London Hotel - Suggestions Please

ALANG

Hi,

I was also looking for a hotel in London pre cruise.

The Cavandish London looks nice but $450-500/night is

a bit high. I could go on a 4 night cruise for that price!

Overall London hotel prices are way out of reality with

the rest of the world. Even youth hostels are $150/night?

I saw a lot of dives (extremlvery poor reviews on tripadvisor)

for only $300 a night.

I think prices will drop considering whats happening in the

economy. Hopefully London travel will be more reasonable!

I recently saw a news show that said that the number of tourists

in London is down.

My opinion.

You could check out the Hoxton.

We stayed there for one night and really liked the place, it's very chic and modern with friendly staff and a lively bar. It's about 5-10 mins walk from Old Street tube station, and takes about 15 mins on the tube to Covent Garden area. Because it is just slightly out of the west end you can sometimes get a good rate (from £59)

http://www.hoxtonhotel.com/

Overall London hotel prices are way out of reality with the rest of the world.
London is not "the rest of the world".

If you want to compare London prices, compare them to Paris and New York. That will show you whether they are actually out of line.

There are plenty of decent deals around. You just need to do the legwork, or get someone else to do it.

You can even stay at the Hoxton for as little as £1 a night - I believe that (very limited!) offer is something that they still do.

You can even stay at the Hoxton for as little as £1 a night - I believe that (very limited!) offer is something that they still do.

I was lucky enough to get one of those rooms!

I would pay to go back though, it's really lovely. Much better than the Thistle Barbican, which I got on a £10 birthday sale deal from Last Minute and was terrible.

Will be staying in London for a 2 day pre-cruise in August 09. Any recommendations and comments are most welcomed.

Alan

There could be dozens of different answers to this question depending on your budget. As one poster thought the Cavendish reasonable, so another didn't. If you are on a tight budget you could look at the "chain" hotels - Holiday Inn, Travelodge, Premier Inn etc. They are usually fairly central and reasonably cheap if you book far enough in advance. It also depends on where you want to be - West End, Covent Garden, Knightsbridge or further out but cheaper. As another poster says, you need to do some leg work as only you will know how much you want to spend and where you want to be.

If you don't get a viable suggestion here, you could go to Trip Advisor, then to London hotels, go to the center column and hit London hotels and scroll down till you find something interesting and read the reviews. Or you could go to London Forums and ask for suggestions in your price range. You can also look up reviews on the ones you like. All of this may keep you busy till your cruise. :rolleyes:

Here are a few suggestions. If you have any hotel points with the major players (hilton,marriott,etc), you could use your points. I have stayed at the Tara. Not a bad location; you would be in Kennington, a short walk to Kenningston Palace(Princess Diana & Charles old residence, plus the park is there). There are a lot of pubs in that area. I have also stayed at several Hiltons, Marriotts, and Hyatt's in downtown.

Here are a few suggestions. If you have any hotel points with the major players (hilton,marriott,etc), you could use your points. I have stayed at the Tara. Not a bad location; you would be in Kennington, a short walk to Kenningston Palace(Princess Diana & Charles old residence, plus the park is there). There are a lot of pubs in that area. I have also stayed at several Hiltons, Marriotts, and Hyatt's in downtown.

Please do not mistake "Kennington" with Kensington" - they are VERY different parts of London!

Kensington is one of the best places to stay - central but expensive.

Kennington, however, is neither !

If you want a large hotel right near a tube station try The Millenium Gloucester. You can get rooms on the Executive Floor (continental breakfast included) for around £130/night plus tax on the weekends. A lovely small hotel very close to Kensington Gardens (10 minutes walk from High St. Ken tube station is the Kensington House Hotel. I found this on Trip Advisor and stayed there in September. It was really lovely.

Try the Luna & Simone, it is a small bed and breakfast run by 2 brothers near Victoria Station. This was recommended other posters to this board. We stayed in the quad room for less than anywhere else I could find. They have a good reputation on Trip Advisor also.

Last week we stayed at the Jurys Inn, Islington. The area has a good vibe, plenty of shops, restaurants and bars and is not touristy. Angel tube station was a few minutes walk away and from there you can be in central London in a very short time. The hotel was clean, comfortable and quiet - cost £129 for a double room. We'll definitely go back.

We stayed at the Marriott County Hall. Very nice location and not a problem at all with the hotel. One word of advice, don't keep the windows open as Big Ben could interrupt your sleep! ;)

We had easy access to the tube and also within walking distance to many places. Also a short taxi ride from Victoria Station with our luggage.

Loooking for a hotel in the central area of London, price is not the main concern as compared to location. Thanks!

Check out the Stafford Hotel in St james. Like staying at a posh country home where everyone knows your name. It's 'American Bar' is unique as it used to be an Officers' Club during the war. The wine cellars are extensive and interesting to see.

A good, low budget option, centrally located is Premier Inn, County Hall.

http://www.premierinn.com

and select London. There are a few in and around London but the County Hall one is a good location.

These hotels are very basic (a bit like travelodge) but they are very good if you just want somewhere to sleep without lots of frills.

We stayed in a great hotel near Earl's Court called Base2Stay in 2007 after our transatlantic. I found an article about it in the USA TODAY. It was wonderful and not expensive by London standards (at least in 2007). I would stay there again in a heartbeat. It is very modern. There were 5 of us in two rooms and there are shops, restaurants, the underground, and a wonderful bakery nearby.

Archived