Internet on RCL - too much money???

138east

I have noticed that the respose time on their old IBM Windows 2000 is much slower that if you have your own laptop. That is why I now carry a small 9" laptop with me just for accessing the onboard wireless without using there computers.

Radiance and Voyager class ships do offer unlimited Internet access at $10/day - CyberCabin - it´s dial up from your cabin.

I know there heave been some reports about it being discontinued on the boards, but my experience has been different. It was still offered on the Jewel in Sept. and the printed brochures for 2009/2010 still offers it as well.

The WiFi is not that slow at all. Typical speed in my experience is 11Mbps. Of course it always depends on what you want to do, but for emails it´s fast enough.

As they start to charge you after 30 seconds for the first minute, I´ve often downloaded and or sent my e´s for free.

My last cruise on the Navigator I used the UN-limited CyberCabin (still have the short cut on my laptop:o) And I loved it. I didn't think it was slow at all. It allowed me to do just what I needed to do. Well worth it for me..

Bills, I use my lap top because it has my short cuts. Allows me to get to my banking without going through all the security issues that I need to do using a public computer etc. I can get where I need to be alot faster on my laptop then a public computer..

Equipment isn't the major cost here - a PC can be had for cheap, add in the buying power of RCCL and it's dirt cheap. Cellphone/satellite service from a ship at sea can't be cheap - that's what you're paying for.

I guess they have to charge something, but I don't think the charge should be equal for someone using their equipment or if you bring your own. I have a phone that can handle wi fi, but they still charge the same thing for me to connect with it while on board. That's just not right.

I'd bring your laptop no matter what regardless. You can save a lot of online time composing emails or documents and log on just to send them, or downloading emails etc and reading them offline. If a site 'hangs' on you -on their computers you can't reboot them - you have to go get someone - meanwhile your email or banking or whatever is sitting open. And sometimes the connection hangs when you try to log off - if you are on your own laptop - you shut it off - connection is gone - can't do same with their computers.

I just read all the replies and I am not sure if I found an answer to my question which is: Sailing Mariner of the Seas. How much is the internet cost? I gather there are no deals like on Carnival? Should I bring my laptop?

Thanks,

Robb

I just read all the replies and I am not sure if I found an answer to my question which is: Sailing Mariner of the Seas. How much is the internet cost? I gather there are no deals like on Carnival? Should I bring my laptop?

Thanks,

Robb

From the website:

1. Is Wi-Fi available throughout the ship?

The service is available in selected areas of the ship. For more information, contact Guest Services.

2. Is Wi-Fi available in my stateroom?

Internet access is available within your stateroom, using your own laptop.

For more information, contact Guest Services.

From previous experience:

$.55 per minute

Or pre-paid Internet Packages:

60 Minutes............. $28

90 Minutes............. $38

150 Minutes........... $55

• 1 month later...
I get what you are trying to say, but IMO, internet rates do not influence peoples' decision on whether to cruise.

The savvy cruiser will find a cheap internet cafe in a port of call. :)

Or learn how to set their email up as a POP-3 account in Outlook Express on their laptop, log on long enough to download messages (usually 1-2 minutes), then log off and read/reply and log on to send (another 1 minute connection.) So, if a C & A member you can easily keep up with your business email messages using only the coupons in your cabin's coupon books. That makes it FREE which is even better than cheap.

I found the internet service on the Serenade extremely slow which was a bit frustrating. I don't spend alot of time online so it wasn't a huge issue, but when you're paying by the minute and the speed is at a snail's pace it can be expensive. Overall, the Serenade is still my favorite ship, but faster internet would be nice.

In this day and age of technology the fees should be a lot less. Here in NYC you can get free WiFi in Times Square and other spots. Don't know why they can't offer the same on the cruise, or charge a nominal ammount like $10 to use their WiFi. if you need to use their computers it should also be something light. also, if you're worried about their being long lines for their computers, set it up like the spa with appointments. or set limits to how long a person can use it in a day, like no more than an hour and a half

In SJ there is a place a couple blocks to the right of the downtown piers...(there was a place by the sheraton but the building it was in was closed for renovations when i was there around thanksgiving.

i found a starbucks as well...free access, but only about 3 outlets in the place...and it was packed (and my battery stinks!) i think they were full of cruise ship crews and pax.

BTW On Ex i used my free minutes and bought a 1 hour package...the wireless was fairly fast (in cruise ship internet terms...) and i will do it again in Feb. I generally went to the library or RC online to use those hotspots...again, i needed an outlet.

i wrote my longer posts for my live thread off line then cut and pasted them here...worked pretty well...and i will do it again!

I found the internet service on the Serenade extremely slow which was a bit frustrating. I don't spend alot of time online so it wasn't a huge issue, but when you're paying by the minute and the speed is at a snail's pace it can be expensive. Overall, the Serenade is still my favorite ship, but faster internet would be nice.

wifi is the fastest available service. When using the onboard computers you are sharing that bandwidth and, as I think someone mentioned earlier, you do not have the ease of connecting and disconnecting you do when on your own laptop where you can monitor the actual connection. Sometimes their computers tell you are still connected (using your time up) when you are not.

we were just on the Explorer last month and no cybercabin on it anymore, my hubsand always used the unlimited and was disappointed that they no longer offered it.

They went to wifi as they had so many problems with the Cybercabins. I used to get one everytime I was onboard but the last few times I stayed with Wifi. I buy a package of time so it's less money per minute and in the Diamond/plus coupon book there is a 10.00 off coupon for internet so I use that also. I also work off line and I will copy and then paste to CC when I go online to save time and I type emails off line and they just send when I go online.:) If you are used to high speed cable like I am at home you will find it to be very slow. I find it comparable to dial up service.

Or learn how to set their email up as a POP-3 account in Outlook Express on their laptop, log on long enough to download messages (usually 1-2 minutes), then log off and read/reply and log on to send (another 1 minute connection.) So, if a C & A member you can easily keep up with your business email messages using only the coupons in your cabin's coupon books. That makes it FREE which is even better than cheap.

The only challenge is when you can't use POP3 forwarding and have to access email via a VPN or web-based email.

My email clients are on my home computer and when I bring my work laptop I have to access personal email via Yahoo online and work via a VPN

We did get the largest package and did have C&A coupons but sadly the Cybercabin option at $100/7 days was no longer available (Serenade of the Seas).

In this day and age of technology the fees should be a lot less. Here in NYC you can get free WiFi in Times Square and other spots. Don't know why they can't offer the same on the cruise, or charge a nominal ammount like $10 to use their WiFi. if you need to use their computers it should also be something light. also, if you're worried about their being long lines for their computers, set it up like the spa with appointments. or set limits to how long a person can use it in a day, like no more than an hour and a half

The problem is that you'd need an awfully LONG Cat5 cable to reach back to Times Square.

Satellite communication is not cheap. They also have to retrofit the ships so that the signals can get to each cabin-my wireless at home can't reach the kitchen from upstairs-can you imagine the density of the metal cabins all the way from the computer area on the ships...?

Cybercabin was $100/week and was a great idea, except the technology wasn't there to make it work and most cruisers asked for a refund.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived