Limits on SeaPass card for kids?

I also posted this over on the family board - but have received no answers after a few days. That board seems to be very quiet right now. I thought maybe some of you frequent RC cruisers might know the answer.

I did a search, but just wanted to verify that I understood correctly :D .

We will be on the RC Mariner in 3 weeks, and I am doing our on line check-in. I am considering allowing my dds some charging privileges.

I can back my dds' SeaPass cards with our credit card - but set a limit to how much they can charge? A total limit for the trip? And I can go in and change that during our trip if necessary - first set it to $20 and then if necessary increase it?

Do I establish the limit when we check-in at embarkation? I didn't see any spot on the on line check-in to set a limit.

I didn't turn my kids seapasses off - they could charge - I knew they wouldn't spend without asking. I did hear horror stories from other families of kids running wild because the parents didn't know the kid's ones were a charge card too lol.

I think as a charge card it's either on or off. You might be able to back yours and hubbys with credit card and the kids cards with cash only. Cash backed seapasses usually require a minimum, like $200. But I think they make exceptions for children's cards. What I would do is fill out setsail like that - and when you get onboard ask the purser if you can just put $20 in the kids folio and replenish as you see fit.

I also posted this over on the family board - but have received no answers after a few days. That board seems to be very quiet right now. I thought maybe some of you frequent RC cruisers might know the answer.

We will be on the RC Mariner in 3 weeks, and I am doing our on line check-in. I am considering allowing my dds some charging privileges.

I can back my dds' SeaPass cards with our credit card - but set a limit to how much they can charge? A total limit for the trip? And I can go in and change that during our trip if necessary - first set it to $20 and then if necessary increase it?

Do I establish the limit when we check-in at embarkation? I didn't see any spot on the on line check-in to set a limit.

We were on the Independence of the seas this summer.

We put a 100$ limit on the kids cards at the main desk.

Our son reached his limit and it would not let him charge any more untill we went to the desk and allowed another 50$.

We thought it was a good system.

Main spend was in the arcade.

Happy sailing Mark and family

Thats better than Carnival, where you have to either turn it on or off, nothing in between.

I did see someone cry babying about folks shouldnt cruise on RCL over Carnival on misc thread because her kids went crazy and somehow spent hundreds at Johnny Rockets over the space of a week.

Of course I'm sure she never thought of "maybe I should teach my kids not to charge on my account without permission" lol.

My 17yo called me from the ship phone in the gift shop because she wanted to buy something - it cost under $5 - but they don't spend mommy's money without permission - period.

Thats better than Carnival, where you have to either turn it on or off, nothing in between.

I did see someone cry babying about folks shouldnt cruise on RCL over Carnival on misc thread because her kids went crazy and somehow spent hundreds at Johnny Rockets over the space of a week.

You will be able to look at your dd's charges on your TV in your cabin also so that you can monitor their spending. I have never put a limit on my son's seapass but he is 17 and knows there are limits. We set the rules at the beginning of the week. He knew what was considered reasonable in our minds, one mocktail a day, a visit to ben and jerry's, those types of charges. He only went to the arcade the first night late when it was free and declared it lame.:rolleyes:

He actually spent less than we would have expected. He primarily drank lemonade or soda (he had a soda sticker) and only went to Ben and Jerry's once because he had the free frozen yogurt on the pool deck which was closer to the basketball court where he spent most of his week.

Thank you for the replies :D

My dds are younger - only 9 and 11 - but we are travelling with their older cousin. I thought there might be a time when they would be with their cousin instead of us - and so might want to be able to buy a soda or something.

I was thinking more of protection in case they lost their cards, rather than overspending. But they haven't ever hit the arcade..... The overspending issue might come into play this trip!;)

Archived