will plan. Of course with the big increase in airfare, this may be our last TA 8-(

I would consider a 21 in. or 22 in. luggage that I could carry on as my 2nd bag to avoid paying the extra $. If 2 of you, 2 extra to fill. Also, look into packing helpers, like compression bags, folders,etc. Some people even go with disposable or "older/ worn" items that can be left and not brought back.

Not only will you face the $50 fee on Delta, but if that bag is overweight the fee rises to $125.

I recently checked in for a Delta flight and saw one person after another get this $125 charge for overweight bags.

There is great risk when using the BIG 29" bags sold at Macy's and elsewhere. They are extremely easy to over load.

Good point PennyAgain; I see people in airports struggling to pull those enormous bags and often wonder exactly what they put in them.

I have never traveled anywhere that I needed more than two bags, and I am talking about max size of 22". Usually, I bring only one and carry it on.

I think if people returned from their travels and looked at what they brought and never used, they would see most people overpack and can do without much of what they thought they needed.

I could have much more fun spending $125 then handing it over to an airline for an overweight bag.

A local news item here discussed the issue of overweight bags and the horrible charges the airlines access for them.

A reporter bought a selection of 29" bags at Macy's, TJ Maxx and Dillards. She packed only the interior of the bags, did not use the 'maternity' panels. The bags were not full when she zipped them up.

The bags weighed EMPTY from 11.6 pounds to 15.9 pounds.

She packed the same items in each bag. The complete weight of the bags went from 46.9 pounds to over 50.

She speculated that many of the 29" bags were put on the market back in the old days of airline travel and ended up heavily discounted at places like TJ Maxx and Dillards.

It is certainly a case of buyer beware!

An inexpensive traveler luggage scale can help avoid these issues.

I've seen travelers opening their luggage and moving items around to try and make the limit.

Also, if a person travels a lot, it may be a good time to retire older heavier bags and get the newer lighter weight bags.

The "spinner" type bags are great because you can move them easier.

Depending on cost, we will sometimes ship some items home.

I honestly dont know what people packed in those humongous bags. Our neighbors cruised with us this time - for the trip the wife packed 2 HUGE bags - hers weighed 80lb and his 70lb, plus 3 day bags. Lucky for them Aer Lingus did not enforce the 2 bags each weighed 40lb rule, but count the total weight only. Unlucky for them, Aer Lingus basically torn one of their bags between DUB and VCE and the other one not torn was soacking wet. They had to file a claim at VCE airport after their 9pm arrival. On top of that, they have to find an internet cafe to send an email to the insurance company Aer Lingus used, to verify the claim within 7 days after the claim is filed, presumably a measure to make sure the claims submitted by the luggage handling at the airport are true.

Needless to say, while the 5-7 minutes walk from the ferry dock to the hotel on Lido was a breeze to most folks, but a huge drag to them as at 10:30pm no taxi could be found and they had to drag the humongous bags to the hotel. The wife told me she learned her lesson as she felt her bones were falling apart the next morning after this exercise. They literally had to stop at each bench for a rest before finally reached the hotel. (I warned her when I saw her luggages weeks before the trip.)

Sadly, I honesly dont see any impressive clothes coming out from those huge suitcases when we see them almost every other day one way or the other. No wonder the husband called the wife "The Bag Lady".

We each had a 22" carry-on, plus a day bag for hubby and a laptop bag (sans laptop) for myself for the papers, purse, cosmetics and camera. We hand-carried our warm outerwear - his was a fleece-type, mine is a wool gabardine. We flew AA MIA/YYZ and BA YYZ/LHR/BCN and were able to carry them onboard even for the LHR/BCN leg. I bought 2 cheap tickets from ClickAir for the BCN/VCE leg and thought our carry-ons would be over the 13kg limit so I paid for the checked bag fee 10 euro each online (if paid at check-in would be 15 euro). We never weighed our bags at home as we knew they would definitely be less than the 23kg checked bag limit. Besides, I purchased the tickets about a month before departure, and we did not start packing until the afternoon before we flew from MIA to YYZ the following day.

To my dismay, at BCN ClickAir check-in, hubby's bag weighed only 11kg and mine weigh 12.5kg - so we could have avoided paying the 10 euro each checked bag fee. We also saw a few persons have carry-ons even bigger than our checked-ones. Note to self, next time we dont need to buy checked-luggage at all.

I still wound up not using 4 long-sleeves (no need to wear them - one silk/wool light sweater, 3 cotton mock necks), a long sleeve silk blouse and a pair of silk pants did not get worn also. So I could have cut the weight down by at least 2+ kgs! Now I know when the 22" is not expanded, it most likely means the weight is below 13kg.

I did not bring gown this time but a plain, almost ankle length black knit dress, and silk tops/pants for the 3 formal nights. I wore them too and short skirts for other nights, sticked with the color scheme of black, cream, pink and red with accessories. Looking around I feel I am among the better-dressed group in the dining room every night. Each piece of dressy clothes is worn 3 times during the whole cruise in a mix-match fashion. The casual clothes incl 3 capris 2 shorts 1 slacks and a few T's and blouses, plus 2 swimsuits that were not worn either. No jeans because I simply dont like jeans. We did 2 laundries on the ship and a hand-wash of 3 shirts/blouses on one occasion.

Though I admit most women could not live with only one pair of dress shoes for the 18 day cruise except me. I only wore it to the dinners. I wore a KEDS thick bottom sneakers to shore and slippers on the ship.

It can be done - pack light and still dress adequately - also roll the clothes instead of fold them - not only you can pack more, the clothes dont wrinkle much this way. I have yet to need to iron my silks after unpacking, even after they have stayed inside the carry-on for 7 days before we boarded the ship, since we left home.

To the OP, $50 per bag is nothing when you compare the cost of your cruise, if you cannot travel without at least 2 luggages per person.

Edit: Hubby made a comment that for people wear big sizes, one piece of their clothes could be 3 pieces of our clothes - thus making them must use the large luggages just for the same number of clothes we bring. Though being 5'7" and at 124lbs I am not exactly a tiny person, certainly much taller than my neighbor who is only 5'2" and relatively trim. So that reasoning does not fit in her case, but does make sense in some people's cases - that the big luggage is necessity.

Excellent packing tips. I plan on one checked case { 22' between two of us with two smaller wheeled carry ons} for our upcoming TA from Barcelona. It is quite true we often do not need all the clothes we think we do.

It is too bad the OPs TA didn't point out the rule re domestic charges for 2nd bag.

We were just told today from our TA that our return trip flight on Alitalia was canceled, we used RCL to book air and they changed us to a Delta flight from Rome to JFK-JFK to Boston.

I asked our TA about the luggage fees and she called Delta and they told her that because we were booked through we did not have to pay the fee on the second bag. I may try for only 3 bags for the two of us in case that is not true. Or I may lose one on the return because I do plan to get rid of some clothes there.

I need at least 2 because they are NOT the big things that some people have.

DH can do with one but we put a1/4 or 1/3 in each bag in case we "lose" one then we each have a few days worth.

In economy with Singapore Airlines, we are allowed -

checked baggage - 1 suitcase 20 kg.

hand luggage - 1 - 7 kg.

In addition, all passengers are allowed -

Articles allowed on-board

All airline members of the International Air transport Association (IATA) have agreed to observe the following baggage regulations. You may carry on board the articles listed below free of charge over and above your free baggage allowance:

• A lady’s handbag
  • An overcoat
  • An umbrella or walking stick
  • A laptop or notebook computer
  • A small camera
  • A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight
  • Infant’s food for consumption in flight and infant’s carrying basket
  • A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them

The items highlighted above are items we take in addition to our hand luggage entitlement of 7kg.

OK, we don't look "cool" at check-in, in a Queensland summer, but once we get on the plane, we take out a nylon bag from our hand luggage and put all our heavy overcoats, umbrellas, camera, etc. away.

We were just told today from our TA that our return trip flight on Alitalia was canceled, we used RCL to book air and they changed us to a Delta flight from Rome to JFK-JFK to Boston.

I asked our TA about the luggage fees and she called Delta and they told her that because we were booked through we did not have to pay the fee on the second bag. I may try for only 3 bags for the two of us in case that is not true. Or I may lose one on the return because I do plan to get rid of some clothes there.

I need at least 2 because they are NOT the big things that some people have.

DH can do with one but we put a1/4 or 1/3 in each bag in case we "lose" one then we each have a few days worth.

Since you are flying RT international, you are allowed two bags, 50 pounds each FREE. No need to worry about extra luggage charges on your entire trip. Enjoy!!!

We each had a 22" carry-on, plus a day bag for hubby and a laptop bag (sans laptop) for myself for the papers, purse, cosmetics and camera. We hand-carried our warm outerwear - his was a fleece-type, mine is a wool gabardine.

Edit: Hubby made a comment that for people wear big sizes, one piece of their clothes could be 3 pieces of our clothes - thus making them must use the large luggages just for the same number of clothes we bring. Though being 5'7" and at 124lbs I am not exactly a tiny person, certainly much taller than my neighbor who is only 5'2" and relatively trim. So that reasoning does not fit in her case, but does make sense in some people's cases - that the big luggage is necessity.

I also travel with a 22" roller, a favorite design from LL Bean that is no longer made. My cameras, book, etc (and sometimes DH's DVD video) go inside and take up the majority of the weight, along with our two sweatshirts (I know, they are carried sometimes). My problem, is that I am still waiting for that 22" size luggage not to be allowed in the cabin (they changed the design so it does not have all of those pockets I like but perhaps it was because they make the bag larger). With the roller handles I'm not exactly sure it would fit in the little box more and more airlines have out for you to check (and so far I haven't been asked, with the exception of SWISS in Rome who just insisted on weighing our carry on). It sounds like a lot of travelers are still bringing 22" rollers onboard (I am not sure if this will work in Brazil or Argentina (LAN) or Peru flights)?

And based on our last mini cruise on Eurodam to Nowhere (3 nights from NYC) my DH would agree with you on the packing as we have never seen so many large, obese, overweight Americans and their clothes would take up a lot more luggage but these people were not flying.

So, they won't allow a 22" roller on-board the aircraft, correct?

Size and Dimensions

Under the SIA Cabin Baggage Policy, each passenger will be allowed the following:

• Quantity : 1 piece *
  • Dimension : Length + Breadth + Height
    (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45 inches) in total subject to stowability.
  • Weight : Up to 7 kgs

*First and Business Class passengers may be allowed two items, subject to local country specific requirements, specific aircraft cabin space and stowage availability.

The following are deemed to have constituted as one piece of cabin baggage:

• Trolley Bag - 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm (22" x 16" x 8")
  • Garment Bag - Dimension not exceeding 115 cm (45") & Thickness not exceeding 20 cm (8")when folded
  • Briefcase - 50 cm by 40 cm by 25 cm (20"x 16" x 10")

This off Singapore Airlines website.

You should check each airline's particular requirements.

Archived