That freaky dress First-lady-to-be wore

happysinglemom

I don't think she added anything but a sweater - that cross-over design was part of the dress.

Lord, people will always want what some celebrity has, no matter how wacky it looks! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that. Actually she has a good rep for dressing well. This was a complete aberation for her - ergo the buzz. I expect the dress looks so different on her (as opposed to the model) because Michelle is such an amazon (she's just under 5'11"). She is a solid woman, and tall, and she is bound to look different in the same design, as those size 0 models that look like they'd break in a stiff breeze. :)

I am sure her PR person picked the dress out. 5'11" -that is not a bad height-Princess Diana was 5'10" and she always looked gorgeous.

Although not a size zero, she is defientley slim. I would be happy to be her size-unfortunatley I am sized more like Barbara Bush Senior! LOL! but, Hey she had good taste, I always liked her pearls!

BTW-my daughter is a zero and she HATES it-she is ALWAYS trying to gain weight.

I'm sure for the Inauguration and the Ball she will be wearing a Designers dress they all do!!!

She will also have a personal shopper when she becomes our "First Lady".

I feel she has class and we will see many nice outfits on her.

Who cares what either of them are wearing? It could be jeans and a sweatshirt for all any of us should care as long as the decisions' date=' choices and options chosen are good, solid, well-planned and give us all some hope.[/color']

I'm afraid I have to disagree with both the dress and the above comment. I think we absolutely should care what the president-to-be and his wife are wearing. Just like with any other professional job, it is important to dress appropriately. I'm sure if any of us walked into our doctor's office and found the doctor wearing a tank top and flip flops, we would certainly not be comfortable taking advice from him! Professional attire instills confidence in people and it sends the message that the person takes pride in themselves. In addition, anyone in the public eye should expect criticism if they plan on wearing a dress like THAT in public!:rolleyes: JMHO!!!

The main problem with the dress is the optical illusion created by the red part of the dress. In the night light and glow form artificial lighting, the red stood out eerily and the black part receded. The red had the unfortunate effect of seeming to make the area it covered appear large and prominent while the black parts receded. The red part took on a life of its own in that lighting.

The model was striking in the dress, but the proportions of red were changed for Michele Obama with the result in the stage lighting that the dress distorted Mrs. Obama's enviable figure.

I have full confidence that her inagural gown with be spectacular and far more becoming. I can't wait to see it.

Again this was 1 dress people

Hey, it's a fashion board where the good, the bad and the ugly are discussed.;)

I don't think anyone is acting as it's Mrs. Obama's first or last time in public. The point of the thread seems to be that she has ALWAYS dressed so beautifully, and I'm sure she will continue to do so, that everyone was surprised at something so different.

People may not have discussed her clothes before Nov. 4 but it's evident that they knew what and how she dressed in the past.:)

I am in the minority here but I thought she looked stunning other than the shoes. Maybe some Louboutin pumps would have been better:)

I personally have always loved the combination of red and black together. I thought the sweater looked more like a bolero/shrug and made the dress a bit more conservative, in keeping with the occasion. She is a young, vibrant woman and her choice of dress (IMHO) reflected this.

Additionally, the frumpy suit worn by Mrs. Biden is almost identical (except for color) to a suit I owned in the early 90's when I called on doctor's offices marketing the services of a company I worked for then. It looked dated on her...

Everyone has different tastes and that particular dress would not be my taste if I were choosing a dress. But, I think she looked lovely in it. And, her husband's grandmother had just passed away so this dress gives just a touch of color for someone in mourning. I thought the entire family looked very nice. JMHO.

Looks like the style was altered a bit. The red is not as dominant and seems to transition better in the original, although I can understand the non-seethrough bottom.;) I rather like the original but it still would not look right with a sweater/shrug.

20081105_michelledress_560x373.jpg?w=560&h=375

Looks like the style was altered a bit. The red is not as dominant and seems to transition better in the original, although I can understand the non-seethrough bottom.;) I rather like the original but it still would not look right with a sweater/shrug.

20081105_michelledress_560x373.jpg?w=560&h=375

This shows a bit of what I was talking about- the family was so nicely coordinated. Mr. Obama had an awesome red tie, one daughter in red and one in black and Mrs. in the red and black. Just a lovely family photo op.

I agree that it was much more of a celebration dress than the suit Mrs. Biden wore- I am just tired of suits and was glad to see the dresses back.

I never even noticed her shoes!:o

I only noticed because I completely LOATHE kitten heels:eek: and never think they look good on anyone. However, when looking at the pics again and realizing how tall she is I am sure she was compelled to wear low heels so as not appear taller than her husband--an antiquated notion IMHO but again in keeping with the occasion. I am lucky that my DH is about 5 inches taller than me so it is never an issue for me...

Thank God for kitten heels; otherwise I'd just be able to wear flats or low wedges. Foot problems prevent me from wearing almost anything much higher,

Ditto for me!! Love kitten heels.

Not to mention that she (Michelle) was probably on her feet for hours -- let's be a little realistic here......I don't think high heels would've been the best choice.

I mentioned to my husband last night that I didn't like the dress. I think it looks better on the model than it does on Michelle.

It is not the same dress as the one on the model - perhaps inspired by it, but not identical. The one on teh model looks more "clubby" , and Michelle's more conservative. The neckline and bodice are different (Modest scoop neck versus a deep V), as well as the skirt (The one on the model is sheer and more tapered). It appears the one Mrs. Obama is wearing doesn't have the unusual ribbon straps. Both use the red on black coloration pattern, but the placement and color coverage is different. They look like they are made of different fabrics (particularly because of the sheer skirt on the model).

This article ran in the Chicago Tribune this morning, discussing Michelle Obama's dress.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-election-questions-michelle-nov06,0,3342741.story

I thought this was a key part to the story:

Unfortunately, two key tweaks to the runway version of the dress, presumably made to take it from cocktail-sexy to first-ladylike, disrupted its intentions and architecture.

First, the lengthened bodice. Second, the cardigan Obama layered on top.

These additions took the dress' lines from intriguing to distracting. Viewed from various TV camera angles, its seams always looked slightly askew and confused.

Also replaced was the sheer, short hemline seen on the runway.

Unfortunately, two key tweaks to the runway version of the dress, presumably made to take it from cocktail-sexy to first-ladylike, disrupted its intentions and architecture.

First, the lengthened bodice. Second, the cardigan Obama layered on top.

These additions took the dress' lines from intriguing to distracting. Viewed from various TV camera angles, its seams always looked slightly askew and confused.

I

...... if it's worn like the model is wearing it, then it has a whole look and the design makes sense. The sweater, (that IS a sweater, isn't it?) just screws it up. It sure doesn't look like it was meant to be worn with a sweater. But without some coverup, it wouldn't have been appropriate for the occassion.

Very similar to what I said.;)

Now let's put this into perspective! Although it may not have been the best choice for someone who might want to camouflage large hips it is exciting and fashionable. Look at what we have to contend with up here in the cold. Our First Lady (the blond on the left) wore this little number with the stilettos to an economic summit dinner. The other lady is the Australian First Lady and although she was dressed more appropriately for dinner she looked like she had on her mother's church dress.

There that felt good!

ic7csg.jpg

Now let's put this into perspective! Although it may not have been the best choice for someone who might want to camouflage large hips it is exciting and fashionable. Look at what we have to contend with up here in the cold. Our First Lady (the blond on the left) wore this little number with the stilettos to an economic summit dinner. The other lady is the Australian First Lady and although she was dressed more appropriately for dinner she looked like she had on her mother's church dress.

There that felt good!

ic7csg.jpg

No disrespect intended, but the Canadian First Lady needs some serious schooling in how to match her clothing to occasion. She is very attractive, but looks like she is ready for a festive party or night on the town (particularly because of the revealing neckline and strappy, high heeled sandals). He outfit cries "Look at me!" and detracts from the focus of the event.

The Autralian first lady has the right idea -although her outfit may be a little dated (the style of the top reflects the trends of a few years ago), she clearly understands the seriousness of the occasion and has appropriately chosen her clothing (down to the sensible but stylish slingback, mid heel pumps). She understands that it is better to err on the conservative side in intercultural situations.

Archived