How Much Do You Tip For Room Service?

abitaturbodog

How much do you tip for room service?

Do you tip the same no matter what you ordered? Or does morning coffee get less tip than sandwiches, salad and dessert?

What's the biggest tip you've ever given and why?

Have you ever skipped on the tip? Why?

Inquiring minds want to know....

The last time I ordered room service, it was lunch, and I had two plates (BLT and a cheesecake) so I tipped $2. Based on other responses to this question on other threads though, that might have been a buck too much for just one person in the cabin.

Usually $2. But on my first cruise, I was very seasick :mad:and when I answered the door for my BF's room service he noticed I was ill. He told me an apple will help and ran back to the galley and got me one. Gave the dear soul $5 tip on top of the tip my BF gave him. Felt better for the rest of the day. After that, I take one ginger pill with breakfast everyday and an apple.:D

Well, I thought that since I asked what was the most tip you've ever given it would be natural to ask the opposite -- if you've never given a tip.

I figured I'd get stories about awesome servers that got a big tip and some funny stories about having to wait 2 hours or the server always getting the order wrong or something like that.

There was no evil intention or anything like that, if that's what you're asking.

• Administrators

Do you tip the same no matter what you ordered? Or does morning coffee get less tip than sandwiches, salad and dessert?

Total -- $2 for a small breakfast order (coffee and danish) up to $10 for a dinner order with two trays, etc. Those numbers went up for us a few years ago after a dinner delivery when we later had to carry the trays, plates, bowls, flatware, plate covers, etc. into the hallway and realized they are actually very heavy and hard to balance and keep level. That put "room service waitstaff" into the category of "jobs I wouldn't want to do" and increased the tips for it. :)

So now, it's pretty much a "guesstimate" based on the number of trays the waiter has to bring, any special requests we made, etc. I've never skipped on a room service tip, no.

Provide a gratuity that you think is earned based on the service provided.

I'll tip from $1 to $3, depending on the size of the order. But one time I ordered some cookies and realized after I'd hung up the phone that the lowest bill I had in the cabin was a $10 bill. Rather than stiff the fellow, the lucky guy got a $10 tip for cookies :eek: This was on Celebrity where they didn't have you sign for room service so I couldn't write in a tip.

1. How much do you tip for room service?

2. Do you tip the same no matter what you ordered? Or does morning coffee get less tip than sandwiches, salad and dessert?

3. What's the biggest tip you've ever given and why?

4. Have you ever skipped on the tip? Why?

1. $2.00

2. Yes

3. $3.00 I ordered extra stuff

4. Nope, got up and got dressed and ran to the pursers desk to get change.

Fred

One early morning I was dismayed to find that upon delivery of our coffee/danish room service breakfast, we had no bills smaller than a $20! I was not about to tip $20, so I did manage to scrounge up $2 in change :o. I used to be a waitress, so I know how annoying all that change is, but a 200% tip is out of the question!

Lesson: Set out your room service breakfast tip before you go to bed! At least then you will know if you need to get change for a $20 for the morning's tip before you go to bed (and not be scrounging in the dark for change while delivery person is standing outside waiting).

As to the OP's question-I think $2 is standard, unless you are ordering a full 5 course meal for 4 people or something...

you do not have to tip room service in cash. when you sign the -0- receipt just add your tip there and sign. then it will show up on your sail and sign. i have done this many times and they don't mind at all. and i always give at least two bucks, usually more.

smiles, bee

you do not have to tip room service in cash. when you sign the -0- receipt just add your tip there and sign. then it will show up on your sail and sign. i have done this many times and they don't mind at all. and i always give at least two bucks, usually more.

smiles, bee

I didn't know you could do that!!! Seriously??

I usually order Room Service for coffee in the morning. Have done this dozens of times. I honestly don't ever remember signing anything... On CCL or RCCL. Then again, I'm not conscious until I've had coffee,,,, so I guess I wouldn't know if I sighed anything!!.....

If you could sign for your tip it would help me a lot. I'm currently hoarding my ones and fives.....Weird pre-cruise ritual... I know.

Archived