Advantages to booking while onboard?

kywildcatfanone

If the wine is coming from Princess, then there's obviously some sort of promotion going on and you are most likely getting the extra on board credit because of the promotion and not from the FCC's. Princess doesn't hand out wine for no reason.

We received a mailing advertising the cruise but there was no mention of the freebees there. I imagine that is the reason for the extra OBC and wine though. That would explain why the TA was originally told that we would receive a $25 OBC before she knew about the FCC.

I think we'll all be waiting to see how this turns out and you can bet we are hoping that you end up with that great OBC and a better than average bottle of wine.

Thanks! We do too! I think Pia solved the OBC conflict for me - a special promotion. It makes sense. Of course, online it shows no OBC at all. :confused:

We were on the Crown earlier this year and DH and myself put down $100 deposit each for a future cruise. We're now sailing on the CB in January 09 and each of us are getting $100 OBC. We're doing a B2B so actually are only entitled to a $50 OBC as we booked as two separate cruises, but for whatever reason they applied another $50 to the second leg of the cruise.

Since you booked two cruises, likely one FCC was applied to each cruise. One FCC for a cruise will get the OBC to both cabin occupants.

So, one of your FCCs got you $25+$25 for the first cruise and the other FCC got you $25+$25 for the second cruise. Total = $100.

By the way, when on the first leg of your B2B, the purser's statement will only show the first $25 OBC on each of your accounts. Don't panic, the 2nd $25 for each of you will show up on your statements once the 2nd leg starts.

In all the cruising and schmoozing that we've done, I've only used FCC's once, onboard the Oosterdam and it got so screwed up, and it was such a nightmare to straighten out, we had to cancel and rebook the cruise!

I've never done it on Princess. And, I'm so "gun-shy" about going to the onboard TA and re-living the nightmare that the HAL's TA created for that one cruise. I think I'll just wait until I get home. I always get OBC's and wine anyway, I'm happy!

Maybe I'll venture out next week, while onboard the Sapphire and see what kind of trouble I can get into with their TA. ;)

Roz, I don't know how other cruise lines work, but Princess doesn't require that you actually book a cruise when you arrange a FCC. You just indicate your intention to book a cruise with Princess within the next 4 years. This costs $100/FCC. This serves as your deposit for any cruise that you wish to book through your own TA in the future. You pay no further deposit when you actually book. It also assures you of the OBC (see Pia's earlier post). If you don't book a cruise within the 4 year period you can get your money back. It is really a win-win situation if you plan to cruise on Princess again.

In all the cruising and schmoozing that we've done, I've only used FCC's once, onboard the Oosterdam and it got so screwed up, and it was such a nightmare to straighten out, we had to cancel and rebook the cruise!

I've never done it on Princess. And, I'm so "gun-shy" about going to the onboard TA and re-living the nightmare that the HAL's TA created for that one cruise. I think I'll just wait until I get home. I always get OBC's and wine anyway, I'm happy!

Maybe I'll venture out next week, while onboard the Sapphire and see what kind of trouble I can get into with their TA. ;)

Roz, you don't even have to meet with the onboard Future Cruise TA. You can go by their office and pick up a form for the FCC's, fill it out and drop it in the nearby drop box. A few days later you'll find your letters from the FCTA confirming your FCC's. You don't have to book any specific cruise. If you don't use your FCC's within 4 years (probably not going to happen :D ) Princess will credit whatever credit card you used for the full amount of the FCC.

It's really a win-win situation. We've done it three times and are now choosing our fourth FCC cruise. We go the first day of the cruise, fill out the info, then go have fun :) !

Roz, you don't even have to meet with the onboard Future Cruise TA. You can go by their office and pick up a form for the FCC's, fill it out and drop it in the nearby drop box. A few days later you'll find your letters from the FCTA confirming your FCC's. You don't have to book any specific cruise. If you don't use your FCC's within 4 years (probably not going to happen :D ) Princess will credit whatever credit card you used for the full amount of the FCC.

It's really a win-win situation. We've done it three times and are now choosing our fourth FCC cruise. We go the first day of the cruise, fill out the info, then go have fun :) !

I have never even spoken to a future cruise rep onboard, we always just fill out the form and drop it in the box. Takes about two minutes and you are done. All information and receipt is delivered to your stateroom (usually) within 24 hours. No need to stand in line, or wait for your turn to speak with them. I agree, they make it very simple to order as many FCC's as you wish and with the four years before they expire, there isn't a chance they won't be used. We like the lowered deposit (and of coarse the shipboard credit, which I might add can be combined with other shipboard credits). You can't loose when purchasing and booking with FCC's. ;)

Roz, I don't know how other cruise lines work, but Princess doesn't require that you actually book a cruise when you arrange a FCC. You just indicate your intention to book a cruise with Princess within the next 4 years. This costs $100/FCC. This serves as your deposit for any cruise that you wish to book through your own TA in the future. You pay no further deposit when you actually book. It also assures you of the OBC (see Pia's earlier post). If you don't book a cruise within the 4 year period you can get your money back. It is really a win-win situation if you plan to cruise on Princess again.

Just to clarify, each FCC will take the place of a deposit for one passenger. If there will be 2 people in the cabin, you'll need 2 FCCs or you could use a single FCC for one person and pay a reduced $100 deposit (cash or credit card) for the other person.

If I'm not mistaken, using an FCC also gets you an OBC for each of the first two passenger in a cabin. If you use 2 FCC for a cruise (instead of 1 FCC and $100 deposit), you'll still only get one OBC for each of the 2 passengers. Isn't that correct? If so, using 2 FCCs for a single cruise seems to "waste" an OBC that could be used for another cruise...

Paul

Paul

Just to clarify, each FCC will take the place of a deposit for one passenger. If there will be 2 people in the cabin, you'll need 2 FCCs or you could use a single FCC for one person and pay a reduced $100 deposit (cash or credit card) for the other person.

If I'm not mistaken, using an FCC also gets you an OBC for each of the first two passenger in a cabin. If you use 2 FCC for a cruise (instead of 1 FCC and $100 deposit), you'll still only get one OBC for each of the 2 passengers. Isn't that correct? If so, using 2 FCCs for a single cruise seems to "waste" an OBC that could be used for another cruise...

Paul

I don't know about that. We used 2 FCCs for this cruise and we each received the OBC.

But what if it's 2 single people staying in the same room? Surely if they each used an FCC as their deposit and paid seperately for the cruise then they each would get their own OBC, right??

But what if it's 2 single people staying in the same room? Surely if they each used an FCC as their deposit and paid seperately for the cruise then they each would get their own OBC, right??

You are correct. But even if one of the two singles uses and FCC, (say the second passenger doesn't have one), the second passenger can pay the $100 on their CC and also get the shipboard credit even though they didn't use an FCC to book. As long as they are both staying in the same stateroom. One FCC is good for the first two passengers in a stateroom, the second just pays the $100 (same as the price for the FCC) and gets all the same benefits.

Another advantage to booking while on board is that you can reserve a specific cabin on a future cruise (that's on your wish list) more sooner than later. You can always cancel later if you decide not to follow through with the cruise. Meanwhile, your preferred cabin or location is locked in.

Another advantage to booking while on board is that you can reserve a specific cabin on a future cruise (that's on your wish list) more sooner than later. You can always cancel later if you decide not to follow through with the cruise. Meanwhile, your preferred cabin or location is locked in.

Exactly, and as I might have said earlier, you have the opportunity to speak directly to a person that has great insight as to which cabin might be the best choice overall.

I don't know about that. We used 2 FCCs for this cruise and we each received the OBC.

They are correct; you only needed to use one and pay the additional $100 deposit. However, I always use two because I like to keep things even and I always have multiple FCC's on hand.

• 1 month later...
While we have several FFC's in U.S. Funds, we cannot use them against bookings we would like to make in Canadian dollars.

We have just returned from the Royal Princess cruise (Ft. Lauderdale-Ecuador-Return) and are pleased to report that while aboard, we again raised this question with the Future Cruise representative aboard. She in turn checked with head office and our US currency deposits were recognized as valid for this cruise, which was booked and paid for in Canadian funds. As a result we were credited the full SBC and the original deposit refunded to the card account used in payment. A pleasant surprise and a much-appreciated gesture on Princess' part.

As a financial advisor, I feel that I must chime in. Putting a deposit down on a future cruise may or not be the best financial decision. Are you paying with cash or a credit card? If paying by credit card, will you pay the balance off right away? If you don't, then the interest charges could very well outweigh any advantage of the shipboard credits.

If you are paying with cash the answer depends on how long until your next cruise and what you could be doing with the money instead. Could you be earning interest?

It's kind of like getting a big tax refund in April...you're giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan. So in this case, you are giving the cruise lines your money with only onboard credits to show for it. Everyone needs to do the math to figure out if it is a good deal or not.

Ok, enough financial advice.......I'm ready to cruise!:)

As a financial advisor, I feel that I must chime in. Putting a deposit down on a future cruise may or not be the best financial decision. Are you paying with cash or a credit card? If paying by credit card, will you pay the balance off right away? If you don't, then the interest charges could very well outweigh any advantage of the shipboard credits.

If you are paying with cash the answer depends on how long until your next cruise and what you could be doing with the money instead. Could you be earning interest?

It's kind of like getting a big tax refund in April...you're giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan. So in this case, you are giving the cruise lines your money with only onboard credits to show for it. Everyone needs to do the math to figure out if it is a good deal or not.

Ok, enough financial advice.......I'm ready to cruise!:)

come on now...we are only talking about $100 per person deposit, not making a life-long financial decision......and since you raised the point, the calculations need to compare that interest on the $100 to having to pay a deposit of 30% or 50% of the cruise if you did not have an FCC. Get out your calculator if you wish...but I'll do the $100 FCC any day.

I love this concept but mostly just see it as a way to get reduce deposit. In many cases you can get the OBC through a discount TA when booking in advance. I got $50 cabin credit for my inside + bottle of wine + free photo when I booked CB for Feb.

I got that too; TA credit, wine and photo. But I also got my FCC credit and my shareholder credit. That a lot of extra spendable $$$.

I bought my cruise for this Jan 02 on Grand last March on CB.I just bought a future cruise without specifying which one .I did have to give the names of those involved .I figured my older son and I would travel again .

I did not have to pay anything until final payment that's a plus .The future cruise served as deposit .It is now OBC another plus .When prices went down before final payment I was able to take advantage of that .

If you like a company and think you will travel on them again it is a good choice

Although I have another purchased already-bought last July I will buy another one .After all you have 5 years to use it

Michele

I bought my cruise for this Jan 02 on Grand last March on CB.I just bought a future cruise without specifying which one .I did have to give the names of those involved .I figured my older son and I would travel again .

I did not have to pay anything until final payment that's a plus .The future cruise served as deposit .It is now OBC another plus .When prices went down before final payment I was able to take advantage of that .

If you like a company and think you will travel on them again it is a good choice

Although I have another purchased already-bought last July I will buy another one .After all you have 5 years to use it

Michele

Four years, not five.

The simple math is that the $100. deposit on a future cruise was made about two years ago. Princess had our money for those two whole years. But for that deposited amount, they gave us $300. on our SBA. Can anyone tell us where we can get 300% on our money in a two year time spread and still get the original $100 deposit applied to the booking? We don't think so...

Although FCC's are great and they allow the cheaper deposit and the "locking in" of the stateroom that you desire, it's just one more thing that I don't necessarily want to do while enjoying my free time onboard!

An FCC does not lock in a stateroom, a booking does. You can, of course, use your FCC to make a booking.

It does not take much "free time" to fill out the FCC form and drop it in a box near the future cruise consultant's office. About two minutes at the most.

Archived