That freaky dress First-lady-to-be wore

happysinglemom

I have a pair of med heeled orange suede summer sandals that were so comfortable, I bought them in hot pink! :)

Ha, ha, ha...have you beat there.;)

They're not for everyone but I love my Jack Rogers sandals and have them in light pink, hot pink, green and turquoise.:D

What??! A size 6??!! I'm a 4/6 and God help me if I have a derrier like that! Come on, that dress does nothing for her pear shape. She usually chooses some nice things but she needs to take the attention away from all the junk in the trunk!;)

She looked skinny as a stick to me-the dress did nothing for her-but it certainly did not make her look overweight. If anyhting she looked almost too thin for her 5'11" frame.

Agree. She's more like a size 12.

In REAL LIFE possibly- but the dress made her too skinny looking. BTW, Size 12 for 5'11" woman is not overweight. Yes I am overweight in that size (and defientely look "fluffy") but I am barely 5' 4". Even back when I was a size 8-10 I was far from slim at my height. I would have to be a 4 to look as slim as her.

Which reminds me of my daughter who is just under 5' 1". She wears a zero, weighs 85 pounds, and she ALWAYS has to have pants hemmed-like 7 or 8 inches. She is still a little too thin and should be at least a 2. No one who is 5' 8" should be a zero, they would have to be annorexic, but yet they make pants that small to fit someone that tall.

You know, you gals need to go the the "Post a picture of your dress" thread-I don't see anyone who looks exactly gorgeous there-unless it is the airbrushed model advertizing the dress someone bought. LOL!

and if you look at my avator-I defientely have no room to talk, because the 99.9% of you look much better than me.

I read this thread with interest as well as amusement. :D

As a Mom of 3 young daughters, I think Mrs. Obama may have made her color choice with her children in mind, or vice a versa based on one outfit, maybe hers. They all wore black and red. She is the mother of younger children, making her too a younger First Lady. One that we have not seen in many years, Chelsea was a teen I believe when Clinton came into office.

That being said; I did not care for the dress, maybe it would have been better in blue, but hey.... it was her day too, and her call. Because behind every great man...

I also suspect that Michelle may not be following trends, but making them. My favorite 1st lady of fashion was undoubtedly; Jackie O. Next, I would say Laura. But when it comes down to important and revelant innovations in our country that has stood the test of time; Eleanor Rossevelt.

It will be more interesting now to see the fashions on Inauguration day. While she is an automonous woman, I do hope for better in fashion, and ease on the eyeballs. :p

She, like all other 1st Ladies before her has big shoes to fill, and I do like the Kitty pumps.

P.S. We're on the waiting list for Inauguration tickets, but not holding my breath. (I've got some fashion ideas for lil ole me). We do plan to take the children to the parade here in nearby DC.

Ha, ha, ha...have you beat there.;)

They're not for everyone but I love my Jack Rogers sandals and have them in light pink, hot pink, green and turquoise.:D

I like the Jackie Rogers sandals and have them in green. (i have everything in green! :D)

She looked skinny as a stick to me-the dress did nothing for her-but it certainly did not make her look overweight. If anyhting she looked almost too thin for her 5'11" frame.

Well, I gotta disagree with you on this one. Did you see her on Jay Leno sitting with her skirt riding up as she sat? She's a big girl. She not overweight for her large frame, and is attractive, but she's definitely got a big butt and thunder thighs.

I guessed she might be a size 12, but with her height, it might be more of a 14.

Skinny, she's not.

I read this thread with interest as well as amusement. :D

Same reason the rest of us read it. :)

But when it comes down to important and revelant innovations in our country that has stood the test of time; Eleanor Rossevelt.

I agree. Eleanor Roosevelt is often overlooked.

It will be more interesting now to see the fashions on Inauguration day. While she is an automonous woman, I do hope for better in fashion, and ease on the eyeballs. :p

I don't see Michelle at autonomous.

I hope she has Maria Pinta make her gown, who's been making her clothes while she's been Mrs. Senator on the Presidential Campaign trail.

She, like all other 1st Ladies before her has big shoes to fill, and I do like the Kitty pumps.

Well she's got big feet, so it shouldn't be hard to fill the big shoes. :D:D

But I don't like kitten heels on her.

Well, I gotta disagree with you on this one. Did you see her on Jay Leno sitting with her skirt riding up as she sat? She's a big girl. She not overweight for her large frame, and is attractive, but she's definitely got a big butt and thunder thighs.

I guessed she might be a size 12, but with her height, it might be more of a 14.

Skinny, she's not.

And I gotta agree with you on this one.;)

Princess Diana was 5'10/5'11' (driver's license said 5'11'). David Sassoon, one of her favorite British designers, said he could make an outfit for her at the last minute, even take one off the rack, because she was a perfect size 10.

34062_large.jpg

Hmmmmm...maybe a 14. ;)

610x.jpg

And I gotta agree with you on this one.;)

Princess Diana was 5'10/5'11' (driver's license said 5'11'). David Sassoon, one of her favorite British designers, said he could make an outfit for her at the last minute, even take one off the rack, because she was a perfect size 10.

Hmmmmm...maybe a 14. ;)

Keep in mind an English size 10 is not a north american size 10.

I'm the same height as both Princess Diana and Michelle Obama and I know when my pear-shaped figure weighed 200 lbs I wore a size 16 comfortably, some styles a size 14. Just looking at Mrs. Obama, I'd guesstimate she is a size 10 or 12. I'd lean towards the size 10 since I know tv does add weight (it's not a myth, I've seen people I know on tv). She's a solid, sturdy woman, and she looks healthy and happy with herself. That's going to make her a wonderful role model for young women, I think, in more ways than just her fashion choices.

What??! A size 6??!! I'm a 4/6 and God help me if I have a derrier like that! Come on, that dress does nothing for her pear shape. She usually chooses some nice things but she needs to take the attention away from all the junk in the trunk!;)

Skinny, she's not.

She's not skinny. In the African American community it is called THICK and it is embraced. I have yet to meet an African American woman who tries to take attention away from their butt. Thunder thighs and big behinds are very much welcomed.

On another note- 5 different people can wear a size 12. And they could all be of different height, weight, and curve distribution. I don't know what size she is. All I know is that the girl looks good.

A UK 10 is about a US 6. But I know what you're saying

She is probably a US 10 which is a UK 12. I also don't think this is the forum to be commenting on the first lady elect's clothes. It has nothing to do with cruising and is mean spirited in my opinion.

A UK 10 is about a US 6. But I know what you're saying.

It can get confusing depending on which chart you reference.:D

I wear a couple of sizes depending on the manufacturer...some I like better than others. ;) :D

l

I don't know what size she is. All I know is that the girl looks good.

Agree, she's a beautiful woman.

Maybe some will see beyond the "stick figures are beautiful" mentality.

I wear a couple of sizes depending on the manufacturer...some I like better than others. ;) :D

I agree. One of my favourite UK stores is Monsoon, but I give up ordering on line, I have to try them on.

She is probably a US 10 which is a UK 12. I also don't think this is the forum to be commenting on the first lady elect's clothes. It has nothing to do with cruising and is mean spirited in my opinion.

MANY posts on this board do not actually have anything to do with cruising.;)

I don't think anyone is being mean spirited in their posts. Everyone has complimented Mrs. Obama on her choice of clothes up until THE DRESS and were just confused about something that was so different for her.

Skinny, she's not.

Nope I never watch Jay Leno.

Personaly if she is 5'11" I am glad she is not a 6. That is too small for that height. After all, I know you have said you are that size and you are 5 inches shorter. Whereas you are slim in that size-think what you would look in that size stretched out another 5 inches-you would look like a stick.

I always wondered what size Princess Diana was. I know a couple of times in th eearly years of her marriage to Charles, she was a little too thin-but later on she looked very attractive. Do you know what size she was when she died. She looked really great at that time.

l

Agree, she's a beautiful woman.

Maybe some will see beyond the "stick figures are beautiful" mentality.

The better the brand -the smaller the size I wear. cheapo brands a 14- upscale brands a 10-but nevetheless-no matter what brand I wear-or the "size" listed in the garment-by doctor's charts I am 25 pounds overweight. No wonder I look "fluffy".

I loved the purple dress Michelle wore on "60 Minutes" last night, Sunday, November 16, 2008.

In a way this topic is about cruising because we all wear clothes on cruises. Michelle's choices have all been dresses that would be beautifully suited to main dining room and premium restaurants on cruise ships.

I read a poll at Slate dot com that said 65% of women polled did not care for Michelle's election night choice. If a dress is that reviled, it is fair to discuss why, regardless of whom is wearing the dress. It did please 35% of those polled, however, so it just goes to show how much personal taste has to do with what we like to see others wear.

Keep in mind an English size 10 is not a north american size 10.

The better the brand -the smaller the size I wear.

I was referring to the conversion charts from US to UK sizing.

Yep, I know that about brands, that's one of the reasons I like some better than others.

You know, you gals need to go the the "Post a picture of your dress" thread-I don't see anyone who looks exactly gorgeous there-unless it is the airbrushed model advertizing the dress someone bought. LOL!

and if you look at my avator-I defientely have no room to talk, because the 99.9% of you look much better than me.

Okay, I've posted a picture on the above thread (page 101) and that dress is a size 6 and I am 5'7" 127 lbs. True, the photo could be a bit clearer or closer but it just shows how photos add a few pounds to your frame.

Archived