Tilley hat - what do you think about them?

Go-Bucks!

I just bought a Tilley hat (T3) for my upcoming Panama canal cruise. I've never been a hat wearer, but because of my fair skin I'm concerned about burning down in the tropics. I think the features of the hat are nice, especially the chin and back of the head straps. Surely they'll help in windy conditions.

Can any of you "Tilley-hat-wearers" please tell me what you think about your hats? I'd enjoy hearing any positives or negatives, personal experiences, and opinions of whether you think they're worth the cost.

P.S. I got mine for $7 less than on the Tilley website and no shipping costs, so I'm happy about that! ;)

hi beachyfe,

My DH is a Tilley man. The clothes just seem to fit him better than most. So when we went on our first cruise last winter, he brought along several hats. He brought along the T3 and the TM10.

We had booked a daylong tour to the ruins of Tulum. The guide takes you around and then you have a couple hours to be on your own.

At Tulum, you are right beside the ocean and the day we were there, it was very hot. Now I am not a hat wearer...and the heat doesn't usually bother me. However, that day, I was feeling the heat a bit, and my DH pulled the T3 out of his backpack for me to wear. Well, it just made the difference between a so-so day and a great day! My head immediately cooled down, and I felt much better for the rest of the day.

Of course, he was wearing his TM10 which is much the same hat, but it is lighter in weight than the T3 and has mesh in the crown for more ventilation. He is fair skinned and despite being a farmer, has to watch how much sun he gets. The wider brim protects your neck as well.

So, for us, it made the day! As DH says, "If momma's happy, then the whole family is happy"!

Hope you enjoy your hat!

PS: I have the TilleySilk jacket and pants in black. Then I just mix it up with different colored tops (not Tilley) for dress up dining.

another Tilley hat lover here; have the original duck fabric one and now a wider brim one with vented top. DH has had 3 altogether and loves them too and the strap does work wonders in the wind!

Enjoy the hat and the Panama Canal!

My DH has a T3 & loves it. He is very fair & bald. He wore it this past Feb. to see the ruins in Belize & on the river cruise. The sun was strong all day & he did not get even a bit of color on his face, head or neck. Can't say enough good things about Tilley.

We both enjoy our Tilley hats -- and many Tilley wash and wear outfits. I particularily like the easy rinse and try overnight socks and panties.

I bought a braid -- could easily make one to 'tart' up my Tilley to match an outfit. Or a silk scarf would also work.

I've met other Tilley fans in various parts of the world but surprisingly our hats were most often recognized in Australia.

I guess each country has a special brand of travel clothes but Tilley seems to be recognized world wide.

Tilley is a brand. The hats are squashible, washable, sun-blocking....they are really nice. They are more expensive than a Wal-mart hat. Well worth the price, if the man needs a good hat! If the man has alot of hair and doesn't need the sun protection, then any hat will do, if he want's to wear one. For guys with thinning hair, it's a godsend. No more sunburned, peeling scalp! Did I mention it's packable????

My husband and I both just bought Tilley T3 with the mesh for our cruise in Nov. I took a cruise without him last week and wore my Tilley hat a lot. I'm not a hat person (and I don't look great in hats) but I wore this hat all of the time. In Puerto Vallarta it was so so hot/humid - I wore the hat the entire time - I know I wouldn't have lasted so long in the heat without the hat - I also wore it on the ship when laying out. The back strap was perfect since we had a couple of windy days.

When we were in PV we got caught in a big thunderstorm - got completely soaked - including the hat. It dried out nicely and kept it's shape.

I can't wait to wear it on my Southern Carribbean cruise in 2 weeks. We are also hoping to do a Panama canal cruise next year - that is why we spent the money on the hats - figured it was a good long term investment. My husband is bald and this looks much better on him than his baseball hats.

Our hardest thing was trying to figure out which of the hats to get. We couldn't decide between the T3 or T6 lightweight. Finally went for T3 - but I definately see the advantage of the bigger brim on the T6.

The straps work very well on keeping the hat on - I never felt like I was going to loose it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories! I really enjoyed them. And all positives! Makes me feel good about spending so much money on a little hat. ;) Anyone else?

I also don't like myself in hats, but I think you know you've grown up when you're willing to do or wear things that are good for you and not worry about what others are thinking. So I'm going to wear my hat on the 6 excursions we're taking as well as out on the ship. I've started wearing it around the house to get used to it and occasionally looking in the mirror so I get used to seeing myself in it! :o

Last year I forgot to take sunscreen to a college football game and it was about 90 degrees and the sun was literally searing my face and neck. The next day my sunburned face, ears, and neck were covered in oozing boils!! And it was just one week before I left for an Alaska cruise! I was a mess and in such pain. So, now I'm terrified of getting a sunburn. Now I have my SPF50 sunscreen and my hat - I'm ready for the tropics!

I also had a tough time deciding on which hat I wanted. Sure wish I could have tried some on first. Was sort of between the T5 and T3, both in the cotton duck and the nylon. Most of the lightweight ones in my size were sold out, so I got the duck. Actually, I really like that fabric. I'm amazed at the superb quality of the hat. It does seem pretty indestructible. And the "secret" pocket is such a great idea.

Many years ago,their ad showed an elephant keeper whose hat had been

swallowed by the elephant,retrieved after a certain passage of time(so to speak!) laundered thoroughly and back on the keeper's head looking as

spiffy as new!! Can't remember verbatim but they were saying something

about it lasting thro' anything:D

My DH has had his Tilley hat for at least 10 years...it's been camping, hiking, yard work, roof work etc... and even on the Carribbean & Alaska! I just got mine in Feb and have had it all summer & love it! They are very cool looking - do a great job and are well worth the money! We will be taking them next week to Mexico too! :)

Last year I forgot to take sunscreen to a college football game and it was about 90 degrees and the sun was literally searing my face and neck. The next day my sunburned face, ears, and neck were covered in oozing boils!! And it was just one week before I left for an Alaska cruise! I was a mess and in such pain. So, now I'm terrified of getting a sunburn. Now I have my SPF50 sunscreen and my hat - I'm ready for the tropics!

Make sure to take extra of that SPF50. On my Panama Canal cruise, I didn't bring enough and ended up with a severe sunburn by the end of the cruise.

A friend has a Tilley hat and every single time we travel together I think of ways to try and abscond with it, but it stays on his head the entire time so no luck yet.

I loved my Tilley hat - but on our last cruise the captain opened up the bow, unexpectedly, as we were entering the port of San Juan (beautiful port entrance) and I dashed up, didn't have it fastened properly and it blew off into the ocean! They float, so I like to think of it floating somewhere in the ocean.

I was always a little afraid of looking like a nerd with the chinstraps, but if you get one and there is any wind, use them! And put your name and address in the pocket in the top - that way somebody could possibly return it to you.

I believe they have some sort of insurance, so if you have the bill you can replace it at 50% or something like that, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

I believe they have some sort of insurance, so if you have the bill you can replace it at 50% or something like that, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Did you register your hat when you purchased it? If so, you will have received a "Straight Shooters Statement of Loss Form". If you don't have that, you will need the proof of purchase, and hat must have been purchased within two years of the date of loss.

Mail this to:

Tilley Endurables, Attn: Returns Dept., 3176 Abbott Road, Building A, Orchard Park, New York, 14127, U.S.A

Include the hat style and size with your mailing address. You can replace the hat with the same style for half the present price, plus shipping and taxes. If you want to change the style, you will be credited 50% of the current price of the hat you lost.

I just bought a Tilley hat (T3) for my upcoming Panama canal cruise. I've never been a hat wearer, but because of my fair skin I'm concerned about burning down in the tropics. I think the features of the hat are nice, especially the chin and back of the head straps. Surely they'll help in windy conditions.

Can any of you "Tilley-hat-wearers" please tell me what you think about your hats? I'd enjoy hearing any positives or negatives, personal experiences, and opinions of whether you think they're worth the cost.

P.S. I got mine for $7 less than on the Tilley website and no shipping costs, so I'm happy about that! ;)

Where did you get it from? I went to the website and it looks like something both my husband and I would get alot of use from.

Both my DH and I have Tilley's and use them frequently. We got ours when they only had one style. Since they look kind of "manish", I wrap a nice, colorful silk scarf around the brim of mine and it does wonders for it. The straps come in handy when you're in a convertible or other windy situation (even though they look dorky!).

Tilley's are expensive, but worth the money. I have other packable hats, but those are one size fits all (which don't). Tilley's are available like good hats - measured to fit your head, so you can get the exact size that fits - no more hat that's too small and gives you a headache!

Since they look kind of "manish", I wrap a nice, colorful silk scarf around the brim of mine and it does wonders for it.

I've thought about doing that. I have 2 scarves I got in Paris that would work, but how do you get them to stay on? When I tried it, they seemed to want to slip off - they're made of a silky-like material.

I've thought about doing that. I have 2 scarves I got in Paris that would work, but how do you get them to stay on? When I tried it, they seemed to want to slip off - they're made of a silky-like material.

I love my Tilley and to keep it from looking so "manish", I use grosgrain ribbon and I have the ribbons in several colors--I just tie them to fit around the hat, tie a bow and then slip them off and on if I want to change the "band". Just use some Hollywood Tape or other two sided tape to keep it in place. It works great.

Archived