Santiago

croosieloosie

Does anyone know if Santiago is easy to get around on your own? I have some places in mind to see, but not sure if we should try it on our own or use a tour company.

We plan on getting a rental car on the 2nd day to do some wineries and go to a hotel closer to Valparaiso, then turn it in in down there. Should we get it for the second day only or use it to get around in town?

Thanks I know there's a public transportation system. Is it easy for only English speakers?

Hi there,

Every few weeks I have to pop into Santiago and myself I find it much easier and efficient to use the transit system. They only recently opened up a toll highway and by pass syetm to alliviate the congestion on the highway. I know where I am going and I have missed exits and popped out of a tunnel almost on the other side of town. I find parking to be almost a treasure hunt at best!

Taxis are not expensive, the Metro is fast, clean and inexpensive. watch your bags if using backpacks etc. as much as you may blend there are very few foreigners in Chile not of spanish or latin decent. You will stand out to someone in a large city looking to snatch something. I wouldn't feel bad, they are looking for anyone including a local who is too relaxed. It's like say New York or any other large city. Petty thieves but nothing to be overlay worried about. be a smart world traveller.

Car rental agencies will really charge you for a drop off fee. basically they will have someone drive it back to Santiago or the airport for you- and you will pay. I do not know of any companies who swap their surplus of vehichles from the capital or airport to the coast. You may find a transfer/tour to th coast to be the same final price yet you get to relx and enjoy the scenery or wine tastings.

IF your ship departs on a Sunday no rental agencies in Valparaiso are open for returns. Only from Saturday at 2pm or Monday at 8am.

I have posted notes on the buses TUR Bus and once in Valparaiso it would be easy to pick up one of several winery tours without dragging your luggage around.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

Every few weeks I have to pop into Santiago and myself I find it much easier and efficient to use the transit system. They only recently opened up a toll highway and by pass syetm to alliviate the congestion on the highway. I know where I am going and I have missed exits and popped out of a tunnel almost on the other side of town. I find parking to be almost a treasure hunt at best!

Taxis are not expensive, the Metro is fast, clean and inexpensive. watch your bags if using backpacks etc. as much as you may blend there are very few foreigners in Chile not of spanish or latin decent. You will stand out to someone in a large city looking to snatch something. I wouldn't feel bad, they are looking for anyone including a local who is too relaxed. It's like say New York or any other large city. Petty thieves but nothing to be overlay worried about. be a smart world traveller.

Car rental agencies will really charge you for a drop off fee. basically they will have someone drive it back to Santiago or the airport for you- and you will pay. I do not know of any companies who swap their surplus of vehichles from the capital or airport to the coast. You may find a transfer/tour to th coast to be the same final price yet you get to relx and enjoy the scenery or wine tastings.

IF your ship departs on a Sunday no rental agencies in Valparaiso are open for returns. Only from Saturday at 2pm or Monday at 8am.

I have posted notes on the buses TUR Bus and once in Valparaiso it would be easy to pick up one of several winery tours without dragging your luggage around.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, yes it helps very much

The metro is easy for english speaking foreigners. Santiago also has a "hop on hop off" bus that I saw running on the streets. It probably goes by most of the major tourist sites. I don't know about the regular bus.

Thank you, I'l check into it. Any idea how to find the bus?

Mitzi --

Here are two helpful reviews. Neither of them takes long to read (unless you stop to take notes) and if I remember correctly, they answer some of your questions about doing Santiago on your own.

Link to Dileep's thread--excellent detailed review of the ports:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=5782916

Link to CathyK2's review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=738722

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Santiago for two days pre-cruise. We would like to visit the Concha Y Toro winery and on their website it says you can take the Santiago Metro then a 5 minute taxi ride to the winery and for USD$11 take a tour and tasting. I think our hotel is near the Metro and we love doing things on our own rather than with a big group so would prefer to do this. Could someone who knows Santiago well give me their opinion on this plan? Also, can we use USD to pay for the Metro and other small things, or should we be exchanging money at the airport to Chilean pesos? We will be at the Intercontinental hotel - any recommendations of places for dinner or other things to do while there? A half-day tour of Santiago is included with our package.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Santiago for two days pre-cruise. We would like to visit the Concha Y Toro winery and on their website it says you can take the Santiago Metro then a 5 minute taxi ride to the winery and for USD$11 take a tour and tasting. I think our hotel is near the Metro and we love doing things on our own rather than with a big group so would prefer to do this. Could someone who knows Santiago well give me their opinion on this plan? Also, can we use USD to pay for the Metro and other small things, or should we be exchanging money at the airport to Chilean pesos? We will be at the Intercontinental hotel - any recommendations of places for dinner or other things to do while there? A half-day tour of Santiago is included with our package.

We'll also be in Santiago 2 days pre-cruise in April. Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated. :)

Archived