Military question

jamon

I recently signed up for a cruise using the military rate and requested and sent back the military appreciation from that they emailed me. My question is this: They didn't ask me to send in my dd214. Do I need to bring this with me on the cruise? Also, how will I know if I got approved. Any information would be appreciated as to how this works. Thanks

Looks like the dd-214 copy will be needed at check in

from a 2007 press release on the NCL site:

".....

NCL's military appreciation program offers qualifying active military personnel, retired personnel and veterans a reduced rate, based on sailing date and itinerary, on one stateroom per sailing. Spouses of active military members serving duty overseas are also eligible. The military appreciation program rates apply to new reservations only.

To make a reservation, members of the military can call a travel professional or NCL at 866-234-0292 and request promotion code: PGMR. Proper military identification must be shown at the pier on embarkation day....."

We are traveling with another couple in March and he was notified by our PCC that he is eligible for the military discount. He completed NCL's required form and faxed it in. We waited 24 hrs. then went online to look at his reservation information and the reduced price was reflected. He was informed that he will need to bring a copy of the dd214 with him and show it when he boards.

I recently signed up for a cruise using the military rate and requested and sent back the military appreciation from that they emailed me. My question is this: They didn't ask me to send in my dd214. Do I need to bring this with me on the cruise? Also, how will I know if I got approved. Any information would be appreciated as to how this works. Thanks

I booked with an online TA. He had me fax a copy of my husband's DD-214 to him so he could forward it to NCL. I'm not sure if it is required or not, but that's what we had to do. I was also told we need to bring it to the pier. Does anyone have the military desk's email??? Thanks:)

You're in the same boat (pun intended) as me. I've been told they won't ask for ID, but to be safe I'm bringing my DD214.

I emailed the nclmilitary desk for an answer--no response! (their email addy is on the form: militarydesk@ncl.com )

(BTW-the form also asks for ID Color--honorably discharged but not retired vets don't get an ID, but I was told to check BLUE)

I booked with a PCC

I have booked a couple of cruises with NCL direct. I am a Viet Nam vet and I have used the military discount twice. Both times, the NCL agent I used to book the cruise, asked me to FAX her the DD214 or else she might not be able to hold that cabin for that price. there are only a certain number of spaces for military discounts on sailings. I never was asked to show the DD214 at checkin.

We were on the Dream "adventure" last week, and used the military discount booking directly with NCL. I filled out the form from NCL, and faxed it, along with my husbands DD214.

Never heard anything from NCL regarding it, but checked the price given with the final receipt, and all was good. We asked at check in if they needed to see the dd214, and the lady behind the counter, said she didn't need nor want to see it. It was of no importance to her.

But I would still bring it just to be on the safe side :)

Has anyone sailed as a dependent spouse travelling WITHOUT the active member? I assume the spouse just shows his/her military ID at check-in?

I have traveled with out my spouse who is active duty. I had to send in a copy of my id card after I made my reservation. :)

I have traveled with out my spouse who is active duty. I had to send in a copy of my id card after I made my reservation. :)

I have already faxed them the standard form (asking which branch of the service my husband is in and which color my ID is) and I was told to be prepared to show my ID at check-in. I just wanted to make sure I don't need to produce anything else as a spouse travelling without my husand. I am taking my mother-in-law to Alaska (Norwegian Pearl) and I would HATE to find out at check-in that I was missing some critical piece of information and that I now had to pay a big hunk of change! :eek: (our military discount was about $600 total less than the best available fare at the time I booked). I want everything to go smoothly and for MIL to have her "trip-of-a-lifetime"! :D

to travel for the third time on a military rate. Sent copy of id card to TA for the first cruise, haven't had to send anything since then and was not asked for military identification at the port...which is a good thing because my military id doesn't have my current married name on it.....haven't lived close enough to a military base to get it changed.

you should have an invoice with the military rate on it. Yes, take your proof, but normally just emailing or faxing the information is acceptable.

Nita

I just faxed the form with a copy of my dd214 the the military desk and checked with my PCC 2 days later and he said it had been applied

I wasnt told anything about bringing my dd214 to the pier.

Last year we used the union discount because that was better then the military they told us to show our card at checkin but no one wanted to see it.

You're in the same boat (pun intended) as me. I've been told they won't ask for ID, but to be safe I'm bringing my DD214.

I emailed the nclmilitary desk for an answer--no response! (their email addy is on the form: militarydesk@ncl.com )

(BTW-the form also asks for ID Color--honorably discharged but not retired vets don't get an ID, but I was told to check BLUE)

I booked with a PCC

Thanks for the addy, Monte. I emailed them yesterday and got the standard we'll reply in 48-72 hours msg. Let the countdown begin!

I just faxed the form with a copy of my dd214 the the military desk and checked with my PCC 2 days later and he said it had been applied

I wasnt told anything about bringing my dd214 to the pier.

Last year we used the union discount because that was better then the military they told us to show our card at checkin but no one wanted to see it.

Love your signature quote;) Thank you for your service to our country:)

After seeing this post I too decided to fill out the form and email it in over the weekend. Not really expecting anything because we sail in 24 days.

BUT, low and behold comes an email this morning from the military desk at NCL. Along with a credit being applied back to my credit card for $122.00!!!

Not a fortune but hey, every penny counts!

This is our first cruise but we are VERY happy with the customer service we have received from NCL so far.

After seeing this post I too decided to fill out the form and email it in over the weekend. Not really expecting anything because we sail in 24 days.

BUT, low and behold comes an email this morning from the military desk at NCL. Along with a credit being applied back to my credit card for $122.00!!!

Not a fortune but hey, every penny counts!

This is our first cruise but we are VERY happy with the customer service we have received from NCL so far.

That's great JaiJai!!!

It's funny, but when I priced my cruise at NCL.com nothing came up for a military discount (when I entered the code) but when I booked it with my PCC/TA a discount appeared, so I'm happy also!

Same experience here as most of the others ... they asked for a copy of our IDs faxed when we booked and we got an ack to our email, and then never heard anything about it again. No requests to show our ID at boarding.

Archived