Pre Stay in Copenhagen?

calvincleo

We are booked to do a family cruise of the Baltics next summer (Princess-Scandanavia and Russia). The cruise departs from Copenhagen and we are trying to decide if we should do a one night pre-stay to look around this city. The one night stay will cost us about $1000 (!) so we are trying to figure out if it will be worth it or if we should just hope the flight arrives early in the day and if so, just look about a little before boarding. Does anyone know if there is much to see in Copenhagen? Happy to hear opinions

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone is different, BUT..we have done 3 European cruises, including the Baltic from Copenhagen. We always try to stay 2 nights pre-cruise to get used to the time change and enjoy the place we are (which is also part of the cruise). Copenhagen is a nice city to walk around in and get a pleasant introduction to the Baltic cruise. We stayed at the Hotel Tiffany and it gave us easy access to the sites. We figure that if you are paying all of the money for flights and cruise, you may as well enjoy the extra time and not be worrying about a late flight/connection or lost luggage. Enjoy your cruise. The Baltic is a great place.

First off do not plan to fly in the day of your cruise. Why, because if the plane is cancelled or delayed you could miss your cruise. And, because you will feel jet lagged. Copenhagen is a lovely city. I would arrive early. The Marriott is a nice hotel.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
We are booked to do a family cruise of the Baltics next summer (Princess-Scandanavia and Russia). The cruise departs from Copenhagen and we are trying to decide if we should do a one night pre-stay to look around this city. The one night stay will cost us about $1000 (!) so we are trying to figure out if it will be worth it or if we should just hope the flight arrives early in the day and if so, just look about a little before boarding. Does anyone know if there is much to see in Copenhagen? Happy to hear opinions

We got the Marriot last May at $155 with Priceline ! Copenhagen is a beautiful city to visit by yourself ! Go to the Information close to Tivoli or the train Station,ask for advise and you could spend hours just wandering around !

Copenhagen is one of the great cosmopolitan cities of the world. Definitely fly in ahead of the cruise. They have three HOHO bus routes all leaving from beside the City Hall not far from the Central Station. www.city-sightseeing.com One ticket gets on all 3 routes. Tivoli Gardens is close by as is the Stroget, one of the worlds greatest shopping esplanades. Lots to see in Copenhagen. Well worth the hotel cost.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also doing a family cruise of the Baltics in August and have decided to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen pre-cruise. There seems to be quite a bit to do and we thought it would help us get adjusted to the time change before getting on the ship. This will be the first time to Europe for our children so we also wanted to have some time with them to wander Copenhagen and experience a European city at a leisurely pace. Haven't booked a hotel yet. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Yes, there are a lot to see and to do in Copenhagen. The following is just a sample list: canal boat tour, Tivoli Garden, National Museum, Christiansborg Palace, Museum of Danish Resistance, Amalienborg Palace, Rundetarn.

If you have more time, you can also visit Frederiksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle by train.

BTW, I recommend getting a copy of Rick Steves' Scandinavia guidebook from library or bookstore. It will give you many ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
. They have three HOHO bus routes all leaving from beside the City Hall not far from the Central Station. www.city-sightseeing.com One ticket gets on all 3 routes. Tivoli Gardens is close by as is the Stroget, one of the worlds greatest shopping esplanades. Lots to see in Copenhagen. Well worth the hotel cost.

I am planning to come in June 10th (leaving the US June 9th) for a June 12th departure. I have found that a HOHO bus is a good way to deal with jet lag, but I can't find out from their website a) whether I can buy tickets in advance and b) if the one day start can be flexible - that is if we start at noon on the 10th can we go until noon on the 11th (like we could if it was the London HOHO bus) or is it date based and we would have to buy a second day's ticket for the 11th (like it was in Barcelona).

Is there a good inexpensive hotel which has breakfast near the Tivoli Gardens? Because I thought we'd eat dinner there on the 11th.

I am planning to come in June 10th (leaving the US June 9th) for a June 12th departure.

Is there a good inexpensive hotel which has breakfast near the Tivoli Gardens? Because I thought we'd eat dinner there on the 11th.

There are a very limited number of rooms available in Copenhagen on these dates. There is an European Rheumatology Society meeting going on at that time and they have reserved almost all the rooms in the city. I ended booking the Ascot Hotel as it was one of the only ones left that looked half-way decent. You might want to start looking at booking now.

I read on the convention website the rooms would only be reserved until April30th, so maybe after that more hotel rooms will become available.

We are doing a Baltic cruise as well (HAL). We have a 14 year old son; I don't know the make up your family. I mention this because we were in Copenhagen a couple of years ago and LOVED it! Tivoli Gardens is like going back to the pre-Disney amusement park days...The city itself is quite charming. Strolling the main drag is wonderful and the physical beauty of the waterways is reminiscent of parts of Amsterdam. The people are especially friendly and almost all are fluent in English. You may want to get a Rick STeves article on Copenhagen. Recently he had a 1/2 hour tv show on Copenhagen which pretty much captured the city...Whether it's worth $1,000, I guess it depends upon your economic status...Nevertheless, be sure to spend some time in beautiful Copenhagen...

• 1 month later...
I am planning to come in June 10th (leaving the US June 9th) for a June 12th departure. I have found that a HOHO bus is a good way to deal with jet lag, but I can't find out from their website a) whether I can buy tickets in advance and b) if the one day start can be flexible - that is if we start at noon on the 10th can we go until noon on the 11th (like we could if it was the London HOHO bus) or is it date based and we would have to buy a second day's ticket for the 11th (like it was in Barcelona).

We are also planning on flying in early and staying in CPH pre cruise. We will be sailing on June 12th on the HAL Eurodam.

There are a very limited number of rooms available in Copenhagen on these dates. There is an European Rheumatology Society meeting going on at that time and they have reserved almost all the rooms in the city. I ended booking the Ascot Hotel as it was one of the only ones left that looked half-way decent. You might want to start looking at booking now.

I read on the convention website the rooms would only be reserved until April30th, so maybe after that more hotel rooms will become available.

Debbie,

We're staying at the Ascot Hotel for one night when we return from our cruise. I agree it seemed fairly decent based on reviews and I got a fairly good price. I would be very interested in your impressions of the hotel once you get home (we're not going until September).

Thanks,

Debbie,

We're staying at the Ascot Hotel for one night when we return from our cruise. I agree it seemed fairly decent based on reviews and I got a fairly good price. I would be very interested in your impressions of the hotel once you get home (we're not going until September).

Thanks,

I'll try to remember to post a review if we end up staying there. That's my plan for the moment but if a lot of rooms open up at the end of April, I may switch to another hotel. It really depends on price and location. On the other hand, I did read a good review of the Ascot on the New York Times (an old article).

Please do check www.visitcopenhagen.dk also in english for hotels. Even the 2 stars hotels are OK. The location is important ,stay max 1km from Tivoli and Rådhusplatsen. Copenhagen is a wonderful town. Just walk around,eat danish food and drink the beer, maybee take the local canal tour and go to Tivoli.

Welcome!

Please do check www.visitcopenhagen.dk also in english for hotels. Even the 2 stars hotels are OK. The location is important ,stay max 1km from Tivoli and Rådhusplatsen. Copenhagen is a wonderful town. Just walk around,eat danish food and drink the beer, maybee take the local canal tour and go to Tivoli.

Welcome!

Is the Nyhavn area still within 1 km or do you think that is too far out from a central location?

Archived