Pet peeve-Cell phone etiquette!

remydiva

• 1 month later...

No question about it - cell phone use has become a problem on the ships as well as so many other places. Got a kick out of your comment about the transfer instructions. It is astonishing the things people will say in a public forum while on a cell phone.

A few months ago I stood in the Pharmacy waiting while the person ahead of me placed a telephone order for something (not related to the Pharmacy). Read off his credit card number and expiration date in full hearing of the entire line. I have a good memory for numbers for some reason. When he finally completed his call and was paying for his prescription (having held all of us up), I repeated the numbers to him and politely asked him to please turn over his card and read us the security code since that's all that we were missing in order to take full advantage of his unexpected largesse. :D

(His reply cannot be repeated here but I think he may have finally figured out that his actions had been a bit unwise, to say the least.)

Sorry you had such an unfortunate experience.

No question about it - cell phone use has become a problem on the ships as well as so many other places. Got a kick out of your comment about the transfer instructions. It is astonishing the things people will say in a public forum while on a cell phone.

A few months ago I stood in the Pharmacy waiting while the person ahead of me placed a telephone order for something (not related to the Pharmacy). Read off his credit card number and expiration date in full hearing of the entire line. I have a good memory for numbers for some reason. When he finally completed his call and was paying for his prescription (having held all of us up), I repeated the numbers to him and politely asked him to please turn over his card and read us the security code since that's all that we were missing in order to take full advantage of his unexpected largesse. :D

(His reply cannot be repeated here but I think he may have finally figured out that his actions had been a bit unwise, to say the least.)

I like your style!!

Ron

What a great response you had for this clueless man. LOL

Can you remember the number? I need to book another cruise.

I read a while ago where a girl who hated to hear someone else's cell phone converstions would pull out a book and start reading outloud right next to the person. I have not done this yet......but will be packing a book in my purse to try it on my cruise coming up in February!!!!!

I have a rule in my office that when I am with a patient I won't take ANY calls unless it is a dire emergency.

I also have a sign printed that tells patients to turn off their phones when they enter a treatment area.

I had a patient who answered her phone and was chatting for about 10 minutes . Her prep was not done when I came into the room, as she was yakking and my assistant politely waited for her to finish her "nonsense" call, so I waited for her to be prepped so I could begin her treatment.

She was billed for the down time of my assistant and myself.:)

Expensive phone call.;)

It's amazing the tidbits of info you can overhear because these people don't realize others can hear them.

A new law in California began yesterday that makes it illegal to text or read a text message while driving. Last July, a law began that if you are on a cell phone while driving, you need to be using a hands-free device (as if you're still not distracted:rolleyes:). Just about every day, I can see someone driving while holding a phone up to their ear. California and the City of LA are broke, but maybe they should up the fine and have the LAPD checking out drivers. They can bring in a lot of fines.

Only once on a cruise has a mobile phone user really upset us and that was doing an expensive ships tour of the Ephesus in Turkey and one women talked through most of the tour in a louder voice than our tour guide. Despite numerous requests to keep things a bit quieter she totally ignored everyone.

Wouldn't it be nice if they IMMEDIATELY got their cell phone bills while on board? It can't be cheap yakking away w/ international rates..
Problem is more related to this going on in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands (at least on ATT). If all cruiselines would post guidelines on cell phone use, it would go wonders to helping alleviate this problem. Sometimes all the selfish need is a reminder that they are selfish.

"Sometimes all the selfish need is a reminder that they are selfish."

HA! Like that would teach them anything! The selfish don't care what anyone else thinks. They're too self-centered to think that what they're doing could possibly impact others, and if it does .......... Oh Well! It's what I want to do!

I've had the misfortune of having loud-voiced cell phone yackers on balconies next to mine on more than one cruise. It sure wrecks the idea of being able to relax and enjoy the peace & quiet as I watch the sea passing by, on the balcony that I paid extra for.

Until I hear a cell-phone user say "The kidney/liver/heart is on its way?!!! I'll be there ASAP!, I will loathe cell phone existence. 99.9% of what I have heard is non-essential gabbing at a far too loud decibel range.

I don't agree with you (except the decibel range part). If I'm running late somewhere or if I'm not home and need to get in touch with someone, it's great to have the cell phone around. They are also great for business use when someone is out of the office and needs to be reached. On a cruise, I would agree that there is no major need for a cell phone. I will say that with the advent of popularity of blackberrys that my commuter rail trains have been much quieter. Of course, I say that as crackberry addict. ;)

Only once on a cruise has a mobile phone user really upset us and that was doing an expensive ships tour of the Ephesus in Turkey and one women talked through most of the tour in a louder voice than our tour guide. Despite numerous requests to keep things a bit quieter she totally ignored everyone.

I had this same experience on a tour in Costa Rica. The women was jabbering away in spanish on the tour bus so loud, we were unable to hear the tour guide. I finally asked her to hang up and let us here the tour guide. She did comply.

I think that Mobile phones, Blackberries and other wireless communication devices are great tools and a necessity for most of us in this day and age.

Like most people, I would prefer not to have to listen to others jabbering away in public places, on their phones, especially when they are engaged in an obvious non-essential type of conversation.

I would think with a little care for fellow passengers. etc. these people could find a semi-private place to conduct their conversations, especially since most of these calls are originated by them.

Perhaps, people should be a little quicker to advise them, when they are interfering with a tour guide or other important ongoing function.

This is great!!

some time s a person who has diffulicty hearing speaks louder then those who dont have hearing problems... to us they are screaming , even hearing aides dont work well with cell phones or house phones ,

as far as using cell phones i do call home once in port to check on my rescue to make sure all animals are in good health and no problems,,, and to check on my aging mother , i also know about loud speaking because my husband is deaf , hearing aides wont repair the damage vetiam did to his hearing .. some times calls have to be made.,, just like now those that are on a cruise and the fire again in los angles i dont blame them for wanting to make sure they have a home to go back too/.... so give the people a break ...

Ever heard of e-mail?

:confused:

Trust me I have checked them out, they can be purchased for as little as $35 but aren't legal in the a U.S.

Bummer

There are jammers & there are jammers but who cares if they're illegal in the US, you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean, so who's rules apply?

I don't agree with you (except the decibel range part). If I'm running late somewhere or if I'm not home and need to get in touch with someone, it's great to have the cell phone around. They are also great for business use when someone is out of the office and needs to be reached. On a cruise, I would agree that there is no major need for a cell phone. I will say that with the advent of popularity of blackberrys that my commuter rail trains have been much quieter. Of course, I say that as crackberry addict. ;)

And on a commuter train a few months ago the engineer was so busy texting, that he didn't see a warning light and didn't sidetrack his train. 26 people, including the engineer, were killed.

I have a cheap cell phone plan that charges me by the minute. I don't use my phone very much. It was nice, however, when we were in St. Thomas last year on our Christmas cruise to be able to call my mother and for DH to call his mother. We did not have reception in our inside cabin, so we made the calls from the Promenade Deck. But I was careful to find a place away from other people. Which, I guess, not everyone else with a cell phone does.

Last spring, when I was on a tour of gardens in Florida, a woman answered her cell phone. She was oblivious to everyone around her. Finally the guide got her attention and she moved away from the rest of the tour group. He got applause.

Archived