Anyone have an update on Spirit Dry Dock?

Southernbelle73

Looks like they might have some wet weather down there this week.

yep, it is that time of the year. Almost everytime we have cruised or done a land trip to the Caribbean, east, west or south from Thanksgiving week until the first week of Dec we have hit some iffy weather..

Nita

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone... I found some great information about the deployment of the Norwegian's cruise ship spirit. You can might want to read up on it here:

http://www.cruisepublic.com/articles/cruise-news/76-norwegian-cruise-line/213-ncl-extends-norwegian-skys-deployment-in-miami-through-april-2010.html

'fraid it's about SKY not Spirit.

Hi everyone... I found some great information about the deployment of the Norwegian's cruise ship spirit. You can might want to read up on it here:

http://www.cruisepublic.com/articles/cruise-news/76-norwegian-cruise-line/213-ncl-extends-norwegian-skys-deployment-in-miami-through-april-2010.html

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.:)

Little FYI on the DryDock. The new engine is in place, they did have to cut a hole to put it in. But its not going to be online for a few more weeks - this came directly from the Captain. Only difference will be when the ship makes it to Costa Maya (currently 10am vs. 8am).

There was still a lot of work going on - beyond normal maintainance - last week. They kind of rushed it out of drydock and still had some things to work on (like the additional staterooms).

I will be traveling on the Spirit 12/28 - 1/4 and have # 10-672. It's not shown on the staterooms map so I assume it is a new addition.

Lucky you ,Thats the way go. How did you score a brand new room? Don't even tell me you got a greet price too. !! :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We just returned from the Nov. 30th sailing of the NCL Spirit. (The second cruise since it came out of Dry Dock.)

My opinion: They didn't get enough done.

As reported, the new engine is not yet online. But that is a very minor thing, the only real impact was the slightly later arrival at Costa Maya. (We greatly enjoyed the beach there, and would have liked having the additional time.)

However, there were LOTS of little problems, which indicated that they could have used more time in dry dock to square things away.

First, it was rumored that "all new memory-foam-top mattresses" were being installed in all classes of cabins. This did not happen. Most of the mattresses we saw in visiting various cabins were clearly old, thin, and definitely not "memory-foam-top." The beds in the NCL Spirit were among the very worst we've ever seen.

Next, there were a lot of little problems all throughout the ship. The crew could be seen throughout the days, working on doors, touching up paint and other trim, and doing various other minor construction work the entire time. There are still lots of "slightly" damaged furniture still in cabins, even two weeks out of dry dock.

Lastly, the crew just didn't seem to "have it all together" yet. I'm guessing that a lot of them were newly assigned to the Spirit, and were still getting the hang of their new ship. You could just see the confusion in their eyes, especially at the beginning of the voyage. Many simple things did not go smoothly at all.

Overall, I'm clearly disappointed with the NCL Spirit. I've sailed with NCL before and know they are capable of doing much better. I really don't think I'm willing to give them another chance anytime soon.

We just returned from the Nov. 30th sailing of the NCL Spirit. (The second cruise since it came out of Dry Dock.)

My opinion: They didn't get enough done.

As reported, the new engine is not yet online. But that is a very minor thing, the only real impact was the slightly later arrival at Costa Maya. (We greatly enjoyed the beach there, and would have liked having the additional time.)

However, there were LOTS of little problems, which indicated that they could have used more time in dry dock to square things away.

First, it was rumored that "all new memory-foam-top mattresses" were being installed in all classes of cabins. This did not happen. Most of the mattresses we saw in visiting various cabins were clearly old, thin, and definitely not "memory-foam-top." The beds in the NCL Spirit were among the very worst we've ever seen.

Next, there were a lot of little problems all throughout the ship. The crew could be seen throughout the days, working on doors, touching up paint and other trim, and doing various other minor construction work the entire time. There are still lots of "slightly" damaged furniture still in cabins, even two weeks out of dry dock.

Lastly, the crew just didn't seem to "have it all together" yet. I'm guessing that a lot of them were newly assigned to the Spirit, and were still getting the hang of their new ship. You could just see the confusion in their eyes, especially at the beginning of the voyage. Many simple things did not go smoothly at all.

Overall, I'm clearly disappointed with the NCL Spirit. I've sailed with NCL before and know they are capable of doing much better. I really don't think I'm willing to give them another chance anytime soon.

Bruce, I am sorry you were disappointed, we were not, at all, with the exception of the crew not having it together in some cases. I was led to believe many of the crew were new to the ship as you suspected. Our cabins stewards were clearly untrained, lazy, over worked or something. As for the beds, ours were heaven. Although the furniture wasn't new in the cabins it was in good shape. Except for the cabins being a little small we were very impressed. After 20 plus cruises we are used to the crew working on maintainance around the ship regardless of dry dock or whatever. I guess your observations compared to ours shows, not only is food subjective, but all aspects of cruising or anything else for that matter can be objective. Please don't give up on NCL because of one bad experience.

Nita

• 1 year later...
Bruce, I am sorry you were disappointed, we were not, at all, with the exception of the crew not having it together in some cases. I was led to believe many of the crew were new to the ship as you suspected. Our cabins stewards were clearly untrained, lazy, over worked or something. As for the beds, ours were heaven. Although the furniture wasn't new in the cabins it was in good shape. Except for the cabins being a little small we were very impressed. After 20 plus cruises we are used to the crew working on maintainance around the ship regardless of dry dock or whatever. I guess your observations compared to ours shows, not only is food subjective, but all aspects of cruising or anything else for that matter can be objective. Please don't give up on NCL because of one bad experience.

Nita

I have stayed in hotels and motels where new mattresses were replacing old mattresses. This process takes over a month folks, not one or two weeks. Dry docks are done for ships mostly for the ship's engines, generators, and hulls, replace carpets, paint, etc., not to replace furniture. While much can be done during a dry dock as far as the furniture is concerned, they are replacing water logged carpets and fixing bath room tiles almost all of the time. Not only on ships but in hotels as well...

Archived