Internet on RCL - too much money???

138east

I hate these threads that throw out a controversial issue, but it occurred to me that no one ever discusses the internet rates on the ships. I'm sure it's a big money maker, but in these economic times I would think it might be an attraction to offer more reasonable rates to attract cruisers. From what I've read on these forums, the speed is horrible, which quite frankly means to me that the cost should be less, but it seems to be even more. I read that you can no longer pay a flat rate for unlimited time for the duration of your cruise. What a disincentive!!!!

It is slow, and expensive - but in the days of cellphones and text messages - and it being a vacation - I don't think it's really a big detractor for most cruisers. Some who have to keep in touch for business I'm sure are not happy about it - but I think they are in the very small minority.

I hate these threads that throw out a controversial issue, but it occurred to me that no one ever discusses the internet rates on the ships. I'm sure it's a big money maker, but in these economic times I would think it might be an attraction to offer more reasonable rates to attract cruisers. From what I've read on these forums, the speed is horrible, which quite frankly means to me that the cost should be less, but it seems to be even more. I read that you can no longer pay a flat rate for unlimited time for the duration of your cruise. What a disincentive!!!!

I think it would be a much more fair billing scheme to charge by the KB, like cellphones and PDA's do. The way it is now, the slower the response time, the more money they make. The incentive should be to provide better service and make more money, not the other way around.

We've used the internet on both the Mariner and the Serenade and it wasn't that slow! We have been on in port and at sea - I will admit it was a little faster in port.

The last time our daughters were on it (greater than 30 minutes) - we were never charged! That was an even better deal!

If you just pop on and off to check your email, it's not that bad!

I agree with the OP on this one. My DH is a small business owner and unfortunately he can't be out of contact for more than a day or two he's in the "industry" so to speak and in these rough economic times, his clients pretty much require 24/7 access to him. For these reasons, it would be very difficult for us to take long cruises.

We don't care what the rate would be, but please RC, introduce a flat fee. Heck, anything so we don't need to be counting minutes. Honestly, we don't care about the charge, but I'm sure I'm not the only in this predicament. This is honestly my biggest wish of RC right now.

Thank you for bringing this up.

The internet on my recent Grandeur cruise was not as slow as it had been on other ships.

However I still felt it was overpriced. I also felt that they should offer an "unlimited package" that where you pay a base charge for "X" minutes and then the minimum per minute charge (currently $.37) continues to apply once you have gone over the base number of minutes. I bought the largest package and was charged full price for the minutes I used above that package during a session before being asked if I wanted to buy another package when I signed on again.

We were on Independance of the Seas a few weeks ago and bought the biggest package but they still managed to charge us extra on two occasions. When I complained to the pursers desk they were very pleasant and refunded the charges. In fact the IOS was the first ship that I have been on that didn't have a queue of arguing customers!

I would love to have unlimited internet time but given the number of passengers they would potentially need an enormous amount of bandwith if everyone tried to access the internet for hours on end. It would be interesting to know what capacities the ships have.

We were on Independance of the Seas a few weeks ago and bought the biggest package but they still managed to charge us extra on two occasions. When I complained to the pursers desk they were very pleasant and refunded the charges. In fact the IOS was the first ship that I have been on that didn't have a queue of arguing customers!

I would love to have unlimited internet time but given the number of passengers they would potentially need an enormous amount of bandwith if everyone tried to access the internet for hours on end. It would be interesting to know what capacities the ships have.

I see you boarded as we were disembarking!

One of the joys of having net access is to be able to post a daily blog. I'm a novice in comparison to others I've read here but it is quite good publicity for the line to have such positive feedback, those of us prepared to give up some of our holiday to report in.

When I had issues with the printer in RC Online they were quick to resolve it (I had to go to the Guest Relations desk to find someone) and to be honest we had no issues at all with the overall excellent service received.

I don't believe that hundreds, let alone thousands, of people will be trying to access the net at the same time. I don't know how many others brought their own laptops with but the couple of times I went to the public computers there was no-one there at all.

It would be nice for them to open up a bit and explain how the service is provided in order for us to access it. OBC for us bloggers would be an added bonus ;)

DH and I only ever use the internet on the ship to the tune/amount of the free internet C&A coupons we receive.

In any port of call (maybe except in the states) internet service is always faster and costs about $2-$5 for 15 minutes.

We always wait!

I'm sure if they only offered "unlimited" usage, there would be lines waiting to use the computers (for those who don't bring theirs along), as folks would be hogging the terminals.

I know that there are some who must be in touch periodically, but alot of folks would simply plant themselves there for HOURS!

Radiance and Voyager class ships do offer unlimited Internet access at $10/day - CyberCabin - it´s dial up from your cabin.

I know there heave been some reports about it being discontinued on the boards, but my experience has been different. It was still offered on the Jewel in Sept. and the printed brochures for 2009/2010 still offers it as well.

The WiFi is not that slow at all. Typical speed in my experience is 11Mbps. Of course it always depends on what you want to do, but for emails it´s fast enough.

As they start to charge you after 30 seconds for the first minute, I´ve often downloaded and or sent my e´s for free.

Any suggestions for internet cafes in the following ports?

San Juan

St Maarten

Dominica

Barbados

Antigua

I dont know about San Juan but I know that St. Maarten has an internet cafe in the shopping area close to the port. I used it to check the price of a watch I wanted to purchase.

I'm sure that the other ports of call have them too - and cheap! Just ask the locals once you get off the ship.

Will you pick me up some cockspur rum punch in Barbados? :confused::D

I don't believe that hundreds, let alone thousands, of people will be trying to access the net at the same time. I don't know how many others brought their own laptops with but the couple of times I went to the public computers there was no-one there at all.

The reason for the public computers not being used much is that in these days many people bring their laptops. Walk around the ship, especially the hotspot areas on a sea day and you´ll find many many people sitting there with their laptops.

A real problem regarding bandwith are people that use the internet service for phone services like skype or others. These services take up a lot of bandwidth and thus make it slow for everybody else.:mad:

I guess they have to charge something, but I don't think the charge should be equal for someone using their equipment or if you bring your own. I have a phone that can handle wi fi, but they still charge the same thing for me to connect with it while on board. That's just not right.

I guess they have to charge something, but I don't think the charge should be equal for someone using their equipment or if you bring your own. I have a phone that can handle wi fi, but they still charge the same thing for me to connect with it while on board. That's just not right.

:confused: May I ask why ?

I'm just off the Vision and was pleasantly surprised at the speed of the ship's computers in the Internet cafe. My iPhone wasn't cooperating, so I purchased an hour of time for use on sea days. In port I went to Internet cafes in Mazatlan and PV, for $4 per hour or so.

I agree with madforcruising that Internet access is probably well down the list of criteria for cruising. I understand the need to keep in touch, but I think it can be done fairly economically if you bring your laptop, download everything, log off, compose your replies and then log back in.

I find the internet prices to be in the same category as drink (alcohol) prices. At a certain point RCI prices it out of my 'zone' so I just won't pay for it anymore.

Maybe I'm lucky, I do not NEED to have an internet connection when I'm on vacation. And I don't NEED to drink alcohol when I'm on vacation either. Sure, I like the odd drink as much as anyone, but there comes a point where you just have to say, that is just too expensive, and you don't buy it anymore. I wouldn't feel particulary deprived doing without the internet or the alcohol.

For those that need the internet and/or the booze, if its too expensive on a cruise ship, you need to look at alternatives for vacations.

Archived