Am I crazy

cgoingmom

After the long flight from LA to Sydney I want to catch a plane the same day we land and go to Cairns for 4 nights and then return to Sydney for 3 nights before we board the Star to return to LA. My DH thinks I'm Crazy but I would rather go ahead with the 3 additional hours since we are already at the airport. What do you think?:confused:

LA to Sydney thats not a long flight! I kinda agree with you to just keep going but I think you might need to change to the domestic terminal which could be a lengthy procedure. Also customs.

I think it depepnds on what time of day do you arrive in Sydney?

LA to Sydney thats not a long flight! I kinda agree with you to just keep going but I think you might need to change to the domestic terminal which could be a lengthy procedure. Also customs.

Our son flew in to Sydney from Santiago last week and we met him at the domestic terminal for a coffee before for his next flight within an hour of landing ... and that was at peak arrival time ... not always that quick but fairly typical. If you are flying in on Qantas (or one of its partners) and then flying to Cairns on Qantas, you can use Qantas' airside transfer bus ... makes things a lot easier and quicker than having to transfer by shuttle or train.

I also say go for it!

Cheers

Bob

After the long flight from LA to Sydney I want to catch a plane the same day we land and go to Cairns for 4 nights and then return to Sydney for 3 nights before we board the Star to return to LA. My DH thinks I'm Crazy but I would rather go ahead with the 3 additional hours since we are already at the airport. What do you think?:confused:

Hi - We are flying into Sydney from Canada, spending 1 night in Sydney, and then flying to Cairns the next day for 8 days. Then flying back to Sydney for 3 nights pre-cruise.

We want to be able to store our luggage at the Hotel and only take a small bag each to Cairns.

That's how I would do it.

Have fun.

You also have the option of making the connection through Brisbane. Though I haven't looked at the schedule. Personally, I would rather do what you suggest rather than spend a sleepy stressed day in Sydney and fly out the next day. When I fly I like to keep on going, I may be tired, but airports and planes are at least pretty well known environments and don't present a lot of What do we do, where do we go and how do we get there moments.

Are you on the Star October 24,2009, SYD/LAX? We are planning to do just as you suggest but we currently have hotel reservations for one night prior to 4 nights on the GBR on the Coral Princess II and then one more night in Cairns before flying to Sydney for 3 nights prior to boarding the Star. We haven't made our plane reservations but are now thinking about going a couple days earlier and spending more time in the Cairns area. Are you flying Qantas? I would like to book the flight that leaves 3 hours after arriving in Sydney but am not sure if this is enough time to change terminals.

Do any of you know if the bus to the other terminal is wheelchair accessible. Actually, my husband could get on the bus if there is a place to stow the folding wheelchair. Would we be claiming our luggage in Sydney and rechecking it to Cairns? I expect my best bet for these answers would be a call to Quantas, but thought some of you may have firsthand knowledge.

Connie:)

Hi - We are flying into Sydney from Canada, spending 1 night in Sydney, and then flying to Cairns the next day for 8 days. Then flying back to Sydney for 3 nights pre-cruise.

We want to be able to store our luggage at the Hotel and only take a small bag each to Cairns.

That's how I would do it.

Have fun.

You mentioned that you wanted the hotel to store your luggage. We had originally planned to do exactly as you are doing but then found that we could fly on to Cairns the same day, check into our hotel, The Sofitel Reef Hotel, for one night and they will hold our luggage while we go on the cruise of the GBR. We will then come back to this hotel for one night before flying to Sydney. You didn't mention what your plans were in Cairns for 8 days, but a hotel there would probably hold your luggage.

Oh no....I just notice I put the dreaded "U" in Qantas. Someone is bound to get me for that one.

After the long flight from LA to Sydney I want to catch a plane the same day we land and go to Cairns for 4 nights and then return to Sydney for 3 nights before we board the Star to return to LA. My DH thinks I'm Crazy but I would rather go ahead with the 3 additional hours since we are already at the airport. What do you think?
I don't think it's crazy. It's not a particularly long flight from LA to Sydney - it's only about 14 hours. I regularly go to Wellington from London - usually 12 hours flying + 2 hours transit in Bangkok + 8 hours flying + 3 hours transit in Sydney + 3 hours flying - and then go out for dinner after arriving. Piece of cake. ;)

There is one thing that could have made it easier for you, which is taking a flight from the international terminal in Sydney (or Melbourne) to Cairns. This means that you would not have to clear customs and immigration in Sydney, but would be able to do both of those in Cairns. Unfortunately, I can't see any such flights in the timetable at present.

So if you go via Sydney, you will have to clear immigration there, collect your bags, and clear customs. However, the transfer to the domestic terminal is pretty straightforward if your domestic flight is with Qantas. There is a Qantas transfer facility in the international terminal, where you re-check your bags for the domestic flight. Then you take the free Qantas bus to the domestic terminal (Terminal 3) for your onward flight.

You also have the option of making the connection through Brisbane.
This is certainly possible, but personally I think I would prefer a connection in Sydney. As I understand it (although I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong), transferring from the international terminal to the domestic terminal in Brisbane is more hassle than the same thing in Sydney.

We haven't made our plane reservations but are now thinking about going a couple days earlier and spending more time in the Cairns area. Are you flying Qantas? I would like to book the flight that leaves 3 hours after arriving in Sydney but am not sure if this is enough time to change terminals.
Three hours should be fine. And if you miss your domestic flight because your Qantas inbound is late in to Sydney, I'm sure that Qantas would look after you.

There is a Qantas sale on at the moment for Australian domestics. This is a good time to get an idea of what the cheapest likely fares are for this route. I believe that the sale doesn't cover your travel date, so if you want to book now for then, you will probably have to pay a non-sale fare. You can work out for yourself whether the likely saving is worth the time and hassle of waiting for the sale and in the meantime checking whether your flights show any signs of selling out the cheap seats. But there are a lot of Qantas sales on at the moment, so sitting on your hands and waiting may pay some dividends in the form of cheaper fares. This is my current strategy for buying Australian domestics.

You mentioned that you wanted the hotel to store your luggage. We had originally planned to do exactly as you are doing but then found that we could fly on to Cairns the same day, check into our hotel, The Sofitel Reef Hotel, for one night and they will hold our luggage while we go on the cruise of the GBR. We will then come back to this hotel for one night before flying to Sydney. You didn't mention what your plans were in Cairns for 8 days, but a hotel there would probably hold your luggage.

Oh no....I just notice I put the dreaded "U" in Qantas. Someone is bound to get me for that one.

For the amount of money we are saving by not bringing checked luggage on our flight to Cairns, our Sydney Hotel is paid for.

We are doing a live-aboard Diving Trip on the GBR. Doing 9 dives in total. We really want to keep things easy and not bring all that luggage to Cairns. Plus, storing luggage at the Sydney Airport is ridiculously expensive.

Also, we are just too excited about seeing Sydney to fly out right away.

S.

This is why I love this board. :) What great responses. We will only have carryons since we are sending our big luggage directly to the ship. So we will still have to clear customs but we won't have to claim any baggage. We haven't booked our flights yet. Do you recommend Qantas?

Yes we are on the Star on October 24th. We were cancelled on both the Sun and the Dawn so this trip is our "third time is a charm" trip. We hope to meet you on the cruise!

Thank you all so much for your input.

If you haven't booked yet, you could fly LAX-BNE (a bit shorter than the LAX-SYD flight) ... then it's only a 2 hour flight to Cairns.

The procedure at BNE International, assuming you are flying with QANTAS, is:

1. Clear Customs, with your baggage
  2. Go to the "QANTAS Transfer Desk", just outside Customs, and book your luggage through to Cairns
  3. Hop on the Train (at the door) and go to the Domestic Terminal (free for flight passengers)
  4. Hop on your flight to Cairns
  5. After your holiday, fly back to SYD

Are you on the Star October 24,2009, SYD/LAX? We are planning to do just as you suggest but we currently have hotel reservations for one night prior to 4 nights on the GBR on the Coral Princess II and then one more night in Cairns before flying to Sydney for 3 nights prior to boarding the Star. We haven't made our plane reservations but are now thinking about going a couple days earlier and spending more time in the Cairns area. Are you flying Qantas? I would like to book the flight that leaves 3 hours after arriving in Sydney but am not sure if this is enough time to change terminals.

Do any of you know if the bus to the other terminal is wheelchair accessible. Actually, my husband could get on the bus if there is a place to stow the folding wheelchair. Would we be claiming our luggage in Sydney and rechecking it to Cairns? I expect my best bet for these answers would be a call to Quantas, but thought some of you may have firsthand knowledge.

Qantas should take care of the bags to Cairns (pronounce like CANS) Coral Princess II would be to Townsville? We did the reverse in April and had a fantastic time - Note it is not easy if wheelchair but your cabin will likely be on the same deck as the aquatic activities and dining; however some of the activities are up two levels. There was a lady with mobility issues and they helped her it is just a small ship. . .

Qantas should take care of the bags to Cairns (pronounce like CANS) Coral Princess II would be to Townsville? We did the reverse in April and had a fantastic time - Note it is not easy if wheelchair but your cabin will likely be on the same deck as the aquatic activities and dining; however some of the activities are up two levels. There was a lady with mobility issues and they helped her it is just a small ship. . .

Thanks moyaroo....We are lucky, in that, Tom can climb stairs with my help. He will definitely get his exercise and yes, our stateroom is on the same deck as the dining and aquatic activities. They have assigned us the stateroom next to the dining room door. I'm happy that you had a fantastic time and now we are really excited about this part of our trip. We have been to Australia before but not to the GBR. As far as the bags with Qantas, we are learning, with every cruise, how to travel lighter so we should be OK. Thanks again, Connie:)

All the internal airport ones are low-floor as far as I know; certainly I haven't seen any others. If switching airlines and going via the public buses between terminals (400) about 50% of those are, and they are noted in the timetable. A third option would be the train link which has lifts and ramps so again wouldn't be a problem.

For the amount of money we are saving by not bringing checked luggage on our flight to Cairns, our Sydney Hotel is paid for.
Are you flying Qantas? As an international arrival (even if on a separate ticket), you would have a domestic baggage allowance of two pieces per person. And extra pieces would cost you only AUD 22 per piece. At those rates, it would be a lot of luggage to add up to the cost of a hotel.

We flew last December LAX to Sydney and then directly on to Carins. This was easy and the transfer to the Sydeny / Carins flight was not a problem. We stayed in the GBR area for 4 nights before heading back to Sydney to board the Sapphire Princess. The only down fall was we had our luggage with us and we flew "domestic" from Carins to Syndey and we had to go by the domestic luggage rules. We were traveling for 21 days so each of us had 2 pieces of luggage and a carry on. Well this is what happened to us, we were each charged $150 for our luggage. It was very expensive for us. There were 5 of us traveling and we were able to talk to a supervisor who grouped us all togther for $500 total. Still an expensive lesson. Watch the weight of your luggage and amount of luggage.

The only down fall was we had our luggage with us and we flew "domestic" from Carins to Syndey and we had to go by the domestic luggage rules. We were traveling for 21 days so each of us had 2 pieces of luggage and a carry on. Well this is what happened to us, we were each charged $150 for our luggage.
This is a good lesson about not looking only at the headline price of the ticket, but at the total cost of travel (if you are in a position to choose which airline to fly with).

We did this exact thing this past June. We arrived in Sydney early in the morning on a Friday from LAX. We were through immigration and customs and had our bags in less than an hour. We arrived on an 80% full UA 747. Because I booked the cheapo - no refund domestic tickets online from Qantas for the SYD -CNS segment and was unsure of the time to process in Sydney, we had a 6 plus hour layover as I played it safe to protect me if there ws a delay.

It turns out we were permitted to use the Qantas terminal tranfer shuttle service and QF was able to get us space on an earlier flight 9 - 9:30 or so to CNS with no extra charges and no baggage fees. We were in Cairns and at our hotel in Palm Cove for a late lunch around 2 PM.

As another poster said - go for it! North Qld is great!

I must say that we too have arrived at SYD on an international and have been transferred to an earlier QANTAS domestic flight. Not guaranteed ... depends on loadings and time of day etc

So I also would always play it safe and plan a longish transit time in SYD ... with the hope that, if we were on time, we might get a free earlier departure.

Archived