X on Solstice

delondin

I think one needs to be a bit careful when making reference to "obstructed" and "painted" until we actually have some reports and good pictures of how exactly Celebrity have done the "X" on the side. It's still unclear to me (bad pun) how opaque that balcony plexi-glass is. I'm thinking of one of those one way mirror effects as being a possible. We'll just have to wait and see.

Phil

After returning from the 2 night cruise on the 14th... I have to say that the glass was in NO WAY PAINTED.... it is a tint used to form the "X". After looking thru the tinting, there was no visible obstruction from my point of view. We were in stateroom 7244 and I was not happy looking DOWN on the tops of life boats.....

We were in stateroom 7244 and I was not happy looking DOWN on the tops of life boats.....

Common Problem on many newer ships - Celebrity Millennium class, RCI Radiance Class, HAL Vista Class, Carnival Spirit Class, Island/Coral Princess, Queen Victoria and Costa Mediterranea all immediately come to mind as having the same issue. Any ship that has indented sides will suffer from the "dent" rooms looking down on the tops of lifeboats.

The "X" is definitely tinted glass - like you'd see in cars. You can see through it and the cabin we looked at had partially tinted and partially clear glass.

Nice. We need to see a picture form the "other side".

Not quite sure what this guy was trying to accomplish... unless he was cleaning a spilled drink!

;)

The "X" is definitely tinted glass - like you'd see in cars. You can see through it and the cabin we looked at had partially tinted and partially clear glass.

This is exactly what I expected as it exists on the Freedom Class ships. I saw no reason why SOLSTICE would be any different.

Ernie

I am on in 3 weeks and my cabin glass (8240) is half clear and half tinted. That will be a revealing photograph.............I hope.

Which asks the question: It the glass half tinted or half clear?

:p

Don't get too revealing and scare my dog.

:eek:

Hi All,

I have just returned from the Nov. 14th Naming Cruise. My DW and I went and saw the Penthouse Suite (open for viewing) and it is one of the balconies with the -X-. When on the veranda it is like having a tinted window in a car or as many of us here in Fla. have on our homes. It does not hinder looking out if you are seated (just a little darker).

Hope this helps.

Bob

I will be in 6239 Nov. 23 cruise, and if you look on the plans on Celebrity site the rooms ending in 39 are on the angle towards the back, with no obstruction and hopefully a larger balcony. 7239 seem to be the second one back on the angle. I'll know in a few days. Happy Cruise no matter what room!!!!!!!

After returning from the 2 night cruise on the 14th... I have to say that the glass was in NO WAY PAINTED.... it is a tint used to form the "X". After looking thru the tinting, there was no visible obstruction from my point of view. We were in stateroom 7244 and I was not happy looking DOWN on the tops of life boats.....

Hey... you've been in my cabin, all be it a few months early:p

So go on, apart from the view looking down which I've kind of come to terms with, what's it like ? I guess there's not too much of an obstruction if you are looking out, but at what kind of angle does it become a problem? And the room itself - room to swing cats? Bed or sofa next to window ? We will have 3 in the room, did you make use of the pullman?

Itching to find out more !!;)

Hey... you've been in my cabin, all be it a few months early:p

So go on, apart from the view looking down which I've kind of come to terms with, what's it like ? I guess there's not too much of an obstruction if you are looking out, but at what kind of angle does it become a problem? And the room itself - room to swing cats? Bed or sofa next to window ? We will have 3 in the room, did you make use of the pullman?

Itching to find out more !!;)

If looking straight down when standing on the balcony you will see no water.... just the entire top of the lifeboat. Swing Cats ??? Bed next to wondow which I personally do not care for. I viewed another stateroom that was reversed and the layout was much better as well as seeming large/spacious ! There was no pullman berth in this stateroom...a sofa and thats it. We tried to open it up, but it did not open. Bathroom....limited counter space. I would bring a hanging toiletry device if you have one. There are shelves in the bathroom in a glass cabinet though for space. Soap rather than Body wash was only provided for showering or the sink usage as well. Drawers in the vanity area are very tiny and do not hold much at all. They do get rather warm too because of the heat coming from the fridge. Closet space... a tad less than I am used to, and with the sofa right there, it does make it difficult to open the right side and get to anything.

Beautiful ship and I think you will enjoy the elegance of it all.....I just was not totally thrilled with the room.

Originally Posted by travelntreats viewpost.gif

I stayed in 6244 if anyone has questions about the ship, I will try to answer the best I can.

Hang on a minute... bit confused now... 6244 or :confused:

Originally Posted by travelntreats ...We were in stateroom 7244 and I was not happy looking DOWN on the tops of life boats..... :confused::confused:

We are in 7244 and I was told by Celebrity that 3rd bed is a pullman

Hoping you were in 6244, and our view a deck above might not be quite so orange ??

Archived