End of cruise tipping procedure.

RoupMom

Last summer when we sailed on X with BIL and SIL, at the end of the cruise we found not only envelopes, but cards with various staff categores on them. Now we have always done autotipping with adjustments, and I don't remember getting cards on HAL before, only envelopes to use if desired. BIL gave our waiter, assistant, steward, etc each an envelope. He said that it is considered proper to give them the card even when doing autotipping so they know you have tipped. Does HAL use these cards and I just don't remember? Do you use them?

Thanks in advance. I hate to appear gauche. :)

When we have received the cards, for the autotip, we have placed them in an envelope with a brief note thanking them for their service, and telling them how much we have enjoyed the cruise. If they had provided exceptional service, we would include an additional gratuity, or if they were not included in the tip pool, and we felt they were deserving of a gratuity, we would include their tip in the envelope.

We feel that both are important, the thank you notes, and the monetary rewards.

From what I have heard and read, the crew have the autotip reported directly to them, so they know at the end of the cruise which pax have used the autotip.

Greetings Roupmom. Having just got off the Veendam we were auto charged for gratuities at $10.00/day/person on our room account. I now understand this has risen to $11.00 and do not know the current breakdown. It was $3.50 each for room and dining room steward. The rest ($3.00) went to everyone else. If you did not agree with this then you took it up with the front desk. It is common to give more to anyone for good service above and beyond the call of duty. I never saw any special envelopes in the last two cruises. Hopes this helps. Colakid.

They always have plenty of envelopes at the front desk. Stop by anytime during your cruise and ask for as many as you want. The concierge in Neptune Lounge is also very happy to provide guests with envelopes. :)

We have never known HAL to leave envelopes in cabins. When tipping was 'optional', they made envelopes available at front office the same as now.

With auto tipping, anyone who wishes to tip addtional, no problem.

On our 11/11-18 cruise of New England Shores on the RCCL Jewel of the Seas, we received envelopes AND cards left on our beds the last night.

My big surprise was that we NEVER got the usual "last bill" under our door in the early morning OR the customer satisfaction review. The ship was docking early and we were all shuffled off by 8:30 or 9am since the Jewel was going into drydock that very day...perhaps that's why, but I'm still surprised.

We like to take our own small package of Thank You notes, blank inside. By the next to last day, we have a list of crew members and what it was they did to make our cruise special. We write personal notes to go along with the extra tips and enjoy passing out the envelopes, adding an extra thanks verbally. I just think it's nice to acknowledge specific efforts on their part.

We also like to write at least a brief note of thanks. It isn't ONLY about the money, IMO. It is about expressing our appreciation in both word and extra cash.

On one of our trips to Venice some years ago, we wished to thank the concierge for efforts he had made on our behalf before we arrived at his hotel and during our stay. We stopped in a nice little shop in Venice, purchased a note card and wrote a message, included some cash and DH and I handed it to him. He thanked us graciously and we went on our way and never thought of it again.

Some months later, we were reading Conde Nast Travel magazine and noticed an article re: concierges from various European hotels. In that article, 'our' concierge commented he always appreciates when guests thank him in the 'universally accepted way' but appreciates it just a bit more when guests use an envelope. He says it feels they are expressing that wee bit more respect for him when they go that extra little step....it feels more professional and 'smoother' to him.

When tipping was optional on HAL we would take a few envelopes with us and some 3x5 cards. Since they went to the auto-tip process we've stopped with the envelopes and tip out-of-hand to the staff we want to give just a little extra to like say the Crow's Nest staff. Personal comments are made at that time and these are usually the folks we call out by name in our feedback at the end of the cruise. On Celebrity I think we were actually given envelopes and cards for tipping but that was three years ago. In fact, I recall thinking at the time it was a bit pushy in some cases as a number of staff actually pressed their "business" cards in our hands the last day or so of the cruise in kind of a "remember me" conversation.

We like to take our own small package of Thank You notes, blank inside. By the next to last day, we have a list of crew members and what it was they did to make our cruise special. We write personal notes to go along with the extra tips and enjoy passing out the envelopes, adding an extra thanks verbally. I just think it's nice to acknowledge specific efforts on their part.

That's exactly what I do, too. I think it's nice to tell each person something in particular they did that was special to me.

I don't know if they have personel files, but if they do, something in writing can be added to them. That could help when it's time for promotions or a contract to a more desirable (to them) ship.

I very much like this idea! Thanks!

That's exactly what I do, too. I think it's nice to tell each person something in particular they did that was special to me.

I don't know if they have personel files, but if they do, something in writing can be added to them. That could help when it's time for promotions or a contract to a more desirable (to them) ship.

This is just a suggestion. I hate automatic tipping being billed to my account because it is so impersonable. The day before I depart the ship I have the charges removed from my statement. I like to write a note to each staff member that has made my cruise enjoyable and give them the tip in person. I don't always eat in the dining room, and now with 'as you wish dining' you don't always have the same waite staff. If I eat in the Lido for supper I like to tip the waiter when I finish my meal. That way, each staff member that has served me gets his own tip and doesn't have to share it with 20 other staff members like is done when they automatically bill it to your statement.

This is just a suggestion. I hate automatic tipping being billed to my account because it is so impersonable. The day before I depart the ship I have the charges removed from my statement. I like to write a note to each staff member that has made my cruise enjoyable and give them the tip in person. I don't always eat in the dining room, and now with 'as you wish dining' you don't always have the same waite staff. If I eat in the Lido for supper I like to tip the waiter when I finish my meal. That way, each staff member that has served me gets his own tip and doesn't have to share it with 20 other staff members like is done when they automatically bill it to your statement.

I hope you are aware that if you remove the auto tip from your account, any tips you do give to any crew must be turned into a pool and are shared.

If you leave auto tip in place and choose to tip some people an additional sum, they get to keep all of that.

The day before I depart the ship I have the charges removed from my statement. I like to write a note to each staff member that has made my cruise enjoyable and give them the tip in person.

We leave our autotips in place, and give a thank you note and cash to the crew members who've looked after us. The thank-you note mentions that this little "thank you" is in addition to the auto-tip, so the crew member has it in writing from us that we've auto-tipped.

As for not having to share cash, the concensus on this board is that if you remove the auto-tip, any tip you give any of the crew must be turned in and added to the tip pool.

Does HAL use these cards and I just don't remember? Do you use them?

Thanks in advance. I hate to appear gauche. :)

I think the "cards" are only given to you if you prepaid gratuities ... such as on a group cruise with the auto-tip is charged to you ahead of time. The reason for the card would be to let your service staff know that you tipped the set amount, even though your auto-tips were not charged as a part of your onboard bill.

I do recall getting these cards once ... on a Celebrity cruise ... where auto-tips were a part of the cruise fare because I was sailing as part of a group. I never got the cards on other cruises, though. I think the service staff gets notification as to who deleted or reduced auto-tips, so they know.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have never known HAL to leave envelopes in cabins. When tipping was 'optional', they made envelopes available at front office the same as now.

And that's because HAL has class.

I was shocked on my Carnival cruise last month. Our auto-tips were paid in advance, and since I thought the service was adequate ... nothing more ... I wasn't planning on tipping anything additional. Well, a day before the end of this four-day sailing, I get with my disembarkation stuff an envelope ... "A Little Something for your Matre'd," and a preprinted note telling me how hard he works and that I might want to put something in there for him." Guess where that envelope went?

Blue skies ...

--rita

No..... we were never a part of a group or ever pre-paid our tip and we got 'the cards' every time we sailed Celebrity.

Oh, okay. I only sailed Celebrity once ... as part of a group. I didn't realize everyone got them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I get with my disembarkation stuff an envelope ... "A Little Something for your Matre'd," and a preprinted note telling me how hard he works and that I might want to put something in there for him."

:eek:

Guess where that envelope went?

Tucked into the corner of your dresser mirror at home as a cherished memento of this cruise? :D

Along the same lines as RuthC, everyone I tip also gets a mention by name/job description on my comment card. Money is universally acceptable, but written praise on a comment card can enhance job security.

This is soooo true.

On the last night of a particular cruise, I mentioned to a lounge stewardess that I had singled her out on my comment card for her excellent work, and I hoped she didn't mind.

Didn't mind? :confused:She was ecstatic! :DShe practically did cartwheels as she hugged me with joy and thanks! It was as if I had given the best gift ever.

Wow. That was too easy.

Yes..... add another to the list of those who mention by name those who we think went out of their way to make our cruise more special. I think the mention, by name, in the comment sheets is very valued by crew as showing their supervisors they are doing their job well. Probably helps with getting re-hired, maybe with getting their assignment of choice for next contract, promotions........ maybe little extras like bonus time off? It means a lot to crew to be commended on those end of cruise surveys.

We also like to write at least a brief note of thanks. It isn't ONLY about the money, IMO. It is about expressing our appreciation in both word and extra cash.

On one of our trips to Venice some years ago, we wished to thank the concierge for efforts he had made on our behalf before we arrived at his hotel and during our stay. We stopped in a nice little shop in Venice, purchased a note card and wrote a message, included some cash and DH and I handed it to him. He thanked us graciously and we went on our way and never thought of it again.

Some months later, we were reading Conde Nast Travel magazine and noticed an article re: concierges from various European hotels. In that article, 'our' concierge commented he always appreciates when guests thank him in the 'universally accepted way' but appreciates it just a bit more when guests use an envelope. He says it feels they are expressing that wee bit more respect for him when they go that extra little step....it feels more professional and 'smoother' to him.

I like the idea of a note card with the tip. It makes it personal and adds just that special touch.

John

Archived