X on Solstice

delondin

any obstruction with this cabin?

I'd say 80% obstructed http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=88&pos=23

But is this really an obstruction? If you are standing on the balcony you are fine. On Voyager of the Seas all of the balconies have a solid railing, but on Navigator they changed to glass. No one would ever consider a Voyager balcony to be obstructed.

I'd say 80% obstructed http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=88&pos=23

But is this really an obstruction? If you are standing on the balcony you are fine. On Voyager of the Seas all of the balconies have a solid railing, but on Navigator they changed to glass. No one would ever consider a Voyager balcony to be obstructed.

Thanks for the pictures. So basically it is opaque glass? I was worried it was a great big wooden X stuck on the side of the ship in front of the balconies so you would have your view blocked depending on what part of the X you were at. Why are they saying on other threads to avoid these cabins?

I think one needs to be a bit careful when making reference to "obstructed" and "painted" until we actually have some reports and good pictures of how exactly Celebrity have done the "X" on the side. It's still unclear to me (bad pun) how opaque that balcony plexi-glass is. I'm thinking of one of those one way mirror effects as being a possible. We'll just have to wait and see.

Phil

It looks very classy. I think they will keep it. Look at the god awful beams that DO obstruct the CC cabins on the sky deck of the Millie class. You cant take a picture without a beam going through it. No they couldn't change them if they wanted too, but people now just accept them and if they don't want to deal with the beam they don't book those cabins.

surprises are always in store when you choose to book the first few sailings of a new ship. That is something that people need to remember.

I had no idea what I was in for on the sky deck in what became a CC cabin, on Millie's second week out. :eek: BUT! at least I was able to come back and report so that others would be educated. Its gonna take a while for us to learn all the positives and negatives when it comes to cabin selection on the solstice.

In the mean time, people who have these first cruises booked need to realize they took a risk.

For the first month, I consider passengers on the Solstice Guinea Pigs.:D

The same reason I will never put myself in that situation again..

I for one think that the "X" on the hump looks great! I'm glad to see that it is more visible now. I like a company that is proud of their logo, and with an incredible new ship like this one, I'd be showing off my "X!"

amazing photos! Is it just me? Those Princess ships have one ugly butt end! :eek: So strange..:confused:

Nope, not just you. I think they are horrible. BUT, at least they got rid of the handle:D The others look like you can pick them up and toss them out to sea. hee hee That one picture, I am sure it is just the angle of it, looks like the butt end has already been in an accident. Of course they all look like they have been rear ended to me:D No offense, just don't find them to be attractive ships at all.

Looking at that "new" X on the hump balconies I have to wonder - would they really be so stupid as to use something that would be totally opaque on the balcony plexiglass? Especially on Royal & Penthouse Suite balconies? My guess is no - It is probably a coating similar to what is used commonly on city buses for exterior advertising - creates a "solid" appearance from the outside, but transparent from the inside so that you can see out. Will probably look "tinted" to those sitting on the balconies if anything ....... Then again I could be totally wrong ......

Looking at that "new" X on the hump balconies I have to wonder - would they really be so stupid as to use something that would be totally opaque on the balcony plexiglass? Especially on Royal & Penthouse Suite balconies? My guess is no - It is probably a coating similar to what is used commonly on city buses for exterior advertising - creates a "solid" appearance from the outside, but transparent from the inside so that you can see out. Will probably look "tinted" to those sitting on the balconies if anything ....... Then again I could be totally wrong ......

That would make sense if this had all been planned in advance. Given what we know already, this was apparently a last minute decision and who knows what the constaints were when they decided that the initial X did not appear distinctly enough to suit them.

That would make sense if this had all been planned in advance. Given what we know already, this was apparently a last minute decision and who knows what the constaints were when they decided that the initial X did not appear distinctly enough to suit them.

There would have been plenty of time between the ship being deleivered to Celebrity in Papenburg last month and her arrival in FLL to have the needed decals made, or even totally new panels made. The balcony panels are made to be easily removed and replaced in case of damage, so no reason to think that it could not be accomplished literally overnight once the ship arrived in FLL. At 64 total (32 panels per side) it is not so much - especially if you still have a team of workmen onbard already. Just a thought ......

Interestingly it appears as whatever has been done is from the backside, as the reflection on the front is just as intense on the white part of the panels as on the clear part.

Hello everyone,

I sailed on the Nov 10/11 pre-inagural. Solstice is a BEAUTIFUL ship!

There were some cabins available for viewing. One from each cabin class. I wondered why a few of them had strips of extra dark tinting on the balcony glass. Mystery solved...

The big X is done with dark window tinting, sort of like limo tinting. From the back, you can see through the tinting. From the front, it appears like a reflective mirror.

So no, these balconies are not obstructed. They just have a strip of different colored window tinting on them. :-)

There would have been plenty of time between the ship being deleivered to Celebrity in Papenburg last month and her arrival in FLL to have the needed decals made, or even totally new panels made. The balcony panels are made to be easily removed and replaced in case of damage, so no reason to think that it could not be accomplished literally overnight once the ship arrived in FLL. At 64 total (32 panels per side) it is not so much - especially if you still have a team of workmen onbard already. Just a thought ......

Interestingly it appears as whatever has been done is from the backside, as the reflection on the front is just as intense on the white part of the panels as on the clear part.

I agree... I am hoping for that as well. I really think it would be a crazy decision to paint the "X". I am really hoping you are right.

Hello everyone,

I sailed on the Nov 10/11 pre-inagural. Solstice is a BEAUTIFUL ship!

There were some cabins available for viewing. One from each cabin class. I wondered why a few of them had strips of extra dark tinting on the balcony glass. Mystery solved...

The big X is done with dark window tinting, sort of like limo tinting. From the back, you can see through the tinting. From the front, it appears like a reflective mirror.

So no, these balconies are not obstructed. They just have a strip of different colored window tinting on them. :-)

Thanks for the confirmation of my suppositions! Happy sailing to all :D

My guess is the "X" is not just paint. I would think it's a film they apply to the balcony. The FREEDOM class ships have the same thing. It's on the balcony railings on the forward hump below the cantilevered jacuzzi. On those ships it's actually a goldish colored mirrored film. If you are on the balcony, you can still see through it.

I've attached a pic for reference.

Ernie

web.jpg

Archived