Alaska Cruise Advise Needed

OrlEngr

Having just gotten off a cruise to Panama ... it is obviously time to start planning the next one. Strongly considering an Alaska cruise. We very much enjoyed the Coral Princess and would prefer to probably go on her sister ship ... Island Princess.

Any advise on time of year (yes I know summer!), Northern vs Southern voyage, etc would be appreciated. We are not locked into the Island Princess if someone has a good argument otherwise.

It depends in part on whether (I hope you do) take an Alaska land excursion (Princess or otherwise). The consensus for various reasons seems to be to do the land excursion first and then the cruise, meaning a southbound trip. This also gets your probable longest flight(s) done at the beginning of the trip, and lets you do the relaxing part (the cruise) last. You will note that this is also apparently the most popular way to travel, as there is a $100 or so price premium on the Princess cruises going southbound v. northbound.

For the record, we are doing southbound on the Coral next summer, because it and not the Island was in Whittier on the date we wanted to cruise.

Les

I agree with taxatty about doing your land tour first. We have gone to Alaska twice (Sun and Coral) and chose the southbound cruise because of the flight time (2 hours longer). Also, if you do your land tour first, you have time while on board to do laundry (yuk), wind down and relax. We did not booked our land with Princess. Last year, we flew up a couple days early and my husband booked a halibut fishing trip out of Whittier. We plan on going back to Alaska in a year or two and will do the land portion all on our own. We like the freedom to go as we want without time constraints.

We loved the Coral. We booked a mini suite and it was wonderful. We turned the tv (they had her on) toward the balcony while the naturalist was speaking and we were able to see the sites without elbowing others on the deck.

BTW...we are doing the Panama Canal this Christmas.

Like the others, I recommend a land tour first and then the North to South cruise. As has been pointed out, you have the long flights and the days of touring completed first and then you have the relaxing time onboard the ship. For us, it meant a flight home from Vancouver to Boston after the cruise that was less than a third of the time it took to fly to Fairbanks.

We went in early August. The weather was gorgeous. Warm (80s) during the day, 60s at night. We had two full days of clear viewing of Mt. McKinley plus other sightings from Denali Park. This was an awesome trip.

I went to Alaska May 2004, Coral Princess cruise tour.- 3S. Did the land tour then cruised south. It was AWESOME. I was very fortunate to spend 5 days in Anchorage before meeting up the with tour in Fairbanks so I was adjusted to the time zone changes. . The weather was perfect. I am glad that the first 2 days on the cruise were "sea days" because I needed the rest after the land tour! Get a balcony if you can, the scenary is beautiful. Feel free to ask any questions.

I hope you do get to the Alaska, you will enjoy it!

Susan

I have cruised Alaska many times in both directions and I too prefer southbound but due to the daylight Vancouver Island sailing. MY land tours are NEVER hectic and always well planned. I am no fan of cruisetours- significantly lacking. You need to allow plenty of time for interior touring- otherwise you will experience the "hectic" pace. Ideally at least a 7 day add on. I give a big edge to Seward and will no longer consider Princess, with HAL superior. BUT way too few people just pass through this port- don't be one of them- just excellent touring available- take advantage. My favorite and most traveled time is mid to late August- shoulder season rates, good amount of daylight, excellent wildlife viewing opportunities- tours necessary.

We like southbound and a pre-cruise stay at the Kenai Princess Lodge. Last time we did cruise only and flew into Anchorage a day early to acclimate and go to our favorite restaurants - Simon & Seaforts and The Glacier Brewhouse.

If you do stay in Anchorage stay at the Marriott (the only hotel with air conditioning). The Captain Cook gets really warm on the higher floors no matter what the exterior temperature is and you end up having to open windows.

Also the best Alaska Cruise deals can be found in the shoulder season around the first week in September.

Enjoy!

Doesn't matter actually. In the glacier bays (College Fjord and Glacier Bay) they go all the way in, turn the ship around and then go all the way out so you get to see everything no matter which side of the ship you are on. The rest of the time, you can see cool things on either side of the ship. We saw whales breeching on the ocean side and beautiful land scenery on the other. Believe me, they will let you know when the whales are around. For us it was dusk while we were enjoying cocktails on the deck and it was magical.

I would think knowing we are on a SOuthbound cruise ... one side of the ship or the other would be much better for a Balcony ... Am I correct ... which side do I want to be on.
On the Coral/Island Caribe Deck, walk completely aft onto a private deck area that few know about until it is too late. It has lounge chairs and you can see off both sides of the ship.. :)

I live in Seattle, so we like the round-trip sailings because we don't have to set foot on a plane. My DH is 6'3" and spends flights with his knees wedged into the seat in front of him if I can't get us an upgrade or an exit row. But if I lived anywhere else but the Northwest and was going to have to fly anyway, I'd definitely do the one-way with a land tour. Someday I'll get up to Denali...along with all the other fantastic places I want to see!

For clarification - breeching whales are NOT common and the ocean side seldom has much scenery except for sunsets. So ideally you want port for southbound and starboard for north. Same for glacier day- the "turn around" is no where near the time as views from the front of the ship- get out at least part of the glacier sailing day. Nothing beats the full front. :) AND no guarantees of a full turn. My 9-02 sailing- the starboard side got NO views of the Grand Pacific and Margerie glaciers- the ship made a starboard turn and LEFT.

My favourite time to go is May. The weather seems to be less rainy, all the ships aren't up yet so the ports are less crowded, the prices seem to be best, and not many kids on board.

But really, anytime is great to see Alaska :) .. mind you hubby wanted to fly to Fairbanks this winter to see the northern lights and I didn't encourage that idea lol. You'll have a great time. After 3 Alaska cruises, my favourite was a southbound on the Sun Princess. I have pictures and a review from my trip this year at my site : http://www.recordlady.com/Pages/CRUISES/Alaska2004/alaska_2004.htm

Have a great trip :) I hope to go again next year, living in Seattle and loving cruising its just such a nice opportunity and I never get tired of Alaska. The Coral sounds nice, I'd like to see that ship, but I think taking the Sun or Dawn out of Vancouver and doing a 2 week return trip would be a fun way to try it in 2005 .. we'll see.

Tina Johnson

"Vistadeck"

http://www.recordlady.com

My favourite time to go is May. The weather seems to be less rainy, all the ships aren't up yet so the ports are less crowded, the prices seem to be best, and not many kids on board.

But really, anytime is great to see Alaska :) .. mind you hubby wanted to fly to Fairbanks this winter to see the northern lights and I didn't encourage that idea lol. You'll have a great time. After 3 Alaska cruises, my favourite was a southbound on the Sun Princess. I have pictures and a review from my trip this year at my site : http://www.recordlady.com/Pages/CRUISES/Alaska2004/alaska_2004.htm

Have a great trip :) I hope to go again next year, living in Seattle and loving cruising its just such a nice opportunity and I never get tired of Alaska. The Coral sounds nice, I'd like to see that ship, but I think taking the Sun or Dawn out of Vancouver and doing a 2 week return trip would be a fun way to try it in 2005 .. we'll see.

Tina Johnson

"Vistadeck"

http://www.recordlady.com

Actually with 18 trips now to Alaska, my 2 winter trips FAR surpassed all the others for scenery and NORTHERN LIGHTS. Going to Fairbanks in March again the added bonus of the Ice Sculpting championships http://www.icealaska.com I'll also be a few days in Barrow. It is indeed a gem- don't discourage him. :)

Doesn't matter actually. In the glacier bays (College Fjord and Glacier Bay) they go all the way in, turn the ship around and then go all the way out so you get to see everything no matter which side of the ship you are on. The rest of the time, you can see cool things on either side of the ship. We saw whales breeching on the ocean side and beautiful land scenery on the other. Believe me, they will let you know when the whales are around. For us it was dusk while we were enjoying cocktails on the deck and it was magical.

We too have been lucky enough to see whales breaching on two of our Alaska sailings... caught one in a photo and everyone thought it was a postcard! It's not that common but it is unforgettable isn't it :)

Archived