airline flight cancelled

Travelight

I went online to check my flight reservations and discovered one leg of my flight into Anchorage was not showing up.:eek:

So I called AA and was told that the flight had been cancelled!!!! :mad:

I have received no notice!

Fortunately our tickets were rerouted and reissued to an additional airline and later flight.

So, I guess the moral of the story is "check on your flights regularly just in case something changes!"

I went online to check my flight reservations and discovered one leg of my flight into Anchorage was not showing up.:eek:

So I called AA and was told that the flight had been cancelled!!!! :mad:

Fortunately our tickets were rerouted and reissued to an additional airline and later flight.

So, I guess the moral of the story is "check on your flights regularly just in case something changes!"

Good advice. Any changes on most of my flights and I get an email showing the change.

I am traveling to Europe next year and my return flight including the transfer in JFK has changed four times. The latest change has me making a 50 minute connection; so how I clear customs and make a 50 minute connection is beyond me. You are so right when you say; check your flights at least once a week.

I am traveling to Europe next year and my return flight including the transfer in JFK has changed four times. The latest change has me making a 50 minute connection; so how I clear customs and make a 50 minute connection is beyond me. You are so right when you say; check your flights at least once a week.

There is absolutely NO WAY you will make a 50 minute international connection at JFK. More like 3 hours. Luggage often takes 30-45 minutes to arrive from the plane. You have immigration, claim luggage, go through customs, go to either the transit desk to recheck luggage OR change terminals and check in yourself and luggage. Go through security to your gate.

CALL the airline and book a later flight out of JFK. Pick a flight you like, BEFORE you call. The conversation should go like this "you have changed my flight. The change is unacceptable. Could you please change flight XXXX to flight YYY??? Thank you."

IF you wait too long, one of two things may happen. Since you did nothing after the change, the airline takes your non-action as acceptance of the change. PLUS there may be no seats on the next flight out and you may have a looooong layover.

I went online to check my flight reservations and discovered one leg of my flight into Anchorage was not showing up.

So I called AA and was told that the flight had been cancelled!!!!

That happened to me with our first set of flights to Europe last Sept. I think it was on Lufthansa and I only found out by checking the flights myself. RCI did not send me any notification of the cancelled flight whatsoever. :mad: There were a couple more sets of airline reservations before it was all done. If you don't check regularly on your own, you could be up the proverbial creek. A lot of experienced flyers on this board held my hand and walked me through it. They're a good bunch here. :D

2P.P1

• 3 months later...

Well, it has happened again! I've been regularly checking on our flights on-line, and today they did not show up.

I called AA and spent almost 2 hours on the phone trying to find alternate flights. Since we used airline miles, the choices are almost nil.

I'm so afraid something will go wrong, and we will not be able to get to Anchorage for the cruise:(. I'm just super anxious about this now.

To top it all off, the agent told me our other flight was only partially ticketed! We were only ticketed out of San Francisco!!!! I don't know how they thought we were going to get to SF from SHV. This is after the second cancellation. She told me they messed up.

I think I'll go out to the airport tomorrow just to talk to an agent in person. I've never had a problem like this before.

Travelight- Here's what is going on (if you haven't figured it out already). As part of AA fleet reduction they now fly to ANC seasonally from June 1 - Sept 30 only with 1 daily flight from DFW. It looks like you're traveling in May, so there are no AA flights. It stinks they did not notify you on two occasions!

The good news is AA and Alaska Airlines (AS) have a close alliance and a lot of codeshares. It sounds like the latest reservation that ends in SFO was intended to be a connection to ANC on an AS flight (either "native" or codeshare). But the SFO-ANC leg is either not coming up in the system or got dropped.

I recommend an AA flight connecting to AS "metal". Seattle is an AS hub and there are quite a few flights; PDX, SFO, LAX, DEN, and ORD also have AS nonstops to ANC. Go onto the AS website and you can see what flights have frequent flyer award seats available...better to go to AA with specific flights and information.

Let us know the happy ending!

Well, it has happened again! I've been regularly checking on our flights on-line, and today they did not show up.

I called AA and spent almost 2 hours on the phone trying to find alternate flights. Since we used airline miles, the choices are almost nil.

This should not be true. If AA cancelled your flights, they should be able to open up award seats on another flight, even if none are showing as available. Try calling again and asking to speak to a supervisor. Explain what happened and have at least a couple alternate routings to suggest (as kenish posted), even if it states no award seats are available. Ask them to open them up, as you must change flights due to AA's cancellations.

Sometimes the airport agents are just as clueless as the ones on the phone. Don't give up; hang up and try again if you don't get anywhere. Good luck.

This is good advice, and BTW reflects the golden rule in FF mileage redemptions - if you don't like the answer, hang up and try again.

Travelight, here's the skinny: AA only flies once a day to ANC on its own equipment ("metal") - only from Dallas, and it's a seasonal service, May - September. All other AA routings to Alaska - paid or mileage redemption - will make use of Alaska Airlines for all or some part of the trip. You will need to pester American (not Alaska) for award seats - if you had bookings and the flight's been canceled, they're required to re-accommodate you, so do not accept any run-around. Speak to a supervisor or contact AA customer relations until you get satisfaction.

Going to the airport is a waste of gas and time. The ticket agents at the airport are not trained in mileage redemption or award bookings. All they'll do is tell you to phone Aadvantage (the AA FF program) which you can do from home in your jammies.

Thank you all for the good advice and info. Thanks for letting me know that they have to accommodate us with the airline miles. I'm calling them again right now. I'll let you all know how this all turns out. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the good advice and info. Thanks for letting me know that they have to accommodate us with the airline miles. I'm calling them again right now. I'll let you all know how this all turns out. :rolleyes:

Any luck with your call?

Any luck with your call?

Well, actually, we ended up with better flight times than we originally had. Now we are flying into Seattle on American and onto Anchorage on Alaska Air. We'll be getting in several hours earlier now. :D

I was on the phone a loooong time with the agent from AA and her supervisor to get us on other flights. I guess it made it more complicated because we used aadvantage airline miles - although it shouldn't make any difference. My SIL had paid for her flight and had her new flights in a matter of minutes! :rolleyes:

Now I'll just say a prayer that these flights stay open and do not get overbooked:eek: and that we make it safely to Alaska for a fantastic vacation.

I like a happy ending! The SEA connection is good. Alaska is a pretty good airline, and they have almost hourly flights from SEA-ANC. If your flight into SEA arrives late for some reason, you have a lot more options there versus other possible connection cities.

Archived