Sapphire Pricess 11/23 DELAYED

bobnsofi

TENDER PROBLEM in CABO, will reach LA at approx 11 am

Thanks for the info. Princess has been calling every one to advise not to get to the pier before 3:00pm but they are planning on leaving as scheduled at 4:00...don't see how that is possible!

This will be interesting to say the least!

I wonder what kind of tender problem this could be? Just curious. On the Prinsendam last month, we had a tender "problem" but the ship left more or less on time and they fixed the problem while we were at sea. In our case, the problem was that the machinery used to lift the tender out of the water broke down after the tender was about 10' out of the water. It took a lot of work but they were able to manually work the lift and stow the tender away. Fortunately, the weather was good; the crew was having a great time joking around and taking turns on the wrench (or whatever it was.) It took a LOT of effort and one man could work it for only about 5 minutes before he ran out of steam so there were 10 of them, including supervisors, taking turns.

Pam,

A gasket cracked and leaked all the hydrolic fluid out of the lift machinery while the tender was still in the water. They attempted to do repairs while we were anchored at

Cabo but finally used an electric wench to bring the tender on board. Didn't leave Cabo until approx. 6pm so we will be late into San Pedro. Question aboard is why didn't they winch it up and repair while we were sailing?

Anyway, there are several hundred passengers who are not at all happy. Most of the blue cards are demanding all kinds of things and apparently don't understand that manure happens.

I do feel bad for the ones who have to reschedule their flights at extra cost. Lots of problems as it is coming up on Thanksgiving week and seats are just not available.

May be a bunch of negative posts show up on the boards.

Kay

Well, some laugh when others use stewart instead of steward, but I have never seen a winch referred to as a wrench, or even funnier, an electric wench.

Good thing I was not drinking coffee when I read those posts, otherwise my keyboard would be a mess.

I wonder what the people thought would happen if the ship got underway with the tender in the water and tried to winch it aboard while moving. I could only imagine the noise it would have made to have the tender banging off the side of the ship, let alone the damage that would cause. I suppose there are probably people on there who think the tender should have just sailed along beside the ship all the way back to LA LOL. Maybe throw a rope and tow them.

This is one of the reasons why I always book my flight from the port in the afternoon or even the next day, 'cause, as was said before, manure happens. And who wants to be rushed and stressed getting off a relaxing cruise?

Well, some laugh when others use stewart instead of steward, but I have never seen a winch referred to as a wrench, or even funnier, an electric wench.

Good thing I was not drinking coffee when I read those posts, otherwise my keyboard would be a mess.

ROFL! In the case of the Prinsendam, it really was a wrench that they were using to turn the mechanism.

tenderfix1.jpg.7be7c1c76ba577c2a2a1c2276cde8f2c.jpg

tenderfix2.jpg.471028cd20af97283ec011c8387d1148.jpg

tenderfix3.jpg.50e2b3aa190b1ac1a7eb703a6cdc195a.jpg

I wonder what the people thought would happen if the ship got underway with the tender in the water and tried to winch it aboard while moving. I could only imagine the noise it would have made to have the tender banging off the side of the ship, let alone the damage that would cause.
In the case of the Prinsendam, the tender was pretty much secured to the lifting mechanism and held away from the ship. They first raised the ship and then used another mechanism to winch it in close to the side of the ship. There was no banging or swaying even though it was below and then brought up past the railing.

We are on this cruise tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should go with what Princess is saying and getting there at 3:00 or just go at the normal time around noon and see what happens. I just don't see how they can get everyone checked in and sail at regular time. That gives them 1 hour.

They still need to have muster and we have 1st dinner seating.

I am the type to just go with the flow but not sure what to do. :confused:

Toni

yep, the tender lift system

the captain is now reporting 10am arrival.

We are REALLY MOVING FAST!

lots of folks are stressed making alternative travel arrangements.

Princess is "comping" telephone and internet so alternative travel arrangements can be made.

And the internet has been fairly fast the entire trip

Toni,

We are leaving at the same time, but we have to drop the dogs off at the kennel and traffic in Los Angeles is never predictable. If we hit the port early we are just going to go over and visit the Lane Victory. It is 3.00 per adult to tour. There is also the Maritime museum we can hang out at.

I do not think if embarkation starts at three they will be leaving at four. If they do that will be the fastest I have ever seen the lines at Princess move. But I would plan on being at the port at three.

Toni,

We are leaving at the same time, but we have to drop the dogs off at the kennel and traffic in Los Angeles is never predictable. If we hit the port early we are just going to go over and visit the Lane Victory. It is 3.00 per adult to tour. There is also the Maritime museum we can hang out at.

I do not think if embarkation starts at three they will be leaving at four. If they do that will be the fastest I have ever seen the lines at Princess move. But I would plan on being at the port at three.

Thanks for the info on the tour Jeanne! I think we will just leave at the time we planned and play it by ear.

I'm thinking they will not sail as scheduled but even though I feel kind of stressed about it, I'm not going to! :)

Have a safe trip tomorrow and see you on Sunday 11:00!

Toni

theres no way we are going to be leaving until probably at least 6 tommarow if embarkations starts at 3

I really want to see Princes fit embarkation and muster in before sail away. Just one hour. :D That is what they are saying. The ship will leave, when they have everything loaded. Besides food, there is luggage. Going to be a fun trip.

Although lifeboat muster drill is normally held before the ship leaves port, it is not mandatory that it be done then. US Coast Guard regulations specify that it be held in the first 24hours. And that has been done on some of our delayed sailings which were after dark. The Captain decided it was safer to hold it mid-morning the following day.:)

Odd, I would have thought they would raise the tender, not the ship!
You're right, it's not my day. On Wednesday, my car died on the PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) with no transmission, or almost none. I could go backwards which got me off the highway. The car has less than 10K miles and after two full days, BMW still hasn't figured out what the problem is or how to fix it. I'm not a happy camper. :(

Being delayed by a couple of hours really doesn't bother me. I cannot see us leaving on time either, but I will be there at 3PM and in my cabin settling in regardless of what time we actually leave port.

We were delayed once in Buenos Aires on the Marco Polo sailing to Antarctica and were given one ridiculous excuse after the other for the delay. "Tidal changes" was my favorite, when it was clear equipment was being welded to the side of the ship in front of our eyes on the deck... We spent TWO DAYS stuck in BA while it was remedied and consequently had to miss a call at the Falkland Islands. I was not pleased.

A couple of hours delay would not bother me in the least, so long as dinner was served on time!!!

We just got off the Star in San Francisco. It was late arriving on Nov 10th and didn't get into SF until 10:30 am.

We were held at the airport for over an hr and then the bus took us to the ship. We didn't board until 3:30 pm. There were still people getting off the ship at 2:30. The area around the ship was very congested with luggage, people and stuff every where. The ship didn't sail until around 8pm. They couldn't tell us a specific time of departure.

They did announce that all the restuarants would be "open" sitting for that night. So I wouldn't worry about making your 1st sitting for dinner.

It will also depend on if there are any other ships in port tomorrow. That will make it harder.

We were lucky as the Star was the only one there.

Archived